"RAMPAGE" - Game To Film?!?!

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The One and Only
EDF Soldier

Re: "RAMPAGE" - Game To Film?!?!

Postby The One and Only » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 pm

master_of_monsters wrote:dumb idea. I'd like a crossover with The Meg

I could see it. On the subject of crossovers, one that comes to mind is the a no brainer to those familiar with my avatar, the Inhumanoids. The flick's tone was similar in a lot of ways to what a live action take what the Evil That Lies Within would've been if I made it. Besides who wouldn't like to see D'Compose raising Ralph and Lizzie, and seeing George and Earth Corps having to deal with the zombified versions of the two ?
Last edited by The One and Only on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Imagine the megalodon being infected by the pathogen. :freak: :shock:

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

Imagine the megalodon being infected by the pathogen. :freak: :shock:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1705773/ pretty much
your source of self destruction

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:35 am

There’s a deleted scene in the Blu-ray special features that potentially

Spoiler:
Teases Cal the squid. Guess the Kingston going was fake.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Anonziller
Yojimbo

Postby Anonziller » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:57 am

How long do you guys think it’ll be until we get a sequel?

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 am

Anonziller wrote:How long do you guys think it’ll be until we get a sequel?

Assuming it does get one, probably not for 2 years at the minimum. Tbh I even doubt it will get a sequel

TyrantGojira
Futurian

Postby TyrantGojira » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:06 am

Mr. Yellow wrote:There’s a deleted scene in the Blu-ray special features that potentially

Spoiler:
Teases Cal the squid. Guess the Kingston going was fake.

Huh. Wasn’t expecting that. Thought they would tease one of the monsters from Universal Tour.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Anonziller wrote:How long do you guys think it’ll be until we get a sequel?

The typical timeframe for a Hollywood sequel is two to three years, so probably Spring/Summer 2020 or 2021 IMO. We might hear something as soon as this weekend, depending on if they decide to mention it at SDCC. It may be a bit further than that, though, if they want to keep both Peyton and Johnson since I think they're slated to do San Andreas 2 next (and Johnson has a few films lined up, probably most significantly Jumanji 2.

I picked up my copy of Rampage today, BTW! I think I'll be watching it tonight. :)

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Make sure you guys fill out the survey inside telling them you love Rampage.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Kongamera
Ronin

Postby Kongamera » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:40 pm

At Deadline Hollywood's recent box office report, I saw this interesting line "At $140M production cost and a $425.6M global gross, 38% of that coming from China, finance sources tell us that Rampage will likely be around break-even two years after its release once all markets have played out, including foreign TV deals. "

That's surprising, Box Office Mojo lists production budget at $120 million and at global $425 million and still going on, the movie already made 3.5 times its production budget in global grosses. I thought would be making profit by now yet Deadline says it will take two years more just to break-even? I don't get it.

Jeff-Goldblum1
Interpol Agent

Postby Jeff-Goldblum1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:42 pm

Just picked up this movie to rewatch it and I realized I'm pleased as punch we now have a crocodile kaiju and a wolf kaiju in the film world of giant monsters.

UltimateDitto
Futurian

Postby UltimateDitto » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Okay, so I got the Blu Ray and this was my first time watching the movie. And overall it was pretty darn good!
Spoiler:
The movie does have its problems, so I'll start here.
- The dude with the glasses disappeared, I thought he would be a constant character throughout the movie, but no, he vanished.
- Lizzie should have gotten a bit more screen time.
- Surprisingly serious, the beginning was dark, and I wasn't expecting to see George's backstory be so brutal. It had jokes, but it wasn't exactly an action comedy.
- Allot of 'poop', I give 'damn' and 'crap' some love too! :lol:

Pro's
- Got to the monsters from start to finish.
- Larry was in the film! I originally was hoping he would be a hidden fourth monster that fought with the other three, but I liked how he was used anyways.
- Action was pretty brutal, but awesome!
- I say it stayed true to the ORIGINAL games.
- JDM was definitely a highlight in the film! Rock was good too, as usual. Naomi Harris was a pleasure to watch, I didn't feel like she was overshadowed by Rock, the two felt like even partners.
- Villains were alright, I liked the dynamic the siblings had, the brother was the spazzing coward, while the sister was the calm and collective one.
- George was great.
- Ralph was awesome, his opening fight was intense! Shame he died, but that was an awesome death.
- Seeing the trio smash around the city was a real treat and it felt like watching three players just destroy and having fun while doing it!

I overall believe Rampage is better than Uprising, Uprising had it's moments, but I just had a blast watching this! :lol:
-
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Anonziller
Yojimbo

Postby Anonziller » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 am

Can you tell us about the deleted scenes? I haven’t bought the Blu-ray yet and I really want to know what they are.

UltimateDitto
Futurian

Postby UltimateDitto » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:35 am

Anonziller wrote:Can you tell us about the deleted scenes? I haven’t bought the Blu-ray yet and I really want to know what they are.

Spoiler:
One is about the brother and sister discussing how the monsters can be used as weapons, with the sister giving a rather dark speech about how it doesn't matter that Chicago and the people are destroyed, it would make the monsters and tech more valuable.

Zammit? (The man who was tasked with finding and capturing/killing Ralph) had a scene where a man in a truck drives up to his team and demanded to know why they were here, (Zammit and his team were bagging the dead wolves.) The man threatens to shoot him if he doesn't start talking, but Zammit gets a message from his earpiece, (probably the sister) and immediatley shoots the man in the head. We get a slow motion, close up shot of the gun firing, then the man falls limp. Zammit yells "hurry up!" To his squad.

At the end where George is pretending to be dead, and the Rock is looking at all the people, there was a lady holding a dog, looking for her husband, who shows up and embraces the two.

Some scenes with unfinished cgi.

Now the big one.

The scenes starts underwater before slowing rising to the surface, there a canister pops up and bobs in the water.
We see a group of people about to go scuba diving, there getting ready, when the camera shows us a birds eye view of the boat, slowly zooming out as the water begins to darken, we see a silhouette of a giant squids tentacles about to attack the boat, and the scene ends.
Last edited by UltimateDitto on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Anonziller
Yojimbo

Postby Anonziller » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 pm

Cool! Thanks.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Kongamera wrote:At Deadline Hollywood's recent box office report, I saw this interesting line "At $140M production cost and a $425.6M global gross, 38% of that coming from China, finance sources tell us that Rampage will likely be around break-even two years after its release once all markets have played out, including foreign TV deals. "

That's surprising, Box Office Mojo lists production budget at $120 million and at global $425 million and still going on, the movie already made 3.5 times its production budget in global grosses. I thought would be making profit by now yet Deadline says it will take two years more just to break-even? I don't get it.

I call bull.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Yeah I disbelieve that. And whichever budget is true, I am confident that it was profitable. Didn't Godzilla need $380 million to break even? I think that's what we were told, and Godzilla was more expensive. I wouldn't doubt the Rock is getting a bigger share than any star from Godzilla, but still.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:58 am

I was hoping they would have shown the George/bear fight. We haven't seen one of those since Son of Kong back in 1933.
Last edited by Shhh! The Octopus on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROMG4
Interpol Agent

Postby ROMG4 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Tohosaurus wrote:Yeah I disbelieve that. And whichever budget is true, I am confident that it was profitable. Didn't Godzilla need $380 million to break even? I think that's what we were told, and Godzilla was more expensive. I wouldn't doubt the Rock is getting a bigger share than any star from Godzilla, but still.

Yeah, I'm really tired of this "Poor Hollywood, films are so hard to make profit with now"

That data doesn't factor in hundreds of things most Hollywood films have to reduce the cost and increase the profits

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Finally watched this movie tonight. I'm fresh off of it. It unfortunately managed to be even less enjoyable than I thought it would be. I genuinely believe the cast tried, but the whole movie felt hollow. I felt a little emotion at the climax, but definitely not the emotion the film was going for.

I felt that Lizzie and, especially, Ralph were so disrespected. Apart from a little fanservice tossed in here and there, there was nothing about the treatment of the monsters that suggested anyone involved cared about the games at all.

The first act of the movie kinda got my hopes up that I would come out of this movie satisfied to some degree. But the second act dragged and the third act left me disappointed.

The only positives about this movie? The Rock is in it. And he pals around with a Gorilla. And the effects are okay.

I expected this movie to be vaguely Rampage-ish with mutated animals instead of humans. Something that perhaps didn't really understand the source material (as simple as it is) but tried to do it justice in some capacity. Instead I got something that manages to its namesake no justice and doesn't have enough brains or heart to hold up on its own either.

I sincerely hope this doesn't get a sequel. Apparently you guys like it. So I don't mean to rain on your parade. I still haven't seen Pacific Rim: Uprising. If it's even less enjoyable than this? Well, that's impressive.

Return to “Monster Manor”