Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm glad Dougherty is going out of his way to pay tribute to the franchise's history. Hopefully it will actually feel like a Godzilla movie. G14 just didn't feel like a real Godzilla movie to me. It felt more like psuedo-Spielberg with Godzilla in it.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

The god of war score made me cry. No complaints here.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Given Dougherty's obvious love of the Showa Era, I think there is a high probability that at least one or two of the classic Ifukube tracks will be worked in.

I like McCreary's work, so hopefully he does a great job. I liked Desplat's score for 2014 though. One of the better "Non-Ifukube scores" in the franchise.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

IMO the most likely Ifukube tracks to be included are probably the Godzilla March, the Godzilla Theme, and the Mothra Theme. Less likely, though I think we'd all LOVE to see them, would be Rodan's Theme, Ghidorah's Theme, and the Monster Zero March. At minimum, I think the Godzilla and Mothra themes (an instrumental version for Mothra, I assume) are practically givens.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Oh man, if they did the Monster Zero March I’d probably explode in my seat...
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I'd love to at least hear the rampage music from 1954. I'd love to hear that playing as monsters destroy shit.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Pkmatrix wrote:IMO the most likely Ifukube tracks to be included are probably the Godzilla March, the Godzilla Theme, and the Mothra Theme. Less likely, though I think we'd all LOVE to see them, would be Rodan's Theme, Ghidorah's Theme, and the Monster Zero March. At minimum, I think the Godzilla and Mothra themes (an instrumental version for Mothra, I assume) are practically givens.
Wasn’t the Mothra theme by Yuji Koseki?
Last edited by GoWhaleTours on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
GO GO GOJI KUN

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Nothing against Fesplat, but none of his 2014work stuck with me. Actually the opening credits music worked,in the context of an intro but used later in ghe film...the score felt small.

It focuses on strings and short almost staccato noted which for a giant monster movie seemed odd.

Hopefully we can get something that has legs and is memorable this time.
Last edited by MrRockett on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Pkmatrix wrote: Godzilla March, the Godzilla Theme,
So I may have to turn in my fan card for this, but what's the difference? I use these terms interchangeably. In what I consider the "Godzilla theme" there are distinct parts to it, so I guess that's where the distinction is.

For example:

0:00 - 0:46 is what I usually consider "Part 1"

0:47 - 1:55 is "Part 2"

I'm aware this is my own weird designation and not the official terminology. I'm just curious as to what the actual difference between the march and theme is.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

GalacticPetey wrote:
So I may have to turn in my fan card for this, but what's the difference? I use these terms interchangeably. In what I consider the "Godzilla theme" there are distinct parts to it, so I guess that's where the distinction is.

For example:

0:00 - 0:46 is what I usually consider "Part 1"

0:47 - 1:55 is "Part 2"

I'm aware this is my own weird designation and not the official terminology. I'm just curious as to what the actual difference between the march and theme is.
https://youtu.be/OKoBw7ff5WE - the godzilla march
GO GO GOJI KUN

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

GalacticPetey wrote:
The Godzilla Theme is what you hear in the original Gojira. Also featured heavily in Terror of Mechagodzilla. The Theme is the one that is sampled in Ready Player One.

The Godzilla March is the piece you hear in most G films. If I was to spell it out, it goes DUUUUUUUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN lol

According to your designations, Part 1 is the March, Part 2 is the Theme. They were originally 2 separate pieces of music. I believe the video you linked is the new arrangements that were used for the Heisei era. It was then that both pieces were connected together in one long instrumental.
Last edited by AtomicMorningBreath on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:
The Godzilla Theme is what you hear in the original Gojira. Also featured heavily in Terror of Mechagodzilla. The Theme is the one that is sampled in Ready Player One.

The Godzilla March is the piece you hear in most G films. If I was to spell it out, it goes DUUUUUUUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN lol
This has always been the opposite for me.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dr. Professor wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote: So I may have to turn in my fan card for this, but what's the difference? I use these terms interchangeably. In what I consider the "Godzilla theme" there are distinct parts to it, so I guess that's where the distinction is.

Yeah I always felt the names were confusing because the Godzilla Theme sounds more ‘march’-like, but nonetheless I think AtomicMorningBreath is right. The March is the loud trumpety one, and the Theme is the melodic one that was originally in Gojira.

For clarity, take the music piece from Godzilla vs King Ghidorah in which they were combined. It opens with the March, then moves into the Theme.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:

Yeah I always felt the names were confusing because the Godzilla Theme sounds more ‘march’-like, but nonetheless I think AtomicMorningBreath is right. The March is the loud trumpety one, and the Theme is the melodic one that was originally in Gojira.

For clarity, take the music piece from Godzilla vs King Ghidorah in which they were combined. It opens with the March, then moves into the Theme.
It definitely is confusing considering the March is much more recognizable and more associated with the character. As a result, most people call The March the Godzilla theme by default.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I'm actually really happy with these choices! Although I do enjoy much of Desplat's work, including the G'14 soundtrack, I feel that McCreary's style would be a better fit for a Godzilla movie. Plus, I'm really glad that they're going to be using Ifukube's themes for the monsters again, even if we don't know how it will sound in the end. I mean, just because this Godzilla is made on the other side of the Pacific doesn't mean he shouldn't keep his theme music, right guys?
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Titanoterror98 wrote:I'm actually really happy with these choices! Although I do enjoy much of Desplat's work, including the G'14 soundtrack, I feel that McCreary's style would be a better fit for a Godzilla movie. Plus, I'm really glad that they're going to be using Ifukube's themes for the monsters again, even if we don't know how it will sound in the end. I mean, just because this Godzilla is made on the other side of the Pacific doesn't mean he shouldn't keep his theme music, right guys?
It's more the fact that they have to license the theme more than anything.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:I'm actually really happy with these choices! Although I do enjoy much of Desplat's work, including the G'14 soundtrack, I feel that McCreary's style would be a better fit for a Godzilla movie. Plus, I'm really glad that they're going to be using Ifukube's themes for the monsters again, even if we don't know how it will sound in the end. I mean, just because this Godzilla is made on the other side of the Pacific doesn't mean he shouldn't keep his theme music, right guys?
It's more the fact that they have to license the theme more than anything.
Oh, right. Forgot about that.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The Godzilla Theme seems more associated with the original film than the character specifically. The Godzilla March is what most people typically associate with Godzilla as a character, though in recent years they've kinda been melded together into a single track. That's a shame if you ask me as the more classic version of the march is more befitting of the character. Of course there's been numerous variations of the march over the course of the franchise.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The Godzilla Theme seems more associated with the original film than the character specifically. The Godzilla March is what most people typically associate with Godzilla as a character, though in recent years they've kinda been melded together into a single track. That's a shame if you ask me as the more classic version of the march is more befitting of the character. Of course there's been numerous variations of the march over the course of the franchise.
I think in the west the March is definitely more associated with the character, but when I was in Japan it seemed like the Theme was more associated. The hotel Gracery lights up and plays the Godzilla Theme a few times a day, for example. But idk. I actually kind of like them being associated with each other and being melded. My point is... wait, what’s my point? I don’t think I have a point, I’m just saying things. :D
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Haven't posted in a while, but I have always associated the godzilla theme with the character. Hearing it I just can imagine godzilla walking through any city destroying it and it is one of my favorite music pieces.I would be really hyped if we got to hear it in the new movie, tbh I was kinda let down it didn't appear in 2014
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster