Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations Discussion

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations Discussion

Post by Maritonic »

I'll always appreciate the availability of Bandai Creations, 100%. And I do miss them. If they came back tomorrow, I'd be out there buying them all in a heartbeat. While some of their figures were fantastic and awesome, some....not so much. Being gone doesn't put them on a pedestal and excuse them from realistic criticism.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I definitely don't think BC was anything amazing, but it made more than a few great contributions to the MMS style figure lineup. Destoroyah, G2K, Rainbow Mothra, G'14, King Ceasar - Even somewhat lesser figures like MG'74 or Gigan are pretty good looking representations of their source material. At worst, it made shoddy versions of preexisting MMS toys, when many would've preferred straight imports. At best, it knocked the sometimes very static Japanese alternatives out of the court.

bonziebonzie
Yojimbo

Post by bonziebonzie »

The Bandai Creation line was definitely a mixed bag. But I do appreciate it as those Godzilla figures were the ones I grew up with.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Maritonic wrote:I'll always appreciate the availability of Bandai Creations, 100%. And I do miss them. If they came back tomorrow, I'd be out there buying them all in a heartbeat. .
Had a meeting with them at SDCC. Everything was dormant for a while but it looks like things are moving again.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Chris55 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I'll always appreciate the availability of Bandai Creations, 100%. And I do miss them. If they came back tomorrow, I'd be out there buying them all in a heartbeat. .
Had a meeting with them at SDCC. Everything was dormant for a while but it looks like things are moving again.
For Godzilla KOTM or just the standard series in general?
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
For Godzilla KOTM or just the standard series in general?
I don't have the details yet since it was a shorter meeting but I'll know more when the time gets closer.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Chris55 wrote:
Didn’t they say the same thing about the time shin was coming out? And look where that got us. Honestly. With Neca getting more monster rights. I feel Bandai Creation is obsolete in the American market when there are gonna be more detailed highly articulated figures for similar prices. Also I bet we’re gonna get a ton of gimmick toys
Last edited by godzilla1541 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

godzilla1541 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
Didn’t they say the same thing about the time shin was coming out? And look where that got us. Honestly. With Neca getting more monster rights. I feel Bandai Creation is obsolete in the American market when there are gonna be more detailed highly articulated figures for similar prices. Also I bet we’re gonna get a ton of gimmick toys
Gimmick toys are bloody awesome, though, for what they are. I'm all for having Bandai Creation come back. Since when is more Godzilla figures a bad thing?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Chris55 wrote:

Chris...I love ya man (no homo)
Last edited by GodzillaFreak99 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Kids and casual collectors alike enjoy gimmick toys. Don't forget - Ghiddy, Rodan and Mothra may very well be made into gimmick toys, as well. To see those characters in such a common setting will be really cool.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I like variety of toy selection when it comes to big movies like these, I wanna see more than one option.

Also, Chris has said in the past, the gimmick toys from Godzilla 2014 were top sellers.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

godzilla1541 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:So is BC gonna be back for KOTM or are they done for good? tbh I'm fine with either scenario
With Neca picking up the license it’s safe to say they are dead
Hardly. NECA did gojis while Bandai America had their product on the shelves. Whatever license NECA has, it's not the 'master license'...

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I like variety of toy selection when it comes to big movies like these, I wanna see more than one option
Yup, pretty much this. As I said earlier; since when is too much Godzilla toys a bad thing? Especially if they're going to be on shelves in Target or Walmart or something and I don't have to shell out stupid money to ship them to my door?

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

godzilla1541 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
Didn’t they say the same thing about the time shin was coming out? And look where that got us.
Welcome to the wonderful world of licensing issues. Things change all the time. I think it was another version of what Randy was talking about in that NECA interview I posted last week.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I hope the sculpts for the KotM gimmicks are at least decent, like the recent Fallen Kingdom gimmick toys.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:Even in death, people exaggeratedly bash BC

Yeah, if nothing else, you'd think people would be a little more appreciative of the line considering that unlike it's Japanese counterpart, it was readily available.
To be fair, there are lots of kinds of junk out there in stores, readily available to customers; but ease of accessibility doesn't change the fact that it's junk.
...Not that Bandai Creations was totally junk, though - and yeah, there were times as a kid that seeing those toys on a shelf was really exciting. At the end of the day, however, a lot of BC's product just seems sub-par, and with the growing silence from the company in the last few years (besides that one big spike in 2014), it's easy to get frustrated or outright apathetic towards the company. If the line officially goes extinct, I can't say I'll miss it at this point.

Now, if for some odd reason BC struck a deal to start distributing the Japanese Bandai toys stateside...

bonziebonzie
Yojimbo

Post by bonziebonzie »

Rody wrote:
GodzillaFreak99 wrote:

Yeah, if nothing else, you'd think people would be a little more appreciative of the line considering that unlike it's Japanese counterpart, it was readily available.
To be fair, there are lots of kinds of junk out there in stores, readily available to customers; but ease of accessibility doesn't change the fact that it's junk.
...Not that Bandai Creations was totally junk, though - and yeah, there were times as a kid that seeing those toys on a shelf was really exciting. At the end of the day, however, a lot of BC's product just seems sub-par, and with the growing silence from the company in the last few years (besides that one big spike in 2014), it's easy to get frustrated or outright apathetic towards the company. If the line officially goes extinct, I can't say I'll miss it at this point.

Now, if for some odd reason BC struck a deal to start distributing the Japanese Bandai toys stateside...
That would be really great! Even then, it’s nice that there are toys for younger Godzilla fans. A kid’s not going to be able to get their parents to shill our for Japanese imports and Neca stuff will not be able to handle regular kid play.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Rody wrote:
GodzillaFreak99 wrote:

The whole BC line is aimed at the 4+ crowd so it's tough to be critical of them.

The silence from the company, from what I understand is that after late 2015, the line was just sitting there with no one in charge of it. At least there is now.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Chris55 wrote:
Great to hear! I'm not much of a collector these days, but I grew up with this line, man. I missed seeing it on the shelves. I'll definitely be picking a couple up when it comes back.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'm hard on BC because its just so disappointing and frustrating. They always say they are listening to fans and looking for new ideas yet nothing comes of it. We have seen amazing and unique scuplts by them like the Anguirus 55 and Little Godzilla vinyls and yet they are scrapped in favor of releasing Godzilla 2000 for the 4th time. Godzilla 2014 showed that they can do a lot of different things and I even bought some of their 2014 line and will happily buy stuff from them if they do a KOTM toyline.