Can Godzilla Burrow?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SpaceG92
Keizer

Can Godzilla Burrow?

Post by SpaceG92 »

**Excluding Zilla's species

Can any Godzilla burrow? Has this power been displayed or hinted at on screen or in another medium? I SWEAR i've seen a scene or an "implied" scene that Godzilla did burrow at least once. I just cannot remember and it's bugging me.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Can Godzilla Burrow?

Post by Dr. Professor »

He came out of the ground during the oil refinery scene in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Dr. Professor wrote:He came out of the ground during the oil refinery scene in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla.
I always thought that was a dry dock near the water?

I guess that was the scene I was remember but - as above. I always thought it was a harbor dock or something of the like.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:He came out of the ground during the oil refinery scene in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla.
I always thought that was a dry dock near the water?

I guess that was the scene I was remember but - as above. I always thought it was a harbor dock or something of the like.
I think he was directly under a building.

Edit: Never mind, you're probably right. I had no idea what a dry dock was, I had to google it.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Apparently GXM Godzilla is stated to be able to burrow, but I don't recall seeing such a scene in Godzilla vs Megaguirus.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Heisei Godzilla can dig his way through the Earth's mantle and out a volcano like a boss.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

He emerged from the ground in Mothra vs. Godzilla, so I'd always assumed he dug down to get a little R&R.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kiryu2012 wrote:Apparently GXM Godzilla is stated to be able to burrow, but I don't recall seeing such a scene in Godzilla vs Megaguirus.
They didn't directly show it, but he was implied to have been buried by the DT and was surfacing at the end of the movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I was always personally under the impression he could.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

GigaBowserG wrote:He emerged from the ground in Mothra vs. Godzilla, so I'd always assumed he dug down to get a little R&R.
I think he was washed up and buried under mud in that movie.
Last edited by KillCrites on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I don't see why he couldn't. Probably not quite as well as the likes of Baragon and Megalon, sure, but Godzilla's still got claws to lem him dig through dirt, after all.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KillCrites wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:He emerged from the ground in Mothra vs. Godzilla, so I'd always assumed he dug down to get a little R&R.
I was always under the belief that the earthquake at the end of King Kong vs. Godzilla was Godzilla burrowing underground going away from Kong while Kong went the other way out into the ocean, thus leading to Godzilla being underground in the following film Mothra vs. Godzilla. He was just brought up to the surface because the area was washed out by the floods.

That's just my head cannon and piecing things together, though.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
KillCrites wrote:
I was always under the belief that the earthquake at the end of King Kong vs. Godzilla was Godzilla burrowing underground going away from Kong while Kong went the other way out into the ocean, thus leading to Godzilla being underground in the following film Mothra vs. Godzilla. He was just brought up to the surface because the area was washed out by the floods.

That's just my head cannon and piecing things together, though.
I always assumed that the earthquake was a narrative excuse to break up the fight, in order to let it end unresolved.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I always thought the earthquake was just the above-surface manifestation of their titanic blows; and that the tsunami burying Godzilla in mud (honestly, I just figured while he was slumbering, not due to injuries in vs. Kong) what buried him in Mothra vs. Godzilla.

How fascinating to find so many different interpretations of a few simple scenes that most probably didn't spare a second thought before today.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

SpaceG92 wrote:**Excluding Zilla's species

Can any Godzilla burrow? Has this power been displayed or hinted at on screen or in another medium? I SWEAR i've seen a scene or an "implied" scene that Godzilla did burrow at least once. I just cannot remember and it's bugging me.
That was Godzilla vs Mothra, I think. Also, Terror of Mechagodzilla did have him pop up in Japan out of nowhere twice. The only reason I can think of is that he can indeed burrow (unless he can teleport)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

HillyHulk wrote: That was Godzilla vs Mothra, I think. Also, Terror of Mechagodzilla did have him pop up in Japan out of nowhere twice. The only reason I can think of is that he can indeed burrow (unless he can teleport)
In TOMG, Godzilla is shown traveling from the ocean on the BHP3's monitor to fight Titanosaurus. I suppose he could burrow, he kinda did it in GvMG74.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
HillyHulk wrote: That was Godzilla vs Mothra, I think. Also, Terror of Mechagodzilla did have him pop up in Japan out of nowhere twice. The only reason I can think of is that he can indeed burrow (unless he can teleport)
In TOMG, Godzilla is shown traveling from the ocean on the BHP3's monitor to fight Titanosaurus. I suppose he could burrow, he kinda did it in GvMG74.
I could be remembering wrong, but the only time we see him do that was the very last moment of the film when he's leaving into the ocean.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

HillyHulk wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
I could be remembering wrong, but the only time we see him do that was the very last moment of the film when he's leaving into the ocean.
Swimming? I should've clarified, on the monitor it was just a dot that was marked Godzilla's position in the ocean.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Heisei version was buried underground and emerged from the volcano, so I say he can. Godzilla probably is more likely to swim or walk, though. If Gorosaurus can burrow, though, there's no reason that Godzilla shouldn't be able to.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

Makes you wonder how he got into that cavern on Letchi Island undetected by the Red Bamboo between the events of Monster Zero and 'vs. the Sea Monster'...

One could assume that he burrowed there as there were no signs of water in that cavern that led to the open ocean.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."