King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by eabaker »

I found Jackson's movie painfully overwrought. It was like seven or eight hours of somebody yelling, "Isn't King Kong awesome?! And, by the way, HE'S ACTUALLY SYMPATHETIC!!!"
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:I found Jackson's movie painfully overwrought. It was like seven or eight hours of somebody yelling, "Isn't King Kong awesome?! And, by the way, HE'S ACTUALLY SYMPATHETIC!!!"
That is the PERFECT description of this movie. And exactly why it lost me; it was trying so hard to beat me over the head with a feeling, it alienated me with the obviousness of its attempt to sell me a viewpoint.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Oh yeah another thing. Making Kong too sympathetic. I was like "Ok I get it" with the whole he was just lonely and wanted companionship but Jackson basically kept trying to shove it in our face. It was very forced. I honestly think the 76 movie held the spirit of Kong more then 2005 film did.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I honestly think the 76 movie held the spirit of Kong more then 2005 film did.
Heavily disagree. Jackson's Kong might have been way too in-your-face with both action and emotional moments, but it at least had some iota of respect for the original film. I can't say that at all for the 76 film. The only highlights of that pile I can think of are the Rick Baker suit and Jeff Bridges' performance.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

UltramanGoji wrote:Heavily disagree. Jackson's Kong might have been way too in-your-face with both action and emotional moments, but it at least had some iota of respect for the original film. I can't say that at all for the 76 film. The only highlights of that pile I can think of are the Rick Baker suit and Jeff Bridges' performance.
And that's fine. I respect your opinion on that. To each their own.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

To me, it seems like Jackson's love for the original interfered with his storytelling sensibility. By being less slavish in its devotion to the original, the '76 flick gave itself more freedom to have its own voice. The Jackson movie doesn't really have much new to offer.

In some ways, I feel like the cynicism of the '76 version is more true to the original than is the self-conscious earnestness of the Jackson version.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The 1933 Kong couldn’t make up its mind as to whether or not Kong was supposed to be sympathetic or not.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

LegendZilla wrote:The 1933 Kong couldn’t make up its mind as to whether or not Kong was supposed to be sympathetic or not.
The 1933 Kong knew exactly what it was doing in casting Kong as a complex character who was equal parts ferocious and sympathetic. It was the one and only version of the character to do this perfectly.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So was there any reason why the 76 film had no dinos on the island or any other life for that matter? All we see is that giant snake, the island feels so empty

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

LegendZilla wrote:The 1933 Kong couldn’t make up its mind as to whether or not Kong was supposed to be sympathetic or not.
That's something I honestly liked in the original film. It portrayed Kong as an intelligent animal but still an animal never the less.
Godzillian wrote:So was there any reason why the 76 film had no dinos on the island or any other life for that matter? All we see is that giant snake, the island feels so empty
I recall it had to do with budget issues. I do agree though that was one of the few things I didn't like about that film otherwise I feel it and its sequel are underrated.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzillian wrote:So was there any reason why the 76 film had no dinos on the island or any other life for that matter? All we see is that giant snake, the island feels so empty
They used all the money to build a giant gorilla robot that's only onscreen two seconds.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ivo-goji wrote:
They used all the money to build a giant gorilla robot that's only onscreen two seconds.
And had one of the most hilarious live breakdowns in history. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Say what you will about Robo-Kong it was a great publicity tool to promote the film.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'd prefer that the film actually had a dinosaur somewhere, rather than being the nadir of cynical moneymaking schemes.
Resized Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I find the 76 film abhorrent and Lives is so bizarre it defies description.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

tbeasley wrote: Lives is so bizarre it defies description.
Its the only movie (that I know of) where Kong gets hit in the head with a golf-ball.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Anyone else hear about the show based off Kong of Skull Island? Its coming out in 2019 from a Syfy film company and CBS and is written by the couple who wrote the Bye Bye Man.
The first image has been revealed from the Twitter.
:lol: oh, this is gonna be a mess and I love it.

RIP Evan.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I think that's the one based on Joe Devitos series that he did with the Cooper Estate.
Last edited by The Octopus on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:I think that's the one based on Joe Devitos series that he did with the Cooper Estate.
It is. It actually sounds really interesting from the stuff they've revealed. I'm just not confident considering it's written by the people who thought the Bye Bye Man was a good idea and it is being produced by a Lifetime orginal movie company.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Anyone else hear about the show based off Kong of Skull Island? Its coming out in 2019 from a Syfy film company and CBS and is written by the couple who wrote the Bye Bye Man.
The first image has been revealed from the Twitter.
snip
:lol: oh, this is gonna be a mess and I love it.
Oh my god...It looks like something straight out a fanmade project. The words alone shows it. :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.