Mandela Effect in Godzilla

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Re: Mandela Effect in Godzilla

Post by LockBite »

JAGzilla wrote:
LockBite wrote:
I remember seeing a broadcast version of a Godzilla movie where Godzilla fights Anguirus and breaks his jaw. I found out later that this was the Fake Godzilla in Mechagodzilla when I watched the actual film, but when I did, the scene played out differently. In my memory, they were fighting on an outcropping on the side of a mountain, and most notably, it was at night. Other than those two details, it was basically the same.
Now, see, this one is interesting, because I also remembered a mountain being involved in this battle. I first saw vs. Mechagodzilla at the age of about eight, in '97 or '98, and didn't see it again until somewhere in the mid-2000s. My recollection of the first viewing had a distance shot of Anguirus on the left side of the screen, walking along a barren, sandy mountain side and kind of minding his own business, when Fake Godzilla approaches him from the right and attacks. I didn't remember any of the fight beyond that, though, and was surprised to find how differently it actually plays out upon later viewings.
That’s right. It was at night, on a dusty mountain. Godzilla beats the shit out of Anguirus and breaks his jaw, then he exits the scene by retreating to the left of the screen and around the mountain.

The fight was shorter, too, and I don’t remember Mechagodzilla’s skin being damaged in a close-up like it was in the actual film. These points would serve as justification to reshoot the scene. Like the filmmakers wanted to assure the kids earlier on that no, our hero Godzilla didn’t just beat up his sidekick.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

In my version, it was actually daytime. And I don't remember any details of the actual fight itself.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

It's the opening scene + the later fight, with stuff missing because you just can't remember those details or because the tape was put on fast forward.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Ivo-goji wrote:It's the opening scene + the later fight, with stuff missing because you just can't remember those details.
That’s probably what it was. The memory itself isn’t exactly vivid. It may have been that I saw the beginning of the movie, then there was a commercial break or I went away from the tv for some reason, and when I came back, the fight happened.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Not really in a Godzilla film, but I remember Death Ghidorah having two heads for some reason.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

My early childhood memories confuse Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs Hedorah as the same film.

Of the two movies, the only bits I remember is Hedorah sliming the cat and a monster hanging onto a flying monster's neck before falling and causing a land slide (I know this is GvG and not DAM because I remember the climactic battle being at night.)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

For some reason I remember Godzilla 2014 being a good film.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

For the longest time I remembered the whole Godzilla vs. Biollante subplot of the soldier who dies after shooting Godzilla in the mouth with the ANEB being revisited in Godzilla vs. Megaguirus instead of Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla.

I also remembered the opening scene from Godzilla vs. Megalon playing out differently, with Rodan appearing alongside the new footage of Godzilla and Anguirus trying to escape Monster Island’s mayhem. Nothing too out-there, I just remembered Rodan following behind Anguirus during that scene.

I also remember GunHed being “good” as a kid :lol:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:For the longest time I remembered the whole Godzilla vs. Biollante/Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla subplot of the soldier who died after shooting Godzilla with the ANEB being revisited in Godzilla vs. Megaguirus and NOT Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla.

I also remembered the opening scene from Godzilla vs. Megalon playing out differently, with Rodan appearing alongside the new footage of Godzilla and Anguirus trying to escape Monster Island’s mayhem. Nothing too out-there, I just remembered Rodan following behind Anguirus during that scene.

I also remember GunHed being “good” as a kid :lol:
I remember Rodan in Godzilla VS. Megalon too just as you said it but there's another one and it's a big one for me as I've probably seen the scene over 50 times since I was about 9 year old. It's in Godzilla VS. Hedorah when Hedorah is in his flying form and destroys the construction site of a new building and causes a worker to scream, fall to his death and turn to bones before he hits the ground. I distinctly remember Hedorah flying OVER THE TOP of the building frame. I was like what the you know what when I watched it recently and saw that Hedorah actually passes through the building. I was so blown away, I rewatched that part like 5 times.
Dedicated To Darkness..

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

For a while I could have swore that the line in G2000 was "go through Godzilla like SHIT through a goose!" when I remember seeing it in the theater. I'm pretty sure it's always been CRAP because it's a reference to a line in Patton.
Maybe i remember it because my dad repeated it afterwards and said shit.
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's always been crap. I learned about G2K's existence via a newspaper review when it first came out, and they quoted that line.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

^One of the best lines in any Godzilla movie, English or Japanese, in my opinion. Just for how hammy and unnecessarily crude it is. It’s up there for me with “you stinkin rats what did you do to her!!”

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I believed that the heart at the end of GMK was a plant that grew Godzillas

That Godzilla's breath was actually Radio Breath and he used it by harnessing the radio waves around him

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

For the life of me, I could have swore Rebirth of Mothra was a continuation of the Heisei Godzilla series with the mother Mothra being the same individual who fought Godzilla and Battra. I can't quite recall why exactly, I think I misread something online or associated the props togethers given they look similar, was pretty young.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Desghidorah wrote:For the life of me, I could have swore Rebirth of Mothra was a continuation of the Heisei Godzilla series with the mother Mothra being the same individual who fought Godzilla and Battra. I can't quite recall why exactly, I think I misread something online or associated the props togethers given they look similar, was pretty young.
I used to think this too. Not an entirely unreasonable thing to assume, with the Showa series as a precedent, and the design similarities between the ROM mother Mothra and GvMII Mothra.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

It would be interesting if Grand King Ghidorah's cells were harvested to create the Dorats that became Heisei King Ghidorah.

Too bad it doesn't add up, with Mothra and the Elias having an overhauled backstory and stuff.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

In Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla (1974), I distinctly remember thinking that Mechagodzilla killed Anguiras.

Which I guess he might have since we never see Anguiras again in the Showa series, and I don't know what his healing capabilities are like, but it surely wasn't a definitive kill like I remembered it.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

In theory, unless it's a new Anguirus in DAM, that's evidence he survived.

But yeah... actually, I kinda remembered the same thing.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

BigGrayGecko
Yojimbo

Post by BigGrayGecko »

I recall watching a quite strange Godzilla movie. I have been probably 2 or 3, maybe 4 years old at that time. I saw only a glimpse of it. It was a typical Godzilla vs military scene, yet I, strangely enough, remember soldiers to be portrayed by stop-motion puppets. The battle took place in a deserted valley and Godzilla looked quite malevolent. He attacked them with his heat ray, melting tanks and burning soldiers. I don`t know what was the film I watched on that day, however similar scene was in Mohra vs Godzilla, especially considering location. However, I don`t think it has ever been aired on TV in my country (due to the terrible dubbing). What`s even stranger: probably a year ago I had a dream about a set of figures based on this movie. So, yeah, some massive Mandela Hedorah has happened. As well as this, remembered a scene from Gamera 2, where Gamera fell upon a skyscraper and lied there unconscius. After recent re-watching, I found out it was actually a spore of the Legion plant. Child`s perception of events can be really messy.
Last edited by BigGrayGecko on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

The Gamera movie you’re talking about is from Gamera The Brave, there’s no Godzilla movie like the one you described though.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking