World Of Godzilla: Who Do You Want To See?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: World Of Godzilla: Who Do You Want To See?

Post by szmigiel »

This is the way I see it

Big Four: These are Toho's favorite to feature and have the big draw at the box office. Biggest chance to have a true solo film where they are the only kaiju, or be the top billed in the a versus film.
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla

Heavy Hitters: These are major opponents for Godzilla or possibly Godzilla plus an ally or two.
Hedorah, Biollante, SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah, Ogra

Mid Carder: Might not get a solo film, but could star in a versus film without Godzilla.
Anguirus, Baragon, Battra, Gigan, Rodan, Jet Jaguar, Megaguirus, Megalon, Manda, Godzilla Jr /Minya, Kumonga, King Caesar, Moguera, Titanosaurus, Varan

Jobbers: Probably will only get cameo appearances in other movies but never be part of the top bill, aka have their names appear as part of the title.
Ebirah, Dagahra, Ganimes, Gezora, Gorosaurus, Kamacuras, Kamoebas, Maguma, Oodako, Giant Condor, Gargantua, Zilla

Unknown / Probably never see
Dogora, Monster X / Keizer Ghidorah, Desghidorah, Gabara, Mecha-King Ghidorah, Mecha-Kong

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I honestly think it’s only fair that composer Kaoru Wada does the music for a Godzilla film one day since he was a pupil of Ifukube. This upcoming set of films will be an excellent opurtunity for such a thing to happen.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I think this will be an unpopular opinion, but if Toho were to actually build a universe (and for now I'll go with Godzilla World Series) for their kaiju and possibly other genre productions, I would actually like to have something more like the Showa series than a Hollywood style universe where everything is very directly connected. I think it's beneficial for the creative nature of each character and movie series to have its own style and ability to be individual enough to stay creative rather than being limited in numerous ways to the extent that it has to essentially be a sequel within a universe than its own thing. I think this was detrimental to the Dark Universe as it was less a movie about The Mummy than it was a Dark Universe movie. It should be great when the movies begin to merge in a big crossover like a DAM/GFW brawl or even at a smaller level like GTSOS.

I think there are particular monsters that should be thought of key to building and advancing the universe. Godzilla is obvious, but I do hope they skip doing an origin movie as we've already had a pair of them this century. In fact, I would actually rather they do something like Godzilla 2000 where Godzilla is already established. Godzilla is versatile and a Heisei style Godzilla that is a sometimes neutral, sometimes anti-hero type monster is the best for the character in this new series. Mothra is the next most obvious monster, which would build the universe from a supernatural angle and traditional Mothra themes like the environment. Actually, if we got Bagan I would kind of rather have them bring back the Mothra vs Bagan idea than a Godzilla vs Bagan idea. Godzilla already has plenty of hugely powerful rivals and Mothra would benefit from her own library of opponents. Although ZF never actually got a movie, the unique humanoid hero angle would make for something different from the more traditional monsters.

Bringing back movies that ended up never getting made would also help the series avoid seeming like a remake of what's already been done (another Godzilla vs Mothra, another Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, another Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla). So pick what you will, but "Biomonster", Ghost Godzilla, M, that stuff alongside the more common monster battles really makes it something new, while being traditional at the same time. As for the lesser known monsters, multi-monster movies like Yog would probably be needed to get people to go the theaters. Sadly, the days have past that people would go to a Dogora movie, unless they do something really different from the original. I don't really care that much for Toho to bring in elements of what's not already Toho's, so no Gamera or whatever. Well, having Ultraman as a guest might be cool given the connection between Toho and Tsuburaya, but other than that, probably not.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tohosaurus wrote:I think this will be an unpopular opinion, but if Toho were to actually build a universe (and for now I'll go with Godzilla World Series) for their kaiju and possibly other genre productions, I would actually like to have something more like the Showa series than a Hollywood style universe where everything is very directly connected.
Unpopular or not, I'm 100% on the same page here.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:I think this will be an unpopular opinion, but if Toho were to actually build a universe (and for now I'll go with Godzilla World Series) for their kaiju and possibly other genre productions, I would actually like to have something more like the Showa series than a Hollywood style universe where everything is very directly connected.
Unpopular or not, I'm 100% on the same page here.
I’d say there’s a good chance the Japanese will take their own, unique approach to the concept.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I'm gonna approach this somewhat like szmigiel did.

Toho seems open to trying new things which is great but I think it's good to look at what they've done in the past. From 1991 to 2004 the only other major kaiju/tokusatsu films they did outside Godzilla were Yamato Takeru (a take on The Three Treasures) and the ROM trilogy (Mothra being #2 after Godzilla). Other than that there's the Attack on Titan films, based on an established anime/manga.

Showa monsters are definitely the most recognizable, and we can practically guarantee appearances by Mothra, King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla, Rodan, and even Baby/Proto Godzillas. All have appeared in the 3 major eras of Godzilla, Legendary picked up Mothra, Ghidorah and Rodan, the anime has its version of Mecha-G, Mothra and Ghidorah. They're the Big 5 for a reason, and I can see Mothra being given her own film again.

But outside of Godzilla and Mothra it's hard to wrap by brain around solo films for other monsters because most if not all of them were made to support Godzilla, who's way more popular than any of them and the real draw for audiences.

Mid-tier names for me would be Gigan, Hedorah, Baragon, Anguirus, Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Manda, King Caesar. Baragon managed to stay in GMK while Anguirus and Varan were thrown out, and the rest were included in Final Wars. Bottom tier would be Giant Octopus, Giant Condor, Gorosaurus, Varan, Gabara, Megalon, Jet Jaguar, Titanosaurus.

I don't know how much we can count the cameos in Final Wars (Varan, Baragon, Gaira, Gezora, Titanosaurus, Megaguirus) and Planet of the Monsters (Kamacuras, Dogora, Dagahra, Orga) but I've learned to never say never with this franchise. Maybe none of this matters and they'll truly go nuts handing out films but it's good to keep in mind what they usually resort to.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Since we are getting both Ghidorah an in the Monster Planet-verse AND Monsterverse, I hope we don't shoehorn him right away in this upcoming film series.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

tbeasley wrote: Mid-tier names for me would be Gigan, Hedorah, Baragon, Anguirus, Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Manda, King Caesar.
If they built a big theme and interesting enough movie, I actually think a Hedorah movie could be made and do well enough. Even having it go for something of a horror angle to it as well would make it unique from most monster movies - possibly without it ever being in a versus movie with a hero monster. The smog monster has a thematic weight to it that is unlike many other giant monsters. Biollante is very simiar in this way, and Biollante's Godzilla roots would actually give them a way to connect it to the Godzilla World Series without having to make it the kind of direct sequel or versus movie that I would hope they don't do. I had an idea about having a big intergalactic monster adventure. Xiliens or whoever have made Gigan and control King Ghidorah, but when Spacegodzilla is made in space and makes its way to their planet, quite a battle. It still essentially has the Godzilla marketability of it with Spacegodzilla but it's different enough and on other planets that the movie would be so different from the monster movies set on Earth.

We all like them, but Anguirus, Varan, and Baragon by their nature are supporting monsters.
고질라

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Tbh even though it'll be at least 3 years until the first movie releases I think I'm more excited for this series than anything coming from the MonsterVerse at the moment. We know that Toho is now a lot more open-minded with Godzilla and literally in this franchise could happen now.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

Justice for Hedorah. He has the potential to be perhaps the ultimate Kaiju and probably the most terrifying. And with multiple Hedorahs, theres never a gaurantee you can completely get rid of him. A Hedorah that learns and evolves would be nearly unstoppable. Imagine he is beaten in a similar way as in GvsH but as he's dying cries out to the collective and they in tern adapt to deal with electricity or even become immune to it all together.
I also want to see King Ghidorah portrayed as the scourge of the galaxy that he was always meant to be and I think we actually have a good chance of seeing it. He MUST be a space kaiju though. I personally dislike Heisei Ghidorah simply for not being the "real" KG in my opinion, that and his ridiculous rodan rip-off roar. I want to see new Kaijus along with old ones from all eras. Don't run them into the ground. Have one film with say Gigan, then have Biollante in the next followed by Orga. I'd like to see elements of Showa, Heisei and Millennium all rolled into one but it needs to not get too goofy and stay on a serious note. And as I've already said, more than one Godzilla (not including junior, minilla or some other baby G).
Dedicated To Darkness..

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I hope this new continuity waits a while before shoehorning in Mothra and Ghidorah.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Tohosaurus wrote:
tbeasley wrote: Mid-tier names for me would be Gigan, Hedorah, Baragon, Anguirus, Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Manda, King Caesar.
If they built a big theme and interesting enough movie, I actually think a Hedorah movie could be made and do well enough. Even having it go for something of a horror angle to it as well would make it unique from most monster movies - possibly without it ever being in a versus movie with a hero monster. The smog monster has a thematic weight to it that is unlike many other giant monsters. Biollante is very simiar in this way, and Biollante's Godzilla roots would actually give them a way to connect it to the Godzilla World Series without having to make it the kind of direct sequel or versus movie that I would hope they don't do. I had an idea about having a big intergalactic monster adventure. Xiliens or whoever have made Gigan and control King Ghidorah, but when Spacegodzilla is made in space and makes its way to their planet, quite a battle. It still essentially has the Godzilla marketability of it with Spacegodzilla but it's different enough and on other planets that the movie would be so different from the monster movies set on Earth.

We all like them, but Anguirus, Varan, and Baragon by their nature are supporting monsters.
Even if it wasn't all that good, the fact Varan had a solo movie to begin with shows that a solo movie for a supporting monster could at least work in theory.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Any of the supporting monsters could star in their own films if the scripts are good enough.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I could see them maybe giving films to monsters that had their own films before - Definitely Mothra, Rodan, maybe the Gargantuas but names like Varan, Dogora and the Space Amoeba monsters seem like harder sells. And then there's revisiting their older films that happened to have monsters in them but weren't the main attraction - The Mysterians (Moguera), Three Treasures/Yamato Takeru (Orochi), Gorath (Maguma), Atragon (Manda). Something with the Gotengo would be pretty cool.
Last edited by tbeasley on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Gerdzerl wrote: Even if it wasn't all that good, the fact Varan had a solo movie to begin with shows that a solo movie for a supporting monster could at least work in theory.
I think it's more a thing of the Showa days. Unless they modified these monsters heavily (which they could), it would be less popular and effective today.
고질라

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

So the 'World of Godzilla" is kinda like IDW's GODZILLA: LEGENDS? Cool.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:^ Because this kid isn't telling us anything we don't already know? Because like all of his shit-videos, he's just stating the obvious?
Isn't that what other sites and channels do? Stating news?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I think Toho will probably market toward China and other countries in the area, personally I think something along this approach should be followed:

First film:

Godzilla Origins:

Setting, 2022: Opens with a fishing boat running alongside what is believed to a massive outcropping at night. The men get sick and notice strange, but vicious plants and redesigned giant sea lice, they try to escape and the outcropping moves, destroying their boat with one survivor escaping. Follows a young cyber journalist who is trying to get his work recognized, but is stuck doing the trash speculative conspiracy stuff just to burn money. His friend is an accomplished hacker and they both find out about the incident at sea(due to a rash of them lately) and discover a survivor at a specific hospital. The find out he’s guarded and do some very sneaky cloak and dagger techniques to get to him and they interview him before he dies, because agents storm the room and accidently kill him. Cut to a plane in midair that is attacked by something. The two are taken into custody and the journalist is grilled on several articles that follow a specific timeline and repeatedly he’s grilled on the topics of “sea monsters”, “the Japanese and usa joint military exercise disaster that occurred in 1995”, and a population of bats on a small Japanese island that went extinct due to radioactive waste dumping, and now the ship and plane disappearances around the Pacific. He is then enlightened, also due to his brilliant mind, about Godzilla. Godzilla is a mutant creature that’s kind lived in the Pacific especially near Odo island and is believed to be a semi-aquatic species of dinosaur that survived the extinction by hiding underwater and scavenging bodies on land and sea. They became radiological in origin due to the great asteroid impact kicking up radioactive debris and after millions of years survived and grew in the islands off the coast of Japan and surrounding areas. The Bikini Atoll incident seems to have mutated it into an 80 meter tall creature and was witnessed coming close to Tokyo Bay in 1954 during a storm, but turning back. The US and JSDF studied Godzilla and within 1984, got exceedingly close to Japanese waters and devoured at least a soviet and USA sub respectively. The Soviets were let in on what happened and they also revealed that during the early 80’s in a central Asian soviet republic two mutant ankylosaurs rampaged around and were brought down with a nuclear missile. The 1995 incident was involving Operation Poseidon and a nuclear warhead was used and Godzilla was presumed dead. They go and show pictures of a non-mutant version of Godzilla’s kind washing up on a beach in Borneo and it’s 15 meters long. Turns out the govts figured out in 2014 Godzilla still lived and mutated further increasing in size (110 meters), but kept mum about it. At the moment the issue is that a recent earthquake and stirred Godzilla and something else. Enter: Bat kaiju(need a name), it belongs to the species that became extinct on the island and is attacking aircraft to hunt, Godzilla is also seeming to get brave with humans because its nearing human settlements. The two protagonists are being held, while the room becomes a stir because Godzilla has now, in another city, made landfall he ignores the vehicles and weapons as he raws closer to a nuclear power plant. Then he decides to fight back due to increasing agitation, but yes his blue plasma ray is replaced with a purple equivalent(hear me out on this). He uses it and his tail to make short work of the military before returning to the sea. But before he gets to the sea, he is attacked by bunker busters and the airforce and yes he recreates that energy beam scene from shin, but with greater detail to the damage and energy he expounds. The journalist uses this as a way of escaping, but not saving his friend. Eventually bat kaiju attacks Narita airport and uses its super sonic powers to cloak it, create a concentrated sound wave to destroy things and disorient, plus regenerating tail spikes. A plot is deduced due to international pressure of killing the now public creatures and a plan to lure Godzilla toward the bat creature with a drone aircraft carrying radioactive waste is hatched. The navy puts up a fight against Godzilla before the plan is executed and eventually they begin to lure him. The journalist meets with a former CIA agent and hacker M-11(played by Robert Scott) and environmental activist(played by some actress) to try to save is friend as hey are in total awe of what is going on. Hacker friend is moved to a secured hotel in Tokyo and Godzilla veers off course and arrives in the city and the bat kaiju arrives in tandem. They battle, showing each other’s powers. Ie: bat’s speed and sonic abilities and vibrating fags plus spikes fired from tail, but Godzilla weakens batty and uses a concentrated blue ray TWICE to kill it. The commotion caused helps the journalist save his friend and they escape, but are forced to leave Japan as Godzilla now makes his way out to sea, but is struck by a nuclear missile half way out of the harbor. Picks up months later and the two are in South America watching the news and muse that no country is taking responsibility for the missile launch though it seems it was either the US or Russia and somehow all the radiation had dissipated. Godzilla has not been seen and the friends begin working on a book to tell their story, while in the North Pacific Godzilla is seen again, swimming past a Russian fishing trawler.

Why this and design: Because it combines classic elements and it’s a political thriller, good to set up a GODZILLA series. Design of Godzilla: I think as homage it should look like a skinnier Heisei Godzilla similar to GFW Godzilla with thunder thighs. He’d have a tail almost as long as shin’s with a dorsal-fin like blade close to the end and have shin’s classic dorsal fins but in the center larger, more jagged fins. Heisei and GFW Gojiesque head with maybe some Mosu Goji elements. Yes Shin’s pruple color with Heisei’s beam appearance and the blue beam being more concentrated but not totally similar to Shin’s beam. This way it connects so many generations together for the fans.

Mothra: Bagan’s Awakening

Pretty much the 1990 Mothra vs bagn plan with Bgan being more of a fallen earth guardian elemental beast. Gabara would show up in the jungles and battle larva Mothra and be a spawn of bagan. Good way to introduce a fantasy aspect to the series.

Godzilla vs Deathla:

Have a new kaiju with hints to the old and play on Chinese markets with giving a new visually unique G foe. Have Maguma show up in the beginning as fodder and have the final battle between Godzilla and Deathla be in Shanghai.

Anguiras: Lone Guardian

Two kaiju start rampaging around Southern Japan, they are Baragon and Varan. The two have a symbiotic relationship as Varan is smarter and has better eye sight than Baragon and has senses in the electromagnetic spectrum while Baragon is primarily the muscle and they attack cities to feed. The military is helpless against Baragon and his tunneling and Varan and his toxic venom(yes I went there). Meanwhile in Russia a young mutant ankylosaur is discovered by a think tank and moved to japan. A plan is forumalted to get this creature to fight the two kaiju using a young psychic girl who is branded a mutant and hated by her family and implanting chips into her brain and the same in the creature’s. They use radiation treatments and recombinant Godzilla DNA to mutate him into Anguiras. He’s let loose to fight the two monsters but the battle is a draw due to problems coordinating. The project is going to be scrapped and they figure a plan to euthanize the creature, but the plan fails and the young girl takes control of the matter. Anguiras does eventually beat the two and he escapes, now free because the girl overloads her implants and his to free him.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^You really think Toho will give Anguirus his own movie?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

If made into a teen adventure film. Each of the films would have their niche.