Monster Discussion #71: Kiryu

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
UltramanGoji

Monster Discussion #71: Kiryu

Post by UltramanGoji »

This is the discussion thread for the third version of Mechagodzilla, known primarily as Kiryu.

For those not in the know...
Kiryu made his first appearance in 2003's Godzilla X Mechagodzilla and a subsequent appearance in the film's sequel Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. It was also featured in all three of the Pipeworks Godzilla games and in the recent PS3/PS4 Godzilla game as an unlockable character.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion #71: Kiryu

Post by Space Hunter M »

UltramanGoji wrote:known primarily as Kiryu.
*Keeyu

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Space Hunter M wrote:
*Keeyu

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Space Hunter M wrote:
*Keeyu
*triggered

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:
*Keeyu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTRk_NvZMs
MEMORABLE. The dub has a lot of gold like that. :P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Dannybeane wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:
*Keeyu
*triggered
*Rage
Godzilla

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Space Hunter M wrote:
*Keeyu
*Keeroo
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Kiryu is definitely a cool character and a big step up from Heisei Mechagodzilla. Too bad the film itself was so disappointing. Still need to see Tokyo SOS however.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Space Hunter M wrote:
*Keeyu
*Mecha G

I like the design, though when I remember it's supposed to be robo-Godzilla 1954 and can say things like "Sayonara"... :freak: Kinda dumb to me. Never really felt an attachment to this machine in the movies. Looks cool in action at least.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

The design is pretty rad, especially Ol One-Eye from Tokyo SOS (reminds me of Mad-Eye from Harry Potter a bit now that I think about it).

Let's face it: the drill hand was badass. Kiryu is simply awesome. Great design, great roar, great name. 10/10 in my book.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I love the design as well. The head has an elegant look, and it's a good fighter. This robot takes me back to the Showa version when I see it standing there and unleashing a barrage of rockets and beams at Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Fishheads88
Yojimbo

Post by Fishheads88 »

He is my favorite out of all the robots in the series. I mean he looks boss and shoots a freeze gun that actually stoped Godzilla .

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

He's pretty obviously my favorite incarnation of Mechagodzilla. I like how the films also stress energy usage. Brings in more realism.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Kiryu is a combination of a bunch of neat ideas. Built over the original Godzilla, limited power supply, it's own artificial intelligence. On top of that it has a sweet design and an arsenal of really cool attacks and abilities. One of my favorite Millennium era creatures!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Interesting that Kiryu may be the first Mechagodzilla to have three film appearances since he supposedly is in Ready Player One. Or do we only count appearances in actual Godzilla films?
Anime MG may also be in a total of three films since he probably is going to appear in the third anime film in some capacity.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

I just noticed that the Shoulder Cannons in Tokyo SOS aren't a simple recolor of the ones in the previous movie but have an all new design.

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

Something I've wondered about and may have missed in the movies; What IS Kiryu, exactly?

I know he's a cyborg, but are their any sources that say how organic he is? He's got an organic skeleton. And I remember something about a DNA computer/AI? Does he have a semi-organic brain? Does he have organic muscle tissue? Is he a clone of the original Godzilla and of so, how much?
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Camdigidy wrote:Something I've wondered about and may have missed in the movies; What IS Kiryu, exactly?

I know he's a cyborg, but are their any sources that say how organic he is? He's got an organic skeleton. And I remember something about a DNA computer/AI? Does he have a semi-organic brain? Does he have organic muscle tissue? Is he a clone of the original Godzilla and of so, how much?
I'd be comfortable calling him/it a cyborg. Like the Terminator, with the human flesh grown, cultivated on the outside of the endoskeleton. But instead, the organically grown, engineered bio-circuits, wetware that run the mech would also qualify Kiryu as cyborg. Since the machine is a combination of organic ,and tech. Throw in the skeleton of G-54 as a frame to build the mech around, would also back up my thinking as Kiryu being a cyborg. Kiryu's bioware reminds me of what Doctor Mafune thought in vying the perfect robot monster would involve having to use living braincells. Dr. Tokimitsu Yahara's own research which lead to the biocomputer that runs the mech seems to be putting Mafune's theory into reality.

Kiryu seems to be the best of both worlds of Mecha-G'74/75, and MechaG-'93. Human created and controlled like the Heisei. Capable of fighting Godzilla head to head, hand to hand like the original model. Not mention a walking weapons platform. But more of the precision of the Heisei, unlike the original, who was created for total warfare, mass destruction. Also Kiryu's sharp edges, pointy fins and what not. Likewise remind me of the classic. Pretty impressive foe for the Big-G. Wouldn't have minded had the Kiryu Saga had continued, and see how he, or the next model would've fared against other kaiju in subsequent movies.

Anywho, Screw Attacks ! DEATH BATTLE, just post their latest throw down. And it features from THE MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWER RANGERS' Dragonzord. Engaging in metal on metal violence with none other than...KIRYU.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

CyberZilla wrote:The design is pretty rad, especially Ol One-Eye from Tokyo SOS (reminds me of Mad-Eye from Harry Potter a bit now that I think about it).

Let's face it: the drill hand was badass. Kiryu is simply awesome. Great design, great roar, great name. 10/10 in my book.
That Drill Hand is to Kiryu what Gorosaurs is to DAM, overlooked but the key player in helping defeat a seemingly unstoppable foe.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

What an odd comparison to make, especially when Gorosaurus certainly isn't overlooked in DAM.
Not quite as odd as quoting a user no longer on here from 2016 though :lol:

As for Kiryu, I think his movies would have been better suited as anime, I don't think live-action conveys him properly.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*