"RAMPAGE" - Game To Film?!?!

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Re: "RAMPAGE" - Game To Film?!?!

Postby Mr. Yellow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:22 am

I kinda disagree, Ralph was kind of tossed aside, but I get they wanted to get to the big fight. I think it made sense to move it from mutated humans to regular animals. This way they can kill off said monsters without killing a human character.

Let’s talk about the deleted scene though:

Spoiler:
Was this intended as a scrapped post credits scene? Was it originally in the movie somewhere? What happened to the supposed Kingston scene and artwork? For a possible sequel, will it be set in the water? Cal must come on land, I don’t see George fighting him in the water.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:09 pm

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I sincerely hope this doesn't get a sequel. Apparently you guys like it. So I don't mean to rain on your parade.

I mean, even if it would clear $100 million in the US, it still is well below its production budget from its home market and overall reviews weren't that kind. It could totally get a sequel, but I think it's far from guaranteed. It's not that I doubt its profitability, but unlike Kong or even the original Pacific Rim, this wasn't that well regarded.

Mr. Yellow wrote:I kinda disagree, Ralph was kind of tossed aside, but I get they wanted to get to the big fight. I think it made sense to move it from mutated humans to regular animals. This way they can kill off said monsters without killing a human character.

Let’s talk about the deleted scene though:

Spoiler:
Was this intended as a scrapped post credits scene? Was it originally in the movie somewhere? What happened to the supposed Kingston scene and artwork? For a possible sequel, will it be set in the water? Cal must come on land, I don’t see George fighting him in the water.

I don't think they've said, but probably an ending moment or something after the credits.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

The One and Only
EDF Soldier

Postby The One and Only » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:14 pm

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:Finally watched this movie tonight. I'm fresh off of it. It unfortunately managed to be even less enjoyable than I thought it would be. I genuinely believe the cast tried, but the whole movie felt hollow. I felt a little emotion at the climax, but definitely not the emotion the film was going for.

I felt that Lizzie and, especially, Ralph were so disrespected. Apart from a little fanservice tossed in here and there, there was nothing about the treatment of the monsters that suggested anyone involved cared about the games at all.

The first act of the movie kinda got my hopes up that I would come out of this movie satisfied to some degree. But the second act dragged and the third act left me disappointed.

The only positives about this movie? The Rock is in it. And he pals around with a Gorilla. And the effects are okay.

I expected this movie to be vaguely Rampage-ish with mutated animals instead of humans. Something that perhaps didn't really understand the source material (as simple as it is) but tried to do it justice in some capacity. Instead I got something that manages to its namesake no justice and doesn't have enough brains or heart to hold up on its own either.

I sincerely hope this doesn't get a sequel. Apparently you guys like it. So I don't mean to rain on your parade. I still haven't seen Pacific Rim: Uprising. If it's even less enjoyable than this? Well, that's impressive.

Then you'll enjoy this.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:18 am

Mr. Yellow wrote:Let’s talk about the deleted scene though

I'm pretty sure that was a post-credits scene.

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:15 am

It wasn’t in the final cut, nor was the VFX completed so either way it’s technically a deleted scene.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:16 am

Mr. Yellow wrote:It wasn’t in the final cut, nor was the VFX completed so either way it’s technically a deleted scene.

If it's not in the final cut, or an extended cut, it is by definition a deleted scene. It's intended place in the film, well, that's a different story.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:22 am

Having it in the regular movie without payoff doesn’t make sense to me.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:02 am

Mr. Yellow wrote:It wasn’t in the final cut, nor was the VFX completed so either way it’s technically a deleted scene.

No I meant it was a deleted post-credits scene.

Also I don't know if ts been mentioned yet but George was supposed to die at the end, but it was the Rock that was adamant that he didn't.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 512414002/

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:36 am

Finally picked this up and watched it last night. I always watch every film with moderate to low expectations. This was pretty enjoyable! Didn't expect much from it so wasn't disappointed. Thought it was a fun monster flick. Wife did too. Would definitely watch it again.
Resized Image

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:16 pm

Its at $432 million now. Its within striking distance of the highest video game movie ever.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:40 am

Maritonic wrote:Finally picked this up and watched it last night. I always watch every film with moderate to low expectations. This was pretty enjoyable! Didn't expect much from it so wasn't disappointed. Thought it was a fun monster flick. Wife did too. Would definitely watch it again.

Who was your favorite monster?

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:41 am

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Finally picked this up and watched it last night. I always watch every film with moderate to low expectations. This was pretty enjoyable! Didn't expect much from it so wasn't disappointed. Thought it was a fun monster flick. Wife did too. Would definitely watch it again.

Who was your favorite monster?

I've always been a fan of Ralph, and that applied here as well. I loved every second he was on screen. But honestly enjoyed all of them.

Sure it was a departure from the source material but eh. I don't think it would have worked as well if they stayed true. Personally.
Resized Image

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Finally watched this, and I have to say, easily one of the best monster movies of the year. Characters were enjoyable, they perfectly mixed a serious tone and the gleefuly chaotic tone from the games. And of course, the monsters were great. George was genuinely sympathetic while still being funny and threatning, Ralph was a bit underused but still cool, and my girl Lizzie stole the show and made a great "final boss" antagonist. In short, I loved it.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:05 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Finally watched this, and I have to say, easily one of the best monster movies of the year.

I mean, between Monster Planet and Pacific Rim: Uprising, that isn't such a hard feat to pull off. :lol:

I was watching the special features on my bluray. Apparently, in Not Just a Game Anymore, they mention that early scripts did in fact stay faithful to the original series by having transformed humans instead of the overused genetic-engineered animal cliche.

That's just a shame they chose the script they did...
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Finally watched this, and I have to say, easily one of the best monster movies of the year.

I mean, between Monster Planet and Pacific Rim: Uprising, that isn't such a hard feat to pull off. :lol:

Agreed there. Hopefully, The Meg and The Predator add it to be more then 1 or 2 good monster movies.

I was watching the special features on my bluray. Apparently, in Not Just a Game Anymore, they mention that early scripts did in fact stay faithful to the original series by having transformed humans instead of the overused genetic-engineered animal cliche.

That's just a shame they chose the script they did...

Really? Damn, that would have been great to seem I know that it could be ridiculous and I love the movie we got, but the classic formula of humans to monsters could work. I'd especially like to see it with the tone established here, as it would basically be the kaiju equivalent of An American Werewolf in London.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

GojiDude
Ronin

Postby GojiDude » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:45 pm

At least Use Boll didn't direct it.......

....which is a good omen.
"This world NEVER belonged to us. It belonged to THEM."

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:41 am

The Rampage blu-ray and 4K are on sale today on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Rampage-BD-Blu-r ... dpSrc=srch

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:39 am

Godzillian wrote:The Rampage blu-ray and 4K are on sale today on Amazon

I’ll wait until around Christmas time when it’s like $10. Anything more than that is overpriced IMO.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:39 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzillian wrote:The Rampage blu-ray and 4K are on sale today on Amazon

I’ll wait until around Christmas time when it’s like $10. Anything more than that is overpriced IMO.

So true.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:39 am

My brief thoughts after finally watching this:

That actually was a lot of fun. It moves at a nice clip and the climax in Chicago was great. The special FX were also quite good; I wonder if it will score an Oscar nomination like KONG: SKULL ISLAND did. It has its flaws, mainly in the forms of characters who are introduced and then just simply disappear from the rest of the movie. But it delivered on the destruction and giant monster action.

So Lizzie is a giant alligator with spikes on its back and a spiked tail. In short, it's basically Toho's Anguirus. Ralph is a wolf, but has a single line of spikes running down its back and flying squirrel-esque membranes for gliding. It's Toho's Varan. George is a giant gorilla. So the finale is King Kong vs. Anguirus and Varan. Not a bad hustle on the filmmakers' parts.

Return to “Monster Manor”