Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Nerd1978
Samurai

Re: Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by Nerd1978 »

The main theme was better for the scenes of destruction, etc. It's a downer, scary and imposing. The March is the one that works, in my opinion, better for this incarnation of Godzilla. When he's fighting, for instance. It worked well in ready player one, even though it was mechagodzilla... It's what I want to hear as Godzilla tears gidorah apart.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

The March is definitely more of a triumphant entrance piece of music. I would die in my seat if it plays when Godzilla arrives on the scene for the final showdown in Act III!
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Sir-Mechagodzilla
Ronin

Post by Sir-Mechagodzilla »

I did not know him until he was announced as the composer. I do not know a lot from him, only the Cloverfield Lane and The Forest Soundtracks, but I couldn't remember them all too well. Listened to them again and they are good.

I think he will do fine.

I would really like if some classic tracks appear. One I always liked is Fury of Godzilla for example.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I'm familiar with Bear's work. And it's really good stuff. But what I like most about him composing for this movie is that it's such an unexpected choice. I'm a musician, so I really like when someone throws a curve ball. Gets me pretty excited.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Sir-Mechagodzilla wrote: I would really like if some classic tracks appear
You'll be pleased to know that Ifukube tracks are confirmed to appear in the movie, then. :)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why do you think they didn’t bother to use Ifukube’s themes the first time around? Could they not afford it and/or get permission from Toho?

Nerd1978
Samurai

Post by Nerd1978 »

It wouldn't be considered an original soundtrack if they used the original music, correct? I would think a composer would be sorta falling on the sword by doing this - I think it would rule out any possibility of them getting awards, no?

That said - it's basically a given we will be getting the Godzilla March while he's doing his thing. The only thing else I want is his roar. Even Devlin and emmerich got that right!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Nerd1978 wrote:It wouldn't be considered an original soundtrack if they used the original music, correct? I would think a composer would be sorta falling on the sword by doing this - I think it would rule out any possibility of them getting awards, no?

That said - it's basically a given we will be getting the Godzilla March while he's doing his thing. The only thing else I want is his roar. Even Devlin and emmerich got that right!
As long as the older pieces are credited and the majority of the score remains his own composition, it would still be considered an original soundtrack.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

LegendZilla wrote:Why do you think they didn’t bother to use Ifukube’s themes the first time around? Could they not afford it and/or get permission from Toho?
They probably just wanted a clean slate. I mean the Ifukube music isn't even in Toho's own anime series. I really liked Desplat's score, but I wish they'd used a classic song or two in the credits music at least.
Last edited by Relair on Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I thought Desplat's score was great. Its one of my more favorite "Non-Ifukube" scores.

There were a few points in the film though where I couldn't help but think "An Ifukube track would have been great here".

I typically don't like to be pandered too and I appreciate the first film wanting to stand on its own without relying entirely on nostalgia. But it is kind of like having a James Bond movie without the classic theme. It really is a tradition to have the old Ifukube themes.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

New article up with Bear via BleedingCool. Love his enthusiasm & I can't wait to hear his score for the film

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/06 ... -monsters/

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Nice to see that he plans to go all out.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I'd love to see one of Ifukube's much more somber themes used again, like this one for example.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

LegendZilla wrote:Why do you think they didn’t bother to use Ifukube’s themes the first time around? Could they not afford it and/or get permission from Toho?
I don't think it would have been hard at all for Legendary to have gotten the licenses for Ifukube's music in Gareth's film. After all, Legendary was already working with Toho and had licensed the Godzilla character. And while it would have cost additional money to get the rights to the music, it would not have been expensive.

I think Godzilla '14 didn't use Ifukube's music because the filmmaker's sought to do something very original.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Short list of Ifukube theme's I'd like to hear:

Would LOVE to have:
- The Godzilla Rampage theme = Would be great the first time he appears, comes out of the water, or however he enters the movie.
- The Godzilla March = Definitely works as his "entrance theme" as he heads towards the "ring" for the final showdown with Ghidorah
- Sacred Springs instrumental = To use this as kind of a motif to punctuate Mothra would be cool, especially when she comes out of the cocoon and spreads her wings the first time.
- The Classic Ghidorah theme = An updated version of this would be pretty dope, no?

Also would be nice if they've got time...:
- The Monster Zero March = I mean, that's like the definitive military theme of this series, right? I'd be nice to hear it.
- The Monster Attack Theme = Was part of the main titles for Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, and used extensively in Destroy All Monsters, but is typically known as "Rodan's theme" since it always seems to be used when he's flying. Again...would be nice.

I don't want the whole movie to be littered with Ifukube tracks as I like each entry to have its own "voice" from a musical standpoint. I thought Shin Godzilla did this well by using the classic tracks effectively, worked in some Evangelion, but also using the original music for the film to great success as well (Persecution of the Masses and Who Will Know are fantastic).
Last edited by GojiDog on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GojiDog wrote:Short list of Ifukube theme's I'd like to hear:

Would LOVE to have:
- The Godzilla Rampage theme = Would be great the first time he appears, comes out of the water, or however he enters the movie.
- The Godzilla March = Definitely works as his "entrance theme" as he heads towards the "ring" for the final showdown with Ghidorah
- Sacred Springs instrumental = To use this as kind of a motif to punctuate Mothra would be cool, especially when she comes out of the cocoon and spreads her wings the first time.
- The Classic Ghidorah theme = An updated version of this would be pretty dope, no?

Also would be nice if they've got time...:
- The Monster Zero March = I mean, that's like the definitive military theme of this series, right? I'd be nice to hear it.
- The Monster Attack Theme = Was part of the main titles for Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, and used extensively in Destroy All Monsters, but is typically known as "Rodan's theme" since it always seems to be used when he's flying. Again...would be nice.

I don't want the whole movie to be littered with Ifukube tracks as I like each entry to have its own "voice" from a musical standpoint. I thought Shin Godzilla did this well by using the classic tracks effectively, worked in some Evangelion, but also using the original music for the film to great success as well (Persecution of the Masses and Who Will Know are fantastic).
I know it’s great that we’re getting classic Ifukube themes, but IMHO, I think we are bound to only get the two main themes. To expect anything more is a pipe dream
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

This is going to be wonderful! Part of me wishes we could've heard Desplat's take on the classic themes, but McCreary is an amazing composer nonetheless and i'm sure he won't disappoint.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Don't wanna keep going back through the Speculation thread to find the theme from the Tokyo comic-con panel, so I'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/neixs101/status/1068715797365719041

https://twitter.com/Ohuchi_RYDEEN/statu ... 3714080769

https://twitter.com/abokadohimself/stat ... 0375898112

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The IGN Japan upload of the panel has the highest quality I've heard so far, but it's only about 10-15 seconds at the beginning and a small portion when Michael Dougherty comes out on stage (still watching the video so there might be more instances):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqelMnk ... e=youtu.be

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I'm loving the new takes on ifukube's music. Sounds grand as it should, and it's such an iconic aspect of the character and I'm glad it's finally being utilized in an American production.

I've heard some talk of Mothra music as well. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: Just found the interview where Dougherty confirms it.
Last edited by GalacticPetey on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.