What ruined your day?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by BlankAccount »

I've said it before but we have become a spoiler culture. It used to be that if someone made a video containing a spoiler about a movie you'd have to watch it. Now they literally put the spoiler in the thumbnails and title of the video so even if you don't watch it you get spoiled.

I wasn't even watching Godzilla videos and a video showed up in my recommendation about King of the Monsters that has a possible spoiler in the title of the video. The movies a year away, are you fucking kidding me? It used to be that the 3 or 4 weeks leading up to a movie you knew it was time to stay off the net till you saw it, but almost a whole year? Are you fucking kidding me?

People can make videos talking about spoilers but putting it in the title or thumbnail or worse, both is such an asshole thing. It;s one thing when someone clicks on a video and complains, they're an idiot, but when someone just glances at videos recommended on the side and see's a pic or title that spoils shit, that's the uploaders fault.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Living Corpse wrote:I've said it before but we have become a spoiler culture. It used to be that if someone made a video containing a spoiler about a movie you'd have to watch it. Now they literally put the spoiler in the thumbnails and title of the video so even if you don't watch it you get spoiled.

I wasn't even watching Godzilla videos and a video showed up in my recommendation about King of the Monsters that has a possible spoiler in the title of the video. The movies a year away, are you skreeonking kidding me? It used to be that the 3 or 4 weeks leading up to a movie you knew it was time to stay off the net till you saw it, but almost a whole year? Are you skreeonking kidding me?

People can make videos talking about spoilers but putting it in the title or thumbnail or worse, both is such an asshole thing. It;s one thing when someone clicks on a video and complains, they're an idiot, but when someone just glances at videos recommended on the side and see's a pic or title that spoils poop, that's the uploaders fault.
This, x1000. This drives me nuts, too.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Living Corpse wrote:I've said it before but we have become a spoiler culture. It used to be that if someone made a video containing a spoiler about a movie you'd have to watch it. Now they literally put the spoiler in the thumbnails and title of the video so even if you don't watch it you get spoiled.

I wasn't even watching Godzilla videos and a video showed up in my recommendation about King of the Monsters that has a possible spoiler in the title of the video. The movies a year away, are you skreeonking kidding me? It used to be that the 3 or 4 weeks leading up to a movie you knew it was time to stay off the net till you saw it, but almost a whole year? Are you skreeonking kidding me?

People can make videos talking about spoilers but putting it in the title or thumbnail or worse, both is such an asshole thing. It;s one thing when someone clicks on a video and complains, they're an idiot, but when someone just glances at videos recommended on the side and see's a pic or title that spoils poop, that's the uploaders fault.
Thats one of the reasons I quit watching DMan1954, him and others spoiled me on Shin.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Had to stop watching the TK Twitter after they started posting Shin spoiler scans before the movie hit theaters in the US :( I'm not without guilt, though; got a complaint once for sharing a picture of those tiny toy Muto figures before we knew much about them. Sorry you had to run into the YouTube thumbnail thing. Be careful when you Google info, too, Google likes to show similar thumbnails and headlines alongside the results (was spoiled this way before a Smash Bros. direct talking about datamining right in the damn thumbnail).
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: DMan1954
Found your problem. He's friends with with troll asshole channels. The one's trying to emulate a "leafy"...whatever the fuck that is.

Also, yes this guy's thumbnail spoiled Shin's tail laser power for me.

GigaBowserG wrote:
Had to stop watching the TK Twitter after they started posting Shin spoiler scans before the movie hit theaters in the US :( I'm not without guilt, though; got a complaint once for sharing a picture of those tiny toy Muto figures before we knew much about them. Sorry you had to run into the YouTube thumbnail thing. Be careful when you Google info, too, Google likes to show similar thumbnails and headlines alongside the results (was spoiled this way before a Smash Bros. direct talking about datamining right in the damn thumbnail).
Oh, yeah more than person spoiled Shin for me, but out of the 4 who did it, only one was being an ass on purpose. the Rest I've forgiven, shit happens.

Hell I fucked up and spoiled one of Nemesis powers for someone from the Nemesis series of books.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GigaBowserG wrote: Had to stop watching the TK Twitter after they started posting Shin spoiler scans before the movie hit theaters in the US :(
You mean it wasn't the extremely immature captions and pointlessly tagging every person associated with Legendary and Warner that did it?

In regards to Corpse's complaint, I wholeheartedly agree. Thankfully, there's measures you can take to try and protect yourself as best as you can, such as browser extensions and filters on sites like Reddit.

Since you use YouTube a lot, I highly recommend Video Blocker:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... gfhk?hl=en
(Also available on FireFox, but idk what browser you use)

Not only can you filter specific channels, you can also filter specific keywords. I use this and have had some good success with it in regards to avoiding God of War spoilers, so I hope it can be of some use to you.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

In my experience, before the world wide web nobody worried about spoilers, and everybody was giving everything away all the time in conversations. The idea that anyone worries about spoilers is way more of a shift to my perception.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

eabaker wrote:In my experience, before the world wide web nobody worried about spoilers, and everybody was giving everything away all the time in conversations. The idea that anyone worries about spoilers is way more of a shift to my perception.
It's not a net thing.

Before the internet everyone I knew (including myself) still hated being spoiled for a movie we wanted to see. You just notice it more now because some douches think it's funny to ruin other people's movie going experience.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
eabaker wrote:In my experience, before the world wide web nobody worried about spoilers, and everybody was giving everything away all the time in conversations. The idea that anyone worries about spoilers is way more of a shift to my perception.
It's not a net thing.

Before the internet everyone I knew (including myself) still hated being spoiled for a movie we wanted to see. You just notice it more now because some douches think it's funny to ruin other people's movie going experience.
But there's a difference between a personal preference (even a common one) and a cultural dictate.

But, I'll clarify my original intent here, and say that I think the world wide web radically increased mainstream consciousness of the question of spoilers, an issue which - with regards to movies - had been a matter of some discussion specifically among cinephiles since at least Psycho.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Living Corpse wrote:
It's not a net thing.

https://youtu.be/MwZRFA0cLaM
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
It's not a net thing.

Yes, as I literally just said, people already had a problem with having movies spoiled for them, but it was not an issue that was treated as a codified cultural norm.

More importantly, "I Married Marge" is a pretty great episode.

Anyway, we're pretty far off topic, so I'm going to refrain from commenting further on the spoiler issue.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
It's not a net thing.

Yeah intresting story, a guy said I was acting like a child for having Shin spoiled for me because, and I quote, "I had Destroy All Monsters spoiled for me."

Destroy All Monsters had been out for decades. Shin hadn't even been brought to the U.S. theaters yet.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I get the issue with spoilers, but I personally have found greater happiness in accepting spoilers and actually seeking them out. I've found it doesn't actually ruin the viewing experience for me at all, because the story telling should be able to stand on it's own without relying on any sort of surprise aspect.

So, I spoil myself, absorbing as much information about a film or show as early as I possibly can with only one exception and that's Game of Thrones, and I do that just as a treat because I get way too into that show. Having said that, I know other's don't share this belief so I don't go around spewing them.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:I get the issue with spoilers, but I personally have found greater happiness in accepting spoilers and actually seeking them out. I've found it doesn't actually ruin the viewing experience for me at all, because the story telling should be able to stand on it's own without relying on any sort of surprise aspect.

So, I spoil myself, absorbing as much information about a film or show as early as I possibly can with only one exception and that's Game of Thrones, and I do that just as a treat because I get way too into that show. Having said that, I know other's don't share this belief so I don't go around spewing them.
There have actually been one or two studies done (with, it should be noted, very small sample sizes, and very specific terms) that suggested that having a work "spoiled" allows the audience to enjoy it more.

But, obviously, all the studies in the world won't negate people's individual, lived experiences.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote: Had to stop watching the TK Twitter after they started posting Shin spoiler scans before the movie hit theaters in the US :(
You mean it wasn't the extremely immature captions and pointlessly tagging every person associated with Legendary and Warner that did it?
Eh, people like em so that's why they exist. They get the most traffic over articles/videos with facts-although those get posted a lot too. In the end, you can't please everyone.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

For my part, I think I started caring about spoilers after being disappointed by the Clone Wars movie. It needs to be said, of course, that nothing would've exactly saved that movie. But I watched the opening sequence of the Battle of Christophsis and the initial assault on the Teth monastery, which were easily the high points of the movie, so then there was nothing else really worth watching. I don't want to repeat that disappointment, so I try to make sure I'm not going to see/learn about the coolest or most important parts of a movie or show before I see it.

On-topic, I spent much of the day broke and out of food, which was double-plus un-fun. But I just got paid and got McDonalds, so crisis resolved.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Had my third appointment with my cardiologist this week. Fortunately, he doesn't need to see me again until... Sunday. Great, two whold days without going to the doctor!

On Monday, he told me he wanted me to switch to a plant-based diet. By Tuesday, he was like, "So, have you completely changed your diet yet?" Today, when I told him the changes I'd made so far, it was, "Well, this has to be an all-or-nothing thing." Like, dude, we have meat in our refrigerator that has to get eaten. By the end of the weekend, I can be totally plant-based.

Not that I want to be, at all.

I'm gonna miss meat.

And caffein.

And smoking weed.

Basically, I can't do anything anymore.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

eabaker wrote:Had my third appointment with my cardiologist this week. Fortunately, he doesn't need to see me again until... Sunday. Great, two whold days without going to the doctor!

On Monday, he told me he wanted me to switch to a plant-based diet. By Tuesday, he was like, "So, have you completely changed your diet yet?" Today, when I told him the changes I'd made so far, it was, "Well, this has to be an all-or-nothing thing." Like, dude, we have meat in our refrigerator that has to get eaten. By the end of the weekend, I can be totally plant-based.

I'm gonna miss meat.

And caffein.

And smoking weed.

That ain't a live worth living mah dude :lol:
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:Had my third appointment with my cardiologist this week. Fortunately, he doesn't need to see me again until... Sunday. Great, two whold days without going to the doctor!

I'm gonna miss meat.

And caffein.

And smoking weed.

You're going vegetarian? Man...I mean, I think I should too. But I know I wouldn't have the willpower. I wish you all the best.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ManuJM1997 wrote:

I'm gonna miss meat.

And caffein.

And smoking weed.

That ain't a live worth living mah dude :lol:
Eh. I've still got filmmaking and sex.

Added in 1 minute 13 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:You're going vegetarian? Man...I mean, I think I should too. But I know I wouldn't have the willpower. I wish you all the best.
Yeah, it's something Jenn and I had been veeeery slowly working towards, but my new doctor is, like, "Now! Now! Now! Now! Now!"