Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
NateZilla10000
Monsterland Worker

Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by NateZilla10000 »

Announced at around the same time the trailer dropped, the news of the composer was soon swept away by the hype of other aspects of the film.

Bear McCreary (known most for God of War, the Walking Dead series, Battlestar Galactica, and 10 Cloverfield Lane) has been announced as the composer to Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

Furthermore, Mike Dougherty has offered insight on the score, promising that not only would translations of Godzilla's original theme return, but the themes of the other monsters as well.

Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/bear-mccreary ... -con-2018/

Of personal opinion, I am both disappointed and excited. On one hand, it's sad to see the Oscar-winning Alexandre Desplat go. He did a phenomenal job with 2014 and I was kind of hoping he would come back for the sequel; especially after listening to his score for Isle of Dogs (which I highly recommend, by the way).

Nonetheless, on the other hand, the news of the returning themes is nothing less than thrilling. I'm already imagining a revamped Ghidorah theme as he shreds through cities backed on his lightning storm.

This is gonna be fun. :D

And just to give an idea of McCreary's work:

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by TyrantGojira »

While I will miss the main theme Despalt has composed for Godzilla, I'm still incredibly excited to see what McCreary can bring to the table.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

God I just can't wait to hear Rodan's classic theme as he takes flight.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I love his Agents of Shield work so this is great news.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm not overly familiar with his work but I'm fairly partial to the Walking Dead theme music. He's not someone I would have even remotely expected. I would have bet actual money on Douglas Pipes. Oh well I hope they use Rodan's theme from the original movie. Hard to see or imagine Ghidorah destroy shit and not hear his classic Ifukube theme.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I didn't expect him to get the job, but I'm all for it. A part of me will miss Desplat, but the fact that we're going to get some Ifukube mixed in totally makes up for it.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

Not too familiar with his past work aside from GOW 4 overture - though if he had anything to do with the score of the trailer I think we're in good hands
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Love the promise of Ifukube themes, but disappointed with the composer choice.
I wish they went with someone like Michael Giacchino, John Ottman, Brian Tyler, Steve Jablonsky, or one of the many Han Zimmer protégées.

I’m definitely glad Desplat isn’t back tho. Wasn’t a fan of his 2014 score at all.
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

YAS! I love this guy's work. The score of 10 Cloverfield Lane is one of my favorite film scores of all time, so I friggin love this news. Here's a taste of the awesome 10CFL score for those not familiar:
LONG LIVE THE KING

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Man. I really hope that if anything the at least carry over Godzilla’s 2014 theme in the opening credits. Kinda like how they kept the Spider-Man Main theme for Spider-Man 3 but changed composers.
GO GO GOJI KUN

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:
I’m definitely glad Desplat isn’t back tho. Wasn’t a fan of his 2014 score at all.
I'm relieved on that count as well. Desplat's work during the buildup throughout was fine, but the monster action score felt aggressively un-Godzilla like. It pulled me out of the film during the climactic fight scenes with the MUTOs and made me feel like I wasn't watching a Godzilla film. As much as I appreciated all the hard work and respect that had gone into the movie, I was disappointed with the extent to which I didn't feel like I was watching a real Godzilla story unfold, and Desplat's score was the singlemost damaging contributor to lack of authenticity.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

McCreary is an excellent choice in my opinion; his work in GOW is absolutely beautiful, emotional and powerful.

Just imagine something like this for Mothra:

#BotM

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Very excited to hear how the final score turns out. Very curious which Ifukube pieces they use. Dougherty said they will be using Godzilla "themes". He didn't specify which ones. Personally I hope they use the Godzilla March as opposed to the Godzilla Theme as I have always liked that one better and associated that one with the character more.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Xagzan
GPN Volunteer

Post by Xagzan »

Y'all gotta watch Black Sails.

I loved his music for that, as well as his opening theme for Da Vinci's Demons, which I probably liked better than the show itself.

He also did the awesome title theme for NBC's short lived Constantine, which I thought was actually pretty enjoyable.

Of course, none of those sound like kaiju music, but he is a great composer. Happy to have him aboard. Never would've thought while I was watching all those shows, that someday he'd be scoring Godzilla.

Can't wait to hear the Ifukube themes.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

He also did the soundtrack for the AVGN movie.

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Good choice on James Rolfe.
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:Very excited to hear how the final score turns out. Very curious which Ifukube pieces they use. Dougherty said they will be using Godzilla "themes". He didn't specify which ones. Personally I hope they use the Godzilla March as opposed to the Godzilla Theme as I have always liked that one better and associated that one with the character more.
I agree, plus I think the Godzilla March would fit this Godzilla's character much more.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

Thank God Desplat isn't back. Really didn't care for the 2014 score. The only moment I like from that score is when Godzilla is looking at Ford. The rest doesn't fit Godzilla at all
Last edited by KingZillla on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

I'm very excited by this guy's body of work, he seems well suited to do a Godzilla movie. I am a bit disappointed to see Desplat go though. I hope they use his main theme from G2014 for Godzilla at least once in awhile, I enjoyed it.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Relair wrote:I'm very excited by this guy's body of work, he seems well suited to do a Godzilla movie. I am a bit disappointed to see Desplat go though. I hope they use his main theme from G2014 for Godzilla at least once in awhile, I enjoyed it.
Agree.
GO GO GOJI KUN