Who is a god and who is just worshiped as one?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Who is a god and who is just worshiped as one?

Post by BlankAccount »

Thought it be cool to see everyone's different interpretations on this.

Obviously you have monsters like King Kong who is worshiped as a god because he is stupid big, Gojira named after a god from Odo Island's myths cause his first confirmed appearance was on their shores, but then you have monsters like Mothra and Battra who in most incarnations are a nature spirit if not literal gods.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Who is a god and who is just worshiped as one?

Post by Spuro »

The only thing that separates a god from any other entity, no matter how powerful, is whether or not they're worshiped as one.

Mothra, Kong, the original Godzilla, Varan, and Manda are therefore all considered gods by those who worship them. Stronger monsters like Hedorah or King Ghidorah (excluding Monster Planet) aren't, simply because no one believes that they are gods.

Godhood is a title given to someone or something by their followers, not a title someone can give to themselves, otherwise there would be nothing that separates a supposed god from a similarly powerful monster with similar abilities. Gigan and Megalon are both science fiction influenced creatures with metallic anatomy, whether it be artificial (Gigan) or natural (Megalon). Megalon is only a god because, unlike Gigan, he has worshipers that have given him that title. The same can be said for Showa Mothra and King Caeser; they are similarly powerful, but only one is explicitly worshiped as a god. The other is merely considered a guardian.

Therefore, our gods are:
- Original Godzilla
- Varan
- Showa Mothra
- King Kong
- Manda
- Gezora
- Megalon
- Possibly Heisei Mothra, Battra, and Millennium Mothra – It's been a while, but I don't remember if they were explicitly worshiped as gods (two individuals aren't much of a following anyway) or considered nature guardians.
- Kind of the Guardian Monsters from GMK – They were once considered gods, but that civilization has long passed. In the modern era they're considered guardians, like King Caeser.
- Legendary King Kong
- Kind of Legendary Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and possibly Ghidorah – for the same reasons as GMK.
– Monster Planet Godzilla, Mothra, and Ghidorah
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Yep, gods only are gods when they are worshipped

An 11th dimensional being with the ability to manipulate reality, quantum mechanics and the four fundamental forces of the Universe is basically omnipotent.
But if it isn't worshipped, it's a cosmic entity, not a god.
Last edited by Manuelito Canelito on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Therefore, our gods are:
- Original Godzilla
- Varan
- Showa Mothra
- King Kong
- Manda
- Gezora
- Megalon
- Possibly Heisei Mothra, Battra, and Millennium Mothra – It's been a while, but I don't remember if they were explicitly worshiped as gods (two individuals aren't much of a following anyway) or considered nature guardians.
- Kind of the Guardian Monsters from GMK – They were once considered gods, but that civilization has long passed. In the modern era they're considered guardians, like King Caeser.
- Legendary King Kong
- Kind of Legendary Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and possibly Ghidorah – for the same reasons as GMK.
– Monster Planet Godzilla, Mothra, and Ghidorah
-Original Godzilla isn't worshipped, though. He's part of a "legend". it's not really the same thing.
-Nothing Heisei was really worshipped, same with Millennium Mothra. Granted, there are cave paintings and the Shobijin, but that's not the same.
-I don't remember the Guardian Monsters ever being called Gods. Been a while, though. I thought they were always just considered ancient guardians.
-How are Legendary Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah worshipped in any way shape or form?
-Same goes for Planet Godzilla? There is never any sort of worship or idolization towards him.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

In Monster Apocalypse it's mentioned that there really people who worship kaiju, specially Godzilla.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

ManuJM1997 wrote:In Monster Apocalypse it's mentioned that there really people who worship kaiju, specially Godzilla.
:roll: Doesn't this come back to the ol' saying if it's not on screen it doesn't exist?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'd flip this around and I suggest many of the kaiju we think of as being accidents of nature are actually supernatural beings. Godzilla himself especially.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Maritonic wrote:
-How are Legendary Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah worshipped in any way shape or form?
In the past they certainly were. At least the first 3. We even see paintings in the underwater scene of people worshiping Godzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

We do...?

I dunno, man. Far as I'm concerned no kaiju post-Showa are really "Gods" to me. I guess anime-Ghidorah, but when he ends up being a space thunder storm I won't think that anymore. For me, personally, the worshiping and God stuff stopped in the Showa era.
Last edited by Maritonic on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
In the past they certainly were. At least the first 3. We even see paintings in the underwater scene of people worshiping Godzilla.
Maritonic wrote:We do...?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I dunno, man. Far as I'm concerned no kaiju post-Showa are really "Gods" to me. I guess anime-Ghidorah, but when he ends up being a space thunder storm I won't think that anymore. For me, personally, the worshiping and God stuff stopped in the Showa era.
So Heisei Mothra and Kiryu Mothra weren't gods? Even though the latter is literally the same Mothra from the original film?

For that matter, anime Mothra, more obviously so than Ghidorah one would think.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Ivo-goji wrote:

So Heisei Mothra and Kiryu Mothra weren't gods? Even though the latter is literally the same Mothra from the original film?

For that matter, anime Mothra, more obviously so than Ghidorah one would think.
I neglected to mention Anime Mothra because we haven't seen anime Mothra, but yes I'd consider her one, in theory.

I don't, personally( really really can't emphasize more: PERSONALLY) see these monsters are "Gods". When you compare how Showa Mothra is thematically treated and how Heisei Mothra is thematically treated, it's entirely different. So. Showa we see tribes of people bowing, praying, worshiping. Heisei we see the Shobijin for a hot second.
Last edited by Maritonic on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Pretty sure Mike Dougherty has stated that one of the major themes of KotM will be about the monsters as mythical beings and/or gods. I'll provide the source if I manage to find it again.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'm surprised people are dismissing Mothra as only a god because she is worshiped as one.

Are we forgetting this is the same monster who can be summoned with her symbol? Or sealed Godzilla and Battra's corpse away for a year in the sea with that same symbol made of glowing holy light? :eh:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Living Corpse wrote:Or sealed Godzilla and Battra's corpse away for a year in the sea with that same symbol made of glowing holy light? :eh:
Meh? There's nothing to support this, aside from a pretty visual. I always took it as Mothra paying tribute to Battra, never her "sealing Godzilla and Battra's corpse away for a year".

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Maritonic wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Or sealed Godzilla and Battra's corpse away for a year in the sea with that same symbol made of glowing holy light? :eh:
Meh? There's nothing to support this, aside from a pretty visual. I always took it as Mothra paying tribute to Battra, never her "sealing Godzilla and Battra's corpse away for a year".
They wouldn't put it in there for nothing.

I just don't get some of you fans, they are so against anything unreal in a series about Giant Monsters.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Living Corpse wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
They wouldn't put it in there for nothing.

I just don't get some of you fans, they are so against anything unreal in a series about Giant Monsters.
Well that was uncalled for. Excuse me for having an opinion other than yours?

Not to mention I never said anything about "unreal" so I have no clue where that even came from.

"Thought it'd be cool to everyone's different interpretation on this." Doesn't that mean hearing opposing opinions?
Added in 16 minutes :
Literally all I said was that, aside from the anime stuff, I personally don't see the god stuff in the films post-Showa. I don't know why that's an offensive opinion.
Last edited by Maritonic on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Living Corpse wrote:I'm surprised people are dismissing Mothra as only a god because she is worshiped as one.

Are we forgetting this is the same monster who can be summoned with her symbol? Or sealed Godzilla and Battra's corpse away for a year in the sea with that same symbol made of glowing holy light? :eh:
Well, yeah. That's what defines a god.

Without worshipers she's just a supernatural guardian creature with magical abilities.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

This got me to thinking that it's likely shortly after the events of Shin Godzilla (using this an example but would really work with any Godzilla or any kaiju for that matter...Shin did some pretty crazy skreonk and it's recent so using it here) you'd have cults started with people building shrines to him believing him to be a god, God himself or even Satan. Regardless of which, he'd have people making alters to him and probably even leaving offerenings at his frozen feet. Even Hedorah I think could have people who would worship him. After all that's where the term "cult following" was started. I'm sure if you went back far enough, most major religions started out with something we'd call a cult today ie: small group of believers but not necessarily radical beliefs. But back to subject, none of these started out as "gods" but then again, no "living" god could have started out that way so it's all how you precieve it and restrictions etc. you place on being a candidate.
Last edited by Kaeyas on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated To Darkness..

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Based on what we see in film, Mothra is clearly considered a god. The natives of Infant Island worship Mothra, performing dances, singing, and praying to the giant creature. Varan is also held up as a holy figure by the Obaki, but their relationship with Varan is one of fear. Kong is the middle ground here. The natives clearly fear Kong, but he also provides them with a level of protection.

I don't know if I'd call Megalon or Manda gods. They are revered by their cultures, but seem more like guardian figures than gods.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.