"Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Got another absolutely terrible take making the rounds on kaiju Tumblr.

White people only watch and like Godzilla films because they give us the subconscious desire of killing Asian people and their countries like we did in Hiroshima and Vietnam.

I..don't have the words. I really don't.

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Got another absolutely terrible take making the rounds on kaiju Tumblr.

White people only watch and like Godzilla films because they give us the subconscious desire of killing Asian people and their countries like we did in Hiroshima and Vietnam.

What in the actual fuck. I request evidence, a link to said tumblr post, for this.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Try not to have a brain aneurysm while reading -
I think ALOT of White people like Godzilla/Kaiju movies because it gives them a sense of schadenfreude seeing Japan and other parts of Asia in a state of disaster.

They see themselves in either Godzilla or other monsters laying waste to that part of the world.

Through Godzilla and other Kaiju movies, they can relive Hiroshima, Nagasaki, the carpet bombing of Korea, the administration of agent orange in Vietnam, the suppression of Phillipine resistance….

The Japanese are processing collective trauma, their complicated relationship with nuclear power, ongoing United States military presence, tradition vs. “progress,” and other things through Kaiju movies…

White Americans aren’t here for that, though.

Basically we should be as suspicious of White Godzilla fans as we are of White Punisher fans.

-D

http://astoundingbeyondbelief.tumblr.co ... zilla-fans

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

W-wow....uh....y'all? THIS is why I fuckin' drink. I hope you're happy with yourselves.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, I saw that same thing posted on Instagram. I can't speak for all white, American Godzilla fans, obviously, but I can attest that my personal fondness for the genre - like my horror fandom - is more rooted in masochism than in sadism.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Love the jab about White Punisher fans, too. I'm double fucked.

SoggyNoodles2016

Maritonic wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Got another absolutely terrible take making the rounds on kaiju Tumblr.

What in the actual skreeonk. I request evidence, a link to said tumblr post, for this.
http://freemenofcolor.tumblr.com/post/176182931401

I'm sorry in advance.

Edit: OP took it down, so enjoy a copy with Matt Frank ripping their argument apart.
http://spankzilla85.tumblr.com/post/176 ... zilla-fans
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

This reminds me of a post once I saw that men only want to have sons so they can continue to teach and perpetuate sexist ideas and keep women oppressed. It made me really upset because I was already failing as a father! I wasn't aware of this whole agenda; I just wanted a son to hang and watch Godzilla and Star Wars with.

People gotta learn blanket statements aren't their friends lol. This shit gave me a headache.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Especially when people put motivations in other people's mouths; I've heard enough for a lifetime of what 'I' think and what 'my' motivations are, thanks to various demographics I'm in and social justice causes I champion and beliefs I hold, and it's always quite absurd. But usually, it seems to come from a disconnect on the part of the speaker- the inability to conceive that anyone can believe other than they do or act other than they do without malice or ill intent or a hidden agenda. (I say 'seems' lest I be guilty of the exact same thing; for all I know, such accusations could come from a different source).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SoggyNoodles2016

To throw in my 2 cents, I gotta paraphrase what other people have said on tumblt. This idea is so stupid. It might have merit if it was still 1957 and we just got out if WW2 but in 2018? Nah. The OP also hasn't seen any Godzilla fans because nobody acts this way. Fans respect and debate the themes and express their love of the cast and crew. To be honest, this is just something someone posted with enough evidence and argument that they could think they won to cash in on Godzilla trending due to the KOTM trailer.

Tl,dr: its wrong and we shouldn't let it bother us.

God I miss the days when people thinking Godzilla breathed fire was a big deal

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:To throw in my 2 cents, I gotta paraphrase what other people have said on tumblt. This idea is so stupid. It might have merit if it was still 1957 and we just got out if WW2 but in 2018? Nah. The OP also hasn't seen any Godzilla fans because nobody acts this way. Fans respect and debate the themes and express their love of the cast and crew. To be honest, this is just something someone posted with enough evidence and argument that they could think they won to cash in on Godzilla trending due to the KOTM trailer.

I mean...lol you posted it, we're all just reacting to the stupidity of it.

SoggyNoodles2016

Maritonic wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:To throw in my 2 cents, I gotta paraphrase what other people have said on tumblt. This idea is so stupid. It might have merit if it was still 1957 and we just got out if WW2 but in 2018? Nah. The OP also hasn't seen any Godzilla fans because nobody acts this way. Fans respect and debate the themes and express their love of the cast and crew. To be honest, this is just something someone posted with enough evidence and argument that they could think they won to cash in on Godzilla trending due to the KOTM trailer.

Yeah, sorry, I just got wanted to add my opinion and got irrationally worried about starting an argument.

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Yeah, sorry, I just got wanted to add my opinion and got irrationally worried about starting an argument.
Don't worry. I absolutely agree the guy clearly hasn't watch a Godzilla film, was trying to jump on the King of the Monsters hype train, and was trying to say something controversial and edgy. Just reacting to the ignorance expressed in his statements.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Things like this are why I wake up in the middle of the night screaming.....or was that a dream? Or maybe I'm dreaming about waking up from a dream :shock: :lol: But yeah, things like that just... just amaze me.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Your first misstep was taking Tumblr seriously

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

At my niece's birthday party a few years ago family friend, about late 40's to mid 50's said his favorite Godzilla monster was Gamera. I informed him they were different franchises by different companies and never crossed over. He could have sworn that Gamera was a Godzilla monster.

So yeah this along with Mothra being mistaken for Gamera in the reaction videos tells me that Gamera, while obscure, is more known than we thought. The real little known fact to the public is that they are separate franchises in much the same way Godzilla and King Kong are.

Also makes me recall the time I was loaning my DVDs of the Gamera trilogy to someone I knew at school when a third kid asked to see the DVDs, he looked at the back and said "this is the same thing as Godzilla". No clue if he meant the same genera or literally the same franchise or it was "ripping off" Godzilla or made by the same company.

Living Corpse wrote:TLDR: Man who saw Godzilla 2014 didn't know it was an American film therefore didn't know we are on our second iteration of an American Godzilla, still thought Godzilla 1998 was the only American Godzilla still.

Story: So met the brother of one of my acquaintances, dude saw Kong: Skull Island with his brother, they ended up liking it. I tell them about the Monsterverse, how it's a shared cinematic universe with that version of Kong and the American Godzilla. He screams no, and didn't calm down till his brother said "the OTHER American Godzilla, the one from the 2014 film, that we movie we saw a few years back." Dude was not a Godzilla fan but he really, Really did not like G'98 but did enjoy G2014.
Adding to this, the acquaintance said he really didn't understand why people hate Godzilla 1998. His brother (the one who doesn't like 98) and I ended up explaining that they pretty much nerfed Superman. We actually had to explain to him the difference between conventional weapons and super weapons, which is why I was okay with him being harmed by the bunker busters in Shin. His brother further added that pretty much the only way to kill Godzilla is "the same way he was created, by dropping a nuke on him." Again this isn't even a fan saying this. We also used an analogy if I tried to stab Superman with butter knives we would not accept him being stabbed cause that's bullshit, but if Wolverine stabbed Superman we would accept that because we can believable see adamantium actually be strong enough to cut Superman.

He showed he had no sense of scale by saying "at least he wasn't hurt by bullets."

At that size, bullets should be dust to him. At least it made some sense with Kong in KSI, he was much smaller, still growing and I think they are going with a badass normal theme with him, though once he's big enough to fight Godzilla we'd probably need missiles to get through Kong's skin. Oh and this is after he's seen countless clips of Godzilla wad through missiles and lasers over the years, seen Shin deadpan through rockets to the face and cut Tokyo's skyline in half like a light-saber.

Got a similar response when someone else I know saw Godzilla King of The Monsters trailer and said "I don't get why people hate the 1998 movie".

Really? You see all this cool shit, stuff we had to wait 20+ years to see Hollywood do because of said film killing off interest in Godzilla, nigh, the kaiju genera, and don't get why G98 is the black sheep in the family? Like I'm not trying to take enjoyment away from people who like G98, I don't even hate the film anymore, I'm just annoyed when people ask me why it wasn't accepted by a lot of the Godzilla fanbase, they are making rocket science out of something that should be obvious.

If you have to ask me, then no amount of explanation I can give will get through to you.

I'm coming off like a snob and I really don't want to, it's just perplexing that people who ask me why it's disliked make it seem like it's more complex than it is when it's pretty simple. You can say these are people trolling me but no, I've known these people for years, they are dead serious confused, they're just...."dense". It's gotten to the point where I've opted for if they ask me why that film is disliked I just pretend I didn't hear the question and change the topic.

The person who saw the King of the Monsters trailer also had a similar moment to the aquaintince's brother by asking "is this an American film?" while watching the trailer. She's seen Godzilla 2014 and KSI. I'm perplexed how they could think otherwise when the production value and all the white actors and U.S. cities screams America/Hollywood. :? :eh: :dizzy:
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Redlettermedia's Comic con video has Mike ask if King of The Monsters is a sequel to Godzilla 2014.
Apparently, he was confused because of all the canons but still a pretty weird question
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Redlettermedia's Comic con video has Mike ask if King of The Monsters is a sequel to Godzilla 2014.
Apparently, he was confused because of all the canons but still a pretty weird question
I several people I know asked if King of the Monsters is an American film while watching the trailer. All of them have seen G2014 and KSI.

I'm so confused by their confusion.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

It's probably because Godzilla 2014 was four years ago and people are used to much shorter turnarounds for sequels nowadays. Four years might seem like enough time to warrant a reboot to these people after getting stuff like, say, The Amazing Spiderman 2 and Homecoming within 3 years of each other.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'd like to flip this issue around and point out that these people seem to be aware that Godzilla even has non-American movies and multiple continuities, and assume that it's possible for Japan to produce a movie that looks as good as G:KOTM. I'd look at those as good points.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio