The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by eabaker »

GalacticPetey wrote:Eh, I'd rather a simpler backstory so we don't have to spend time dwelling on it in the film. It's why I like the idea of him just being alien. Boom, all the backstory you need.
Agreed. Unless some more elaborate origin is essential to the movie's story/themes, I'd rather they avoid needless contrivances and just get on with things.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Yeah, if they want to go into more detail regarding King Ghidorah's origins, I think it would be best to put all of that in a novel or a comic or something. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the lore and history of everything within a particular setting being explored in great detail, but not at the expense of the film itself and/or the audience's enjoyment.

Like, Star Wars has a ton of supplementary lore regarding literally everything in that universe, and I love that, but the films themselves only talk about what's relevant to the needs of the story, y'know?

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Yeah, I'm reminded of how everyone was clamoring for Snoke's backstory to be told in The Last Jedi and were upset when we didn't get a five minute exposition dump on where he came from. It isn't needed and only would have served to hamper the film. We didn't have the Emperor's backstory in Return of the Jedi, nor an explanation as to how he could shoot lightning, but neither of those things took away from the film.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

^Agree with all of the above, but the obvious caveat here is that I'm open to more exposition on Ghidorah's background if it advances the plot.. (Xiliens??)

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Yo, if Warner Bros could issue a re-release of Godzilla (2014) in this quality and non darkness, that'd be super

And god damn, this movie's climax is awesome! :tearsofjoy:

Last edited by Moogabunga on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

A 4K release in inevitability that coupled with HDR should make the darker scenes more visible. I'm not buying it regardless but it would help correct some of the woes of the previous Bluray release.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Oof, I hope a better quality copy isn'd 4KUHD exclusive. I'd rather not have to buy a brand new player/TV just to see this film like it should've been released as.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Hey did the DVD look as bad as the Bluray?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Hey did the DVD look as bad as the Bluray?
As someone who has both - yes. But it isn't so noticeable on my 55 inch TV or color settings, but they are both too dark.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Hey did the DVD look as bad as the Bluray?
I think the DVD looks perfectly fine.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

As someone who recently upgrade to a HDR/Dolby Vision TV I'd gladly welcome that release.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

An 4K release around the time KotM comes out is pretty likely I'd say.

Added in 8 hours 11 minutes 14 seconds:
The countdown keeps coming, 4 weeks till SDCC. I'm pretty interested in what the poster will look like.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Moogabunga wrote:Yo, if Warner Bros could issue a re-release of Godzilla (2014) in this quality and non darkness, that'd be super

And god damn, this movie's climax is awesome! :tearsofjoy:

Outputting to 4K from a 1080p source doesn't make it 4k-just makes it a clickbait link. :)
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Oh man I can imagine the vitriol towards Warner and Dougherty if they don't reveal/show something at Comic Con. The amount of butthurt is palpable.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

To be fair, it'd be a little understandable. Movie's really far in post-production so far, and even if they don't show a trailer, why also not choose to show a poster or some concept art?

The fandom's been waiting a long time for the slightest glimpse of a poster/teaser trailer, so even by a pure marketing notion, not showing anything about KOTM at Comic Con would be a moronic decision.
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Oh we'll get something. There's no reason not to at least.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

If we didn't get something I'd be disappointed. But I'd move on quick. I think some people here will have a full on meltdown
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

The floodgates will be opened, yes. :lol:
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

SDCC schedules will start being announced next week according Gormaru Island. So we'll start getting info on what panels and whatnot pretty soon.

Added in 3 days 2 hours 6 minutes 16 seconds:
With rumors of Rodan being on fire I think it would be kinda interesting if Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah each represent a different element. Mothra representing wind, Rodan representing fire, and Ghidorah representing electricity or something to that effect. Not even narratively but just like visual cues and stuff. I can forgive a non alien Ghidorah if he's got some mystical or religious elements thrown in. I just want Ghidorah's mere existence to be a mystery.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:SDCC schedules will start being announced next week according Gormaru Island. So we'll start getting info on what panels and whatnot pretty soon.

Added in 3 days 2 hours 6 minutes 16 seconds:
With rumors of Rodan being on fire I think it would be kinda interesting if Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah each represent a different element. Mothra representing wind, Rodan representing fire, and Ghidorah representing electricity or something to that effect. Not even narratively but just like visual cues and stuff. I can forgive a non alien Ghidorah if he's got some mystical or religious elements thrown in. I just want Ghidorah's mere existence to be a mystery.
^I had a similar idea re: the elements thing and everybody roasted me, lol. I still don't hate it though, but I think Mothra is going to be more poison-oriented, which would be consistent with its Showa roots.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.