Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Malchik
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by Malchik »

I was wrong about Toho not having a reliable master of KK vs. Godzilla but, yeah, it's a film that is owned by both Toho and Universal. Some publisher will have to license Toho for their cut of the film and license Universal for distribution right.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Universal needs to get their heads out of their rear-ends and give us the 4K scan of the Japanese version of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA. I'm sick of waiting. And maybe a new dub for the Japanese cut.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I hope they release an English Godzilla Raids Again BluRay!
Also, are the Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla Tokyo SOS/Final Wars Blue Rays of good quality?
Last edited by Anguirus on Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Anguirus wrote: Also, are the Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla Tokyo SOS/Final Wars Blue Rays of good quality?
You get both the Japanese and American cuts of G2K, so that alone is worth the purchase. Picture quality is better on the Sony cut, but both versions have never looked better. Final Wars probably looks the worst where it should have been the best because it was the first Godzilla movie filmed with digital cameras. However, the picture quality is noisy and soft. I honestly think this is because they digitally added noise and grain to the image so it looked more "film-like" back in 2004 and the processing just hasn't aged well.

Regardless, these discs are well worth buying especially at their price point. Don't hesitate to get them.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Thanks for the info! I’ll probably get them via PlayStation Network! I hope Criterion releases more unreleased here Blu Rays for films like Godzilla Raids Again next year for the next movie!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Fantastic news: Sony is releasing Battle in Outer Space to Blu-Ray via their Movie On Demand service, i.e. BD-R release. No info on what version is included, although it does seem to feature the audio commentary from the DVD release. Mothra surely can't be far behind.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Fantastic news: Sony is releasing Battle in Outer Space to Blu-Ray via their Movie On Demand service, i.e. BD-R release. No info on what version is included, although it does seem to feature the audio commentary from the DVD release. Mothra surely can't be far behind.

Yesss!! This is fantastic. Where can we find the MOD service?

Been dying to see their 4K Mothra restoration, I've never had a chance to catch it theatrically.
Last edited by goji1986 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

goji1986 wrote: Been dying to see their 4K Mothra restoration, I've never had a chance to catch it theatrically.
I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, as that would more than likely just be 1080p transfers of the 2009 restoration(s).

I have a feeling they will probably be saving Mothra for next Spring, but I hope a The H-Man Blu is in the cards as well.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Is there an article about Battle in Outer Space?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I do not have the money for Mothra on blu-ray... but I cannot resist Mothra on blu-ray. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Goji wrote: I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, as that would more than likely just be 1080p transfers of the 2009 restoration(s).

I have a feeling they will probably be saving Mothra for next Spring, but I hope a The H-Man Blu is in the cards as well.
I could easily see them doing a wider BD release of Mothra to cash in on KOTM hype. And if they do, it would be silly for them not to use the 4K master.

Regardless, the 2009 restorations are solid so getting them in what was probably their native resolution is still worth the upgrade for me!
Mr. Yellow wrote:Is there an article about Battle in Outer Space?
None that I've been able to find, but a quick search on Amazon pulled up this:
https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Outer-Spa ... uter+space

September 25th!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Is there an article about Battle in Outer Space?
If by "article" you mean some kind of press release or indication of what will actually be on the disc, then no, not yet.
goji1986 wrote: I could easily see them doing a wider BD release of Mothra to cash in on KOTM hype. And if they do, it would be silly for them not to use the 4K master.

Me too, and it definitely would be silly for them not to.. but this is small genre title from Sony we're talking about. If this was coming from one of the many collector labels out there, I wouldn't even bat an eye at the notion, as it would be a given they would ask to utilize the highest quality source that they have on hand.

I can't recall the details, but did Sony create DCPs for both versions of Mothra, or just the U.S. version (post-Icons restoration for DVD, of course)?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Wow....Mothra on Blu Ray is something I never would have expected in a million years. Here's hoping it happens.

Also, Criterion's December release slate was announced, with nothing Godzilla related of course.

That means that IF they are indeed conjuring up a Godzilla Box Set of any kind.....that it will certainly not be coming this year, and has as good of a chance as any to come out in 2019.....for the 65 year anniversary and to come out in a year that will have plenty of Godzilla hype between the release of King of the Monsters and the early marketing for Godzilla vs Kong.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

Sort of a weird question to post, but if I was buying the old Toho Master Collection releases (with the soft digipaks), how much would that run me?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ōei wrote:Sort of a weird question to post, but if I was buying the old Toho Master Collection releases (with the soft digipaks), how much would that run me?
Shouldn't be more than $10 per DVD.

Added in 2 minutes 10 seconds:
EDIT: Wow, actually nevermind. Looking on eBay, the offerings are insane. Some are like $15-20, others are pushing $40-50.

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Ōei wrote:Sort of a weird question to post, but if I was buying the old Toho Master Collection releases (with the soft digipaks), how much would that run me?
Shouldn't be more than $10 per DVD.

Added in 2 minutes 10 seconds:
EDIT: Wow, actually nevermind. Looking on eBay, the offerings are insane. Some are like $15-20, others are pushing $40-50.
Yeah! I saw that. I guess they're out of print.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, they were supplanted by the regular black DVD case versions, but I had no idea that the originals were so sought after.

Depending on the content, I might sell mine when the Criterion releases come out.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Any chance of a blu ray release of Prophecies of Nostradamus 1974?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

No way.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

So I ordered the Godzilla 2000 Blu-ray that includes both the American and original Japanese ver. Anyone know how to access the Japanese ver. because it only came with one disc so I'm assuming it's in there somewhere.