Excuses, Excuses, Excuses - What's the lamest excuse said or done to get out watching a kaiju film with you?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses - What's the lamest excuse said or done to get out watching a kaiju film with you?

Post by BlankAccount »

-Know a guy who because he saw Minlla talk when he was a kid just can not get over it despite being told repeatedly it is a dream sequence, and can't get over over the suits. That's his excuses, which don't hold up since he has no problem accepting a talking Raccoon and several of his favorite movies involve guys in rubber suits. His brother is the same. Ironically their father loves Godzilla films.

-Same guy above asked me to take him to see Godzilla 2014. The night before I called to make sure we were still going. "Oh sorry bro, my brother took me to Comic Con." He now has said movie in his collection along with Godzilla 1998. Like Jesus Christ dude, Godzilla 2014 and the Japanese Godzilla are pretty much the same god damn thing, sea monsters that fight other monster and shoot magical lasers from their mouths. You know Godzilla 2014 is getting a free pass for the same reason as Godzilla 1998 (along with Pacific Rim) even though 2014 is the same as the classic Godzilla and G98 is far removed. Cause they are Hollywood films. The only thing foreign this guy likes is animes and games. He hated the dub in the live action Attack on Titan movies but refused to watch them sub. Well...pick your god damn poison and shut the fuck up, you have those two options or don't watch the movie at all.

-Had a family member just didle around on her computer when we were supposed to watch a movie. Ended up throwing my day out of whack waiting for her so I missed a night of working out because of her.

-Same family member started fucking baking cookies another time, again when we were supposed to watch a movie. Again, time wasted again plans thrown out of whack.

-Had a sister make up an excuse she was too sick to see Shin Godzilla with me. Yeah, no you weren't. We had a big fight a year or two ago, unrelated, and she's since been trying to win me over again by seeing Deadpool (another movie she refused to see the first time cause she thought it sounded too vulgar) and ended up LOVING it. Yeah no, you blowing me off over some movies is sign of a bigger problem than just not having something to talk about after not seeing each other for three years.

-Had another family member ask how Shin Godzilla was. Started telling them and realized they weren't even listening when they started talking to themselves about some chores they had to do. Later they asked again, started telling them again, they're actually listening this time then they went "wait are you taking me to see this? You're giving away a lot of spoilers" my response was "I dunno do you want me to?" and they said maybe. I told them it's only in theaters for one week (this was before they extended it to two). Every day I asked "are we going to see this movie" and they respond with "maybe the next day" eventually it got to the point of "I wanna go t Church tonight, maybe tomorrow" and I said "there isn't gonna be a tomorrow, today is the last day" and they act shock saying it's out of theaters that quick and I said "what part of one week only do you not get?", now at the time I knew they confirmed a second week but I wasn't gonna tell them that because I knew if I did they would insist I was exaggerating and never learn their lesson and at that point I was done, I didn't want to be fed anymore false hope from someone who rather go to church (irony much) than see a movie with family member. For the record she ended up going to neither and staying home that night. So on top of having Shin Godzilla spoiled for me, I had to put up with this person giving me false hope. Asshole.

-When I was selling my bed frame a few years ago, Godzilla 2000 was on the TV, lady comes with with her girl who might be like 8. She says she took her girl to see that one. I asked what she thought and her response was "oh I didn't watch it, I just stood in the ally while she watched it." Wait, you stood in the theater for over an hour? I get that this probably wasn't her thing, stereotypes be damned, but you already bought a ticket for both of you, you might as well be cozy and sit instead of standing over an hour. Like I've been dragged to movies I otherwise didn't have an interest seeing and I sat and turned off my brain, not stand for over an hour+. I'll admit, none of my business and I'm being a snob but have you tried standing over an hour? I have, my knees hated me for a week.

Now you can say they just aren't fans and that's a perfectly valid reason, I get that giant monsters is not everyones thing, shocking I know but it's true. but my family isn't fans of say super hero movies either, they'll still plop down and watch it with me if it happens to be on, no fucking drama, no bullshit. They still enjoy them for what it's worth They're much more tolerant of them than kaiju films. I wouldn't even suggest most kaiju films to people who aren't even kaiju fans, which is why it's frustrating when I find a film that I think most people can enjoy without being a fan and get blown off. Funny thing is they say I never wanna watch what they wanna watch even though I have, several times (if I have to watch a faith based movie one more time there is gonna be HELL to pay!)

If it's cause they are foreign films than just say so. I will accept that as an answer. I think they are scared of being seen as racist if they give that answer, but I don't see people as racist for saying that, close minded sure, but not racist. Also a little too late on the racism thing as I already know several people in my life are racists. Oops.

I'm a fan of many things but I can honestly say I have had more frustration as a Godzilla fan than as a fan of any other thing. On top of growing up with no one else liking this stuff, on top of interacting with fans so toxic I can honestly say they are evil and I fucking mean it, they may have never killed anyone but they are fucking evil, on top of being repeatedly dis pointed by a chain of sub-par movies or games, I hate that some people just can't say fucking no like adults instead of yanking my chain. Out of every fanbase I've been a member of, Godzilla is the most lonely.

So, what is the lamest excuse someone has told you to get out of seeing a kaiju movie with you?
Last edited by BlankAccount on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Excuses, Excuses, Excuses - What's the lamest excuse said or done to get out watching a kaiju film with you?

Post by Ivo-goji »

Never asked anyone to watch kaiju films before.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Excuses, Excuses, Excuses - What's the lamest excuse said or done to get out watching a kaiju film with you?

Post by Dr. Professor »

"Let's watch American Pie instead."
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Nothing cray just telling me they are not interested in watching one, which is fine
Last edited by Godzillian on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

No one's really given me any crazy excuses. Just telling me they weren't interested in watching.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Dr. Professor wrote:"Let's watch American Pie instead."
I should elaborate more because it doesn't really sound like an excuse. My buddy and I had plans for like a week to watch Shin Godzilla. Then two days before the day, he goes "Well you've never seen American Pie so we're watching that instead" which didn't even make sense as an excuse because he hadn't seen Shin either.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Huh. Anybody I've ever thought to show a kaiju flick to has been interested in seeing them.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

eabaker wrote:Huh. Anybody I've ever thought to show a kaiju flick to has been interested in seeing them.
Aside from any American kaiju film (of course), only my girlfriend and my brother-in-law have expressed any interest in watching any of them.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Damn dude you seem to take people not wanting to watch movies very personally.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

have you tried standing over an hour?
Oh god I can't even imagine that
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
have you tried standing over an hour?
Oh god I can't even imagine that
Clearly you guys haven't been in a pit at a concert. Or worked retail. :lol:
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:Huh. Anybody I've ever thought to show a kaiju flick to has been interested in seeing them.
You must either only know awesome people, or are just very strategic with who you ask, because this strikes me as incredibly surprising. My entire life I've only ever had three friends who were even remotely interested in seeing one. Kaiju fans have been few and far between, hence me coming onto the internet.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

"Why don't people like the same things as me?": The Forum Topic.

Whenever I asked if somebody wanted to see a kaiju movie and they didn't, that was the end of it. I've forgotten the reasoning because it's not intended as a personal insult or even an important thing to remember.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

TheSecondComing wrote:"Why don't people like the same things as me?": The Forum Topic.

Whenever I asked if somebody wanted to see a kaiju movie and they didn't, that was the end of it. I've forgotten the reasoning because it's not intended as a personal insult or even an important thing to remember.
For me it’s not that I take it as an insult, it just sucks when you have no one to share an interest with.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Smuggers wrote:Damn dude you seem to take people not wanting to watch movies very personally.
I take people not just saying no like an adult personally. Did you even read the bullshit they did?

There's telling me no, and then there's wasting my god damn time.

A guy asked me to take him to see a movie and blew us off to go to a convention without telling us and I only knew cause I called the night before.

Yeah, I'm gonna take that personally.
TheSecondComing wrote:"Why don't people like the same things as me?": The Forum Topic.
Asshole response that didn't even read or understand the opening post: The post.

Thanks for proving my point about this fanbase being toxic.

Added in 9 minutes 30 seconds:
Godzillian wrote:Nothing cray just telling me they are not interested in watching one, which is fine
Maritonic wrote:No one's really given me any crazy excuses. Just telling me they weren't interested in watching.
This topic would never exist if the people I knew had just did that instead of just leading me on for a week or suddenly having a craving for cookies.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
You must either only know awesome people, or are just very strategic with who you ask, because this strikes me as incredibly surprising. My entire life I've only ever had three friends who were even remotely interested in seeing one. Kaiju fans have been few and far between, hence me coming onto the internet.
I'd say it's a little of column A and a little of column B. The kinds of people I befriend tend to be open minded movie fanatics (which has been pretty easy for the last 20 years, from studying film in college and then moving into working in the industry), and I am then selective about which people I suggest these movies to, and which movies I recommend for a given person.

I've had a strikingly high success rate with Godzilla vs. Hedorah, but that definitely relates to the kind of people I hang out with.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Living Corpse wrote:
Asshole response that didn't even read or understand the opening post: The post.

At least it's not as bad as some of them out there.
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

At least it's not as bad as some of them out there.
Give it time.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
I'd say it's a little of column A and a little of column B. The kinds of people I befriend tend to be open minded movie fanatics (which has been pretty easy for the last 20 years, from studying film in college and then moving into working in the industry), and I am then selective about which people I suggest these movies to, and which movies I recommend for a given person.

I've had a strikingly high success rate with Godzilla vs. Hedorah, but that definitely relates to the kind of people I hang out with.
I mean, it's definitely all about who you hang out with and who you try to get to watch the movies.

When Shin came out, my mom expressed interest because she saw how excited I was and knew how happy I was when I came back from the screening. So she wanted to see it when the DVD came out. She also wanted to see G14 because she saw the ads. But, I don't think I'd ever ask her to watch, say, Godzilla vs. Gigan because I know her movie tastes and don't think she'd appreciate it.

I don't think 99% of my friends would appreciate them. But the friends that I have that would appreciate the films? They've watched them with me. Two friends joined my wife and I at the Shin screening, and I screened Destroy All Monsters in my backyard on a projector a couple summers ago with a group of friends.

It's definitely all about being selective and reading people, as you said here.