Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

An interesting observation I made about Godzilla in this film...

A lot of people seem to criticize the 4th form's lack of movement in the film, it's a critiscism I see often among the community but I implore you to rewatch the film after reading this post and see what you think.

While it is true Shin comes off as rather stiff for most of the film, pay special attention to every Godzilla scene that follows the stealth bomber attack. It appears, to me anyway, that Godzilla not only evolves his classic special ability in this scene, but he also evolves to move a lot quicker and react to what's actually going on around him, instead of moving like a giant wind-up toy. From the moment he uses his breath, he begins wildly whipping his head around to discharge his ray in all sorts of directions, and when he runs out of energy, he moves noticeably faster, waddling forward before finally shutting down. And when he's awakened by the trains during the film's climax and proceeds to fight the drones, he moves considerably faster and more agile than any scene before it.

Just something interesting I've noticed with multiple viewings of the film, I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone as of yet so I thought I'd share with you guys.

What's your opinions?
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun May 27, 2018 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I think up until that moment nothing the JSDF threw at him was remotely threatening, so there was no reason to adjust.

It's also a choice made probably to emphasize his god-like status over human beings. For Godzilla, there is no need to hurry.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched shin Godzilla for like the 15th time yesterday, and the film continues to be a masterpiece. You could remove Godzilla from the equation, and it would still be an amazing satire of Japanese culture and politics

I watched the eng dub however, and was disappointed. While the eng dub was decently good at conveying some of the satirious moments and messages, it also redubs moments of Ann Patterson speaking English.

I know Ann Patterson/her actress speaking English is sorta an easy target for people here, but honestly that’s your own immaturity. I recently started teaching English, and many of my friends are second language learners, and they talk exactly like Ann Patterson, in fact many cases worse. So you degrading the movie, or making fun of her is straight up wrong.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Jomei wrote:I think up until that moment nothing the JSDF threw at him was remotely threatening, so there was no reason to adjust.

It's also a choice made probably to emphasize his god-like status over human beings. For Godzilla, there is no need to hurry.
JoBoi gets it :lol:
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I really like that small moment when Patterson is showing that dna map to Rando's group she leans over and kind of pushes Hiromi aside. Then Rando moves closer and Hiromi just moves aside as though expecting it. Is there a name for that hairstyle Hiromi has anyway? I'm bad describing hair in writing.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: I know Ann Patterson/her actress speaking English is sorta an easy target for people here, but honestly that’s your own immaturity. I recently started teaching English, and many of my friends are second language learners, and they talk exactly like Ann Patterson, in fact many cases worse. So you degrading the movie, or making fun of her is straight up wrong.
A. So I guess I'm immature huh?
B. Explain to me how her broken English can degrade the entire movie.
C. I wasn't making fun of her lad. I simply didn't like her chracter.
D. Personally, my only complaint with her English wasn't cause it was bad but because there was no need for it. Yeah in some scenes she's with her American buddies so it's ok there. But then there's scenes when she's with the main group who ALL SPEAK JAPANESE and you have her letting some English phrases out even speaking entire sentences with them. She also did with the Prime Minister who from what I remember doesn't speak English. Me and my bro were thinking, "Why doesn't she just talk to them normally? Did she forgot who to speak Japanese or something?"
Just wanted to give my opinion.

Added in 3 minutes 30 seconds:
daveblackeye15 wrote:I really like that small moment when Patterson is showing that dna map to Rando's group she leans over and kind of pushes Hiromi aside. Then Rando moves closer and Hiromi just moves aside as though expecting it.
I thought she was kinda being rude. I mean imagine some showing off bitch come and invade your personal space while you're busy doing work? I'd be pissed.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I know Ann Patterson/her actress speaking English is sorta an easy target for people here, but honestly that’s your own immaturity. I recently started teaching English, and many of my friends are second language learners, and they talk exactly like Ann Patterson, in fact many cases worse. So you degrading the movie, or making fun of her is straight up wrong.
But she's supposed to be a native second-generation English-speaking American, so far as we can tell. It's not that her English is 'laughably bad'- I mean, learning a second language is hard. But it is laughably mismatched to the background of her character. I don't think it's immature to recognize that casting an actress who can't speak English naturally as a character who has every reason to speak English naturally is... incongruous, and perhaps absurdly so. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GojiDude95 wrote: A. So I guess I'm immature huh?
B. Explain to me how her broken English can degrade the entire movie.
C. I wasn't making fun of her lad. I simply didn't like her chracter.
D. Personally, my only complaint with her English wasn't cause it was bad but because there was no need for it. Yeah in some scenes she's with her American buddies so it's ok there. But then there's scenes when she's with the main group who ALL SPEAK JAPANESE and you have her letting some English phrases out even speaking entire sentences with them. She also did with the Prime Minister who from what I remember doesn't speak English. Me and my bro were thinking, "Why doesn't she just talk to them normally? Did she forgot who to speak Japanese or something?"
Wasn’t really calling you out specifically. I’ve seen the film a few times with friends and a lot of them do make fun of her speaking. And yeah, when the film came out it was a big point of contention.

Added in 3 minutes 30 seconds:
daveblackeye15 wrote:I really like that small moment when Patterson is showing that dna map to Rando's group she leans over and kind of pushes Hiromi aside. Then Rando moves closer and Hiromi just moves aside as though expecting it.
I thought she was kinda being rude. I mean imagine some showing off skreeonk come and invade your personal space while you're busy doing work? I'd be pissed.[/quote]

Ann Patterson, like everyone else, is a satirious character. Davidblackeye15 hit it on the head, that she’s intentionally rude and pushy, and that’s what America and foreign powers are being portrayed as in the film. The scene where she pushes Hiromi aside is 100% intentional, and genius filmmaking. Shin continuously has scenes like that, which make the humans some of the best in the Godzilla franchise.

In addition, her speaking English isn’t some weird way to appeal to westerners or anything, it’s a complete satire of white westerners, or majority English speaking countries, expecting everyone to speak English, or the use of English as a power language. It’s sorta hard to explain, but I’ve seen this dynamic a lot as someone who is teaching English to people. As an aside, while yeah the actors English had a thick accent, none of it was grammatically incorrect, and as a result there is no reason that she would not be able to have her status, especially because her father is some sort of senator. It may seem contrived, but there are certainly political families in United States politics(Clinton’s, Bush, Kennedy’s etc...). I actually wouldn’t like Ann Patterson as a person if I met her, but as a character in a film she’s perfect.

I think shin is a perfect film because it’s devoid of filler. Yes, the film sorta drags after the second Godzilla landfall, but there isn’t a single wasted shot. Each scene pushes forward the plot, or characterizes or represents the satire more. It’s why I’ve continually enjoyed the movie after so many viewings is because I realize how great and subtle a lot of the satire is.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I watched shin Godzilla for like the 15th time yesterday, and the film continues to be a masterpiece. You could remove Godzilla from the equation, and it would still be an amazing satire of Japanese culture and politics

I watched the eng dub however, and was disappointed. While the eng dub was decently good at conveying some of the satirious moments and messages, it also redubs moments of Ann Patterson speaking English.

I know Ann Patterson/her actress speaking English is sorta an easy target for people here, but honestly that’s your own immaturity. I recently started teaching English, and many of my friends are second language learners, and they talk exactly like Ann Patterson, in fact many cases worse. So you degrading the movie, or making fun of her is straight up wrong.
1000% agree with this post and your next one. I thought Ann Patterson was a pretty good character, the fact that Satomi went the full length to learn some English (I thought she did great) really shows how great of an actress she is.

I rewatched this the other day and to be honest, I was way more interested in the human cast than anything else, if by some chance a sequel does happen, I will be looking forward to seeing them above anything else.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I find it hilarious that there are some people who actually think Shin was a suit.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I find it hilarious that there are some people who actually think Shin was a suit.
That wasn't a suit?!
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

OneMillionTomsBC
GPN Volunteer

Post by OneMillionTomsBC »

I still find everything about the film extremely fascinating. Everything is layered with detail, from the music score down to the deleted scenes and the book of concept art. Everything about it is just chilling and unsettling to me. It's still the one Godzilla movie I've thought about the most and continues to amaze me every time I revisit. There won't ever be another film like this.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I find it hilarious that there are some people who actually think Shin was a suit.
Some people to this day are swearing that that giant puppet they made was used in scenes despite Toho and all the people working on the film saying it went unused

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

There were many who couldn't tell if Shin from one of the first trailers was CGI or practical or some kind of mix. Still looks remarkably good.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah it’s made more confusing that there is a suit/puppet, that Toho did show off officially after the film’s release. I saw it at the big Godzilla exhibition that they had in the Nagoya Art Museum last summer in japan. In addition, the film isn’t just visual computer effects, but does have some practical miniatures and practical effects work done in film. And IIRC isn’t the final shot actually a statue? At least the part of the tail. With these this+the fact that SOME of the CGI is amazingly detailed it doesn’t surprise me.
OneMillionTomsBC wrote:I still find everything about the film extremely fascinating. Everything is layered with detail, from the music score down to the deleted scenes and the book of concept art. Everything about it is just chilling and unsettling to me. It's still the one Godzilla movie I've thought about the most and continues to amaze me every time I revisit. There won't ever be another film like this.
Yeah, one thing I really like is how even though we have a really rough idea what Shin is, it’s still a blizzare mystery and downright horrifying. Even the meta, all the concept art and stuff makes the film more interesting.

I think seeing it in theaters 3x is probably gonna be one of my most treasured moments as a Godzilla fan. I saw it in the NYC premiere (or at least one of the earliest showings) and I was surrounded by a lot of Godzilla fans and there was definitely this crazy euphoric fun. Yet despite that, I still can watch it every few months and I’m getting more out of it each time.

Also, I still just wanna praise how great the climax film is. Even though there isn’t another monster, the climax due to its back and forth nature, and variety (trains, drones, artillery, cranes) with the amount of tension added, I can’t but feel it’s way more entertaining than some of the more lackluster films final confrontations.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneMillionTomsBC
GPN Volunteer

Post by OneMillionTomsBC »

It's the origin and general ideology and speculation of what this Godzilla really is that I find so fascinating. The stuff about Goro Maki and how this thing was a supposed conglomeration of life mutated as a result of feeding on nuclear waste which gave it the ability to grow and change forms as it gained more power, but it didn't come ashore until Maki fed himself to it, possibly absorbing Maki's genetics and instincts and became an unstoppable supernatural force, for it to be driven like an unconscious (or conscious) zombie making its way back to the only memory it knows by instinct...and for it to be able to evolve into human form (or several human forms) at the end, maybe as a way to reason with or adapt to the human threat as it became more conscious... to me, it's chilling to think about what it might really be and it definitely captured my imagination as a modern horror story.
Last edited by OneMillionTomsBC on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

GigaBowserG wrote:
There were many who couldn't tell if Shin from one of the first trailers was CGI or practical or some kind of mix. Still looks remarkably good.
I'll admit, I was among those fooled into thinking it was at least partially suit, but yeah, that really speaks to the quality of a lot of the CGI in this movie. It succeeds where a lot of CGI creatures in Hollywood fail due to aggressively over-animating the hell out of every minor detail and movement, but more often than not that only helps to expose how fake it is. It's all like "wow, that looks impressively detailed and probably took thousands of dollars and man hours to make but does it look real? Nah".

But then you have a creature like Shin, who's movements are slower and more deliberate during his initial 'rampage' with only gentle, subtle movements of its upper body that combined with its design, make it look profoundly menacing and realistic.
Monsters are the real people.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Eh when Shin was moving quicker the CGI was a little dodgy. Mostly the bit just as he walks right before falling asleep or how he spun a little quickly when he spat from his mouth the second time.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Xplus is releasing a roaring version of the standard Gigantic Shin and I'm totally annoyed. I totally would have bought that over the original version!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Eh when Shin was moving quicker the CGI was a little dodgy. Mostly the bit just as he walks right before falling asleep or how he spun a little quickly when he spat from his mouth the second time.
Key words "a lot" and not "all". Yeah, one of the two problems I had with this movie were that the special effects were very hit-and-miss.
Monsters are the real people.