Your fears for The World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Your fears for The World of Godzilla

Post by tbeasley »

Basically they want Heisei Godzilla back. To a lot of people that's still the contemporary image of Godzilla, they went nuts when the old statue was moved and called it disrespectful. etc. They want safe Heisei style sequels with a consistent design film to film. But it doesn't matter what they get, be it safe or something different, because nothing will ever compare to what they grew up with.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

tbeasley wrote:Basically they want Heisei Godzilla back. To a lot of people that's still the contemporary image of Godzilla, they went nuts when the old statue was moved and called it disrespectful. etc. They want safe Heisei style sequels with a consistent design film to film. But it doesn't matter what they get, be it safe or something different, because nothing will ever compare to what they grew up with.
Who is the "they" that said moving the statue was disrespectful?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:
tbeasley wrote:Basically they want Heisei Godzilla back. To a lot of people that's still the contemporary image of Godzilla, they went nuts when the old statue was moved and called it disrespectful. etc. They want safe Heisei style sequels with a consistent design film to film. But it doesn't matter what they get, be it safe or something different, because nothing will ever compare to what they grew up with.
Fans with a hatred for the newer interpretations on the character.

Currently, my only fear for this new series is a lack of English accessibility. I'd rather not have to wait 1+ years to see these films subbed or dubbed.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Currently, my only fear for this new series is a lack of English accessibility. I'd rather not have to wait 1+ years to see these films subbed or dubbed.
I agree with this sentiment 100%. I explained this to my wife about how when I was younger I used to have to wait YEARS until I could see newer Godzilla films and how it was such a treat to see Shin in theaters just for that specific reason, if for nothing else.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Maritonic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

I agree with this sentiment 100%. I explained this to my wife about how when I was younger I used to have to wait YEARS until I could see newer Godzilla films and how it was such a treat to see Shin in theaters just for that specific reason, if for nothing else.
I couldn't agree with you more. The first Godzilla films that I saw in a theater were Godzilla 1985 and Godzilla 2000, and while I liked these US versions, I'm glad that the unedited Japanese versions (The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 2000: Millennium, respectively) are now available here as well. The funny thing is, if you'd told me 55 years ago that the unedited Japanese versions of any daikaiju film would've been available in this country in any way, shape or form, I'd have said that you were crazy. But look at it today! So I don't mind. Hey, I've waited all these years for this-I can wait a little longer. In fact, the way I figure it, I've got nothing but time. I am nothing if not flexible in a situation like this. I can afford to be. In fact, I really don't have any other choice in the matter.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

My biggest fear is that Toho doesn't go weird enough again and we're stuck in an eternal nightmarish combination of the worst of the Heisei and Millenium days (with unavoidable sprinkling of Mothra and Ghidorah). Apart from that....

God's in his heaven. All's right with the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ToxicLove wrote:My biggest fear is that Toho doesn't go weird enough again and we're stuck in an eternal nightmarish combination of the worst of the Heisei and Millenium days (with unavoidable sprinkling of Mothra and Ghidorah).
Right there with you on this one. If they're going for the "cinematic universe" model, there's risk of some serious bland homogeneity coming our way.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

ToxicLove wrote:God's in his heaven. All's right with the world.
Godzilla on the Earth. All's wrong with the world.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

My fear is that they may bring back suitmation and not introduce new monsters.
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Solia wrote:My fear is that they may bring back suitmation.
How is this a fear?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Yeah I'd love to see someone keeping suitmation alive like Kiyotaka Taguchi take a stab at Godzilla.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

If you look at other modern tokusatsu like Ultraman you can see that suitmation still works very well today. I don't think that there's any reason to be WORRIED about them using suits, I actually hope they do.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Solia wrote:My fear is that they may bring back suitmation
Speaking of, if they decide to move on with CGI, hopefully it looks as good or better than what we got in Shin!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Suitmation is still very effective if done well. Gamera 3 hasn't aged in 20 years, that's the best example I can give right now.
I'd be fine with CGI too, but only if it looks as close as good as Shin or that Gamera teaser from 2016.

My fear is if we end up getting GvSG level of suitmation, or Mothra Trilogy level of CGI.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think the best way to handle Godzilla in this day and age is with motion capture. It remains a good way to bridge the gap between suitmation and CGI.

G.Escanor
Yojimbo

Post by G.Escanor »

I was in fear of there being a sequel to Shin Godzilla but with toho announcing that they won't in hopes of supporting the MonsterVerse series, I'm happy about that now. Now the only thing I fear is that the MonsterVerse doesn't bomb because of their ambitions and them trying to fit in too much without making an at least coherent story.
ShinEscanor156

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I don't think suitmation should ever be used again for the franchise. Many of the shots in Shin would have been far more complicated to do with a suit. The cinematography shouldn't be limited by a soundstage or miniatures in the way of the camera.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I don't think live-action necessarily translates to bad cinematography. Sure, animation might allow for more creative freedom, but why does that mean it should replace live action completely? Should we be making fully animated movies in the future and doing away with physical actors?

This has nothing to do with the use of monster suits in itself, I just don't understand this particular argument against it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

I'd REALLY love to see a reboot of G 54' with not many changes. Even if they made it in modern time as long as the story was the same, I think it would be good. As an added twist, think it might be neat if Godzilla actually survived the Oxygen Destroyer. Maybe it just severely wounds him to the point where he doesn't re-appear for a while. I'd also like to see 2 Godzillas at the same time. "New" Godzilla appears sometime after the original (who is presumed dead) disappears. G#2 goes about doing his thing skreonking up Japan and beating/killing other Kaijus for several films (perhaps all of them but the last) until original G reappears and challenges G#2. I think that would be the skreonking skreonk! But again, just a dream. Most likely never happen. So unlikely that having a Toho/Legendary crossover movie where Legendary G fights Shin is probably more likely though neither has a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening unfortunately. Which is where the "fear" part comes in. There's so much that us, the fans want, but knowing that 90% of it will likely never even make it to paper. :(
Dedicated To Darkness..

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

1. That as it goes on it starts to look cheap or bad. I don't really care if we get suits back or stay with CG, just as long as it looks as good and as professional as Shin did, or better (half a decade for the technology to become cheaper and better). I would prefer CG to suits after seeing Shin, but excellent suitamation works for me.

2. The end of the MonsterVerse. I have enjoyed Legendary's kaiju movies so far, love that Godzilla design, and the scale and scope you get in film from that level of a budget. I want all that to continue. And this isn't a knock against Toho, Shin was an impressive hell of a film. I'm a greedy, grubby little Godzilla fan, I want two separate Godzilla series existing concurrently and going in different directions.

3. That they pick the wrong writer or director and produce a franchise killer of a movie that ends the series.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.