Monster Speculation: RODAN

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Re: Monster Speculation: RODAN

Post by ebirah_scampi »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
ebirah_scampi wrote:Are you saying you don't think it's obvious on first glance or do you still not think it's got two crests...?
I'm mostly just messin' with you. But yes, on my first glance I didn't really make out the second crest so he just looked a little off. Didn't notice it till people replied to me

That makes a lot more sense lol.

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

Looking forward to see "Fire" Rodan.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

DaddlerTheDalek wrote:Looking forward to see "Fire" Rodan.
He's even smaller, you might have to squint :P
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Seems like Rodan would be pretty hard to bite into if
Spoiler:
his blood is literal magma?! Does this mean he can use lava as a projectile? Also, good luck donating blood, Rodan.. No free Chipolte burrito for you!!

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

While Mothra was the one that had my intreast peeked the most for a while, with the new info Titanus Rodan is now my most looked forward to monster in the film.
Last edited by Monster X on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Monster X wrote:While Mothra was the one that had my intreast peeked the most for a while, with the new info Titanus Rodan is now my most looked forward to monster in the film.
I agree. While Ghidorah is my most hyped kaiju to see, Rodan is my second. He's a very popular kaiju but still feels underrated somehow. Godzilla is my third most hyped with Mothra 4th. I just don't have the interest for her honestly. If they start announcing other brand new kaiju.. oh boy it'll start getting exciting. I want the 4 classics with new monsters.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

EL NIDO DEL DEMONIO = The Demon's Nest
vibramrunner wrote:Seems like Rodan would be pretty hard to bite into if
Spoiler:
his blood is literal magma?! Does this mean he can use lava as a projectile? Also, good luck donating blood, Rodan.. No free Chipolte burrito for you!!
Just like the Magma Turtle from Skull Island: The Birth of Kong tie in comic.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

So, assuming that sculpture actually is Rodan, I'm really happy with the design. However, I am ticked that he's only 46 meters tall. What the hell? That's the smallest a main kaiju has been ever. That's smaller than the male MUTO. I was really hoping they wouldn't go the Heisei Rodan "small but fast" route and instead make him a huge physical powerhouse like Showa Rodan, able to take on Godzilla head-on. But, oh well. Maybe, with any luck, it'll be a case of the official stats not matching up with what's presented on screen, like Gorosaurus in Destroy All Monsters.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:So, assuming that sculpture actually is Rodan, I'm really happy with the design. However, I am ticked that he's only 46 meters tall. What the hell? That's the smallest a main kaiju has been ever. That's smaller than the male MUTO. I was really hoping they wouldn't go the Heisei Rodan "small but fast" route and instead make him a huge physical powerhouse like Showa Rodan, able to take on Godzilla head-on. But, oh well. Maybe, with any luck, it'll be a case of the official stats not matching up with what's presented on screen, like Gorosaurus in Destroy All Monsters.
That's possible. I mentioned in another thread that these body measurements may just be estimates. Remember, nobody from Monarch has actually seen these creatures yet.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Profile says Rodan's nature is Bio-Volcanic, so...he might be like that Magma Turtle.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:So, assuming that sculpture actually is Rodan, I'm really happy with the design. However, I am ticked that he's only 46 meters tall. What the hell? That's the smallest a main kaiju has been ever. That's smaller than the male MUTO. I was really hoping they wouldn't go the Heisei Rodan "small but fast" route and instead make him a huge physical powerhouse like Showa Rodan, able to take on Godzilla head-on. But, oh well. Maybe, with any luck, it'll be a case of the official stats not matching up with what's presented on screen, like Gorosaurus in Destroy All Monsters.
He could still be growing like Kong. Or they might be going the route of small but packs a punch. The male MUTO was able to drag Godzilla, imagine a small Rodan on upping that by litterally lifting him off the ground and flying.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Living Corpse wrote:Or they might be going the route of small but packs a punch.
Yeah, which is the route I really didn't want them to go.
Living Corpse wrote:The male MUTO was able to drag Godzilla, imagine a small Rodan on upping that by litterally lifting him off the ground and flying.
That would look stupid, quite frankly. The male MUTO was already fairly dinky compared to Godzilla, and then they went and made Rodan even smaller? If Rodan doesn't grow at any point during the film (maybe these stats are for baby, fresh-out-of-the-egg Rodan?), then it'll look about as believable as Minya judo-flipping Destoroyah over his shoulder.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:
That would look stupid, quite frankly. The male MUTO was already fairly dinky compared to Godzilla, and then they went and made Rodan even smaller? If Rodan doesn't grow at any point during the film (maybe these stats are for baby, fresh-out-of-the-egg Rodan?), then it'll look about as believable as Minya judo-flipping Destoroyah over his shoulder.
Is Rodan smaller? I don't think the Muto's ever got an official height.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Living Corpse wrote:Is Rodan smaller? I don't think the Muto's ever got an official height.
According to the Toho Kingdom bio, various sources state the male is either 91 meters or 60 meters. I'm inclined to believe 60 is closer, otherwise the male would be roughly the same size as Godzilla. And, as revealed in the MONARCH files, Rodan is 46.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Is Rodan smaller? I don't think the Muto's ever got an official height.
According to the Toho Kingdom bio, various sources state the male is either 91 meters or 60 meters. I'm inclined to believe 60 is closer, otherwise the male would be roughly the same size as Godzilla. And, as revealed in the MONARCH files, Rodan is 46.
Hmm, well Monarch has a wingspan for Mothra...but she's still in her cocoon. So it must be from the previous one that caused the Great Smog of London.

Where am I going with this? Monarch fuck up. Hey we both said maybe Rodan is still growing like Kong (who incidentally is mention in Rodan's profile). You might be right and the height is a measurement for when they first found him. They even said they can't equipment to work right due to the nature of the environment so maybe it's a guess?

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

People do know height doesn’t always equal overall mass. Rodan can be shorter than the Male Muto but still be larger width and length than him.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Keep in mind that the measurement is a kaiju's height off the ground. Mothra, crawling on its belly, is only measured at 50 ft off the ground. So if Rodan is a wing walker, for example, and hunched over because of it, then his actual size is going to be depressed by that measurement.

Added in 8 minutes 59 seconds:
Also, that's totally neat -- I forgot about magma turtle! A smaller Rodan would fit right into the fauna of Skull Island, wouldn't he?

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

So I'm listening to the Matt Frank interview on ETN. Here's what he says about the Rodan maquette:

"I have it on good authority, that that is, if it's not the final design, it is a concept. It is an official concept design".

GRAIN OF SALT OF COURSE.

At about the 5 minute mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__bU0lr5jgo
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Well all that magma and volcanic rock make him an even bigger nightmare to deal with.

He's a monster that can already fly as supersonic speeds allowing it to travel anywhere in the world in almost no time and run circles round any aircraft trying to deal with it. He can also produce a sonic thunderclap capable of levelling a city.

Now he's got active magma running through his body, that means if you do somehow damage him you going to spill magma all over area. That could cause a mass fire outbreak made worse by the high wind speeds generated by Rodan if he stays in the area. It could even generate fire storms!

The real worse case is if Rodan divebombs. If he hit anything while going at fill speed it would be like a small volcanic eruption!
Last edited by Monster X on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Posted this in the other thread but it's relevant here. Off thought about Rodan's height? What if it seems small because he's a quadruped? Pterosaurs are now known to have definitely not walked on their hindlegs (alone) so perhaps his stance has been shifted accordingly and he moved on the ground like a bear, walking on all fours and occasionally rearing up.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Monster X wrote:Well all that magma and volcanic rock make him an even bigger nightmare to deal with.

He's a monster that can already fly as supersonic speeds allowing it to travel anywhere in the world in almost no time and run circles round any aircraft trying to deal with it. He can also produce a sonic thunderclap capable of levelling a city.

Now he's got active magma running through his body, that means if you do somehow damage him you going to spill magma all over area. That could cause a mass fire outbreak made worse by the high wind speeds generated by Rodan if he stays in the area. It could even generate fire storms!

The real worse case is if Rodan divebombs. If he hit anything while going at fill speed it would be like a small volcanic eruption!
Even if Rodan doesn't have literal lava for blood, the fact he can literally live partially submerge in it means his blood could be just as hot. Hell maybe he needs his body to be at near lava temp to live. Either way, his body is fucking hot.

Now here's another scary thought, even if you damage his armor, he'll just repair it, volcano are to him what reactors are to Heisei Godzilla.