Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

What grade do you give Shin Godzilla?

A
61%
B
25%
C
7%
D
5%
F
3%

Total votes: 182

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Give Shin Godzilla a Letter Grade

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jomei wrote:Merch rank: SSSSSSSS

#Jailbait

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

MM Raids Again wrote:
#Jailbait
Get your eyes checked.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

She's 24.

Here's another for you.

Clearly this is an A+ or higher film, considering that new merch, promotions, statues, and more are still being made.
Last edited by Jomei on Sat May 26, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Or, y'know... considering that it's still the most recent live-action Toho film, thus there's really no reason for them to shift merchandising...

Letter grades are subjective, and that's fine- they can't be subjectively proven by merchandising. They merchandised the heck out of G98. They merchandised the heck out of Phantom menace for three years- until an actual new film came along. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Zarm wrote:Or, y'know... considering that it's still the most recent live-action Toho film, thus there's really no reason for them to shift merchandising...
Silly. There would be reason to shift if the demand had. And two animated films came out. What other Godzilla film was still dominating like this after two other films had debuted??

Next we'll have people in here disputing the film's impact again--right after they just put up a big Shin statue in Hibiya Godzilla Square. :lol:
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Again, still the most recent live action film from Toho. The Clone Wars animated movie came out after Revemge of the Sith and Force Awakens, but didn't recieve the same level.of merchandizing as either. Animated entries are not on the same level as a live-action followup. Shin is still being merchandized because it is still the most recent film. Neither that, nor its popularity, do anything to indicate its objective quality or override other people's subjective ratings of the film.

Plus, merchandising is just not a yardstick of quality; they merchandise films of all qualities, especially in a popular long-running series.

Not saying your rating of the film is wrong... just that merchandising isn't 'evidence' of anything, either way.

And seeing as the statue it replaced was from the Heisei era, which was a good 20+ years ago and was still the face of most merchandise even through the Millenium era and beyond, the last film to dominate this way was Return of Godzilla through Godzilla vs. Destroyah. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Sat May 26, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Do you make a habit of long replies to tongue-in-cheek posts? I was grading the level of the merchandise, not the film itself (which was already determined an A+++ or above).

Animated entries "not on the same level" in the country where Kimi no Na wa was the #1 film in 2016, beating out even Shin Godzilla? Ok bub.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

The Heisei design dominated merchandising for so long because it was the most successful series of films in decades. Toho consciously sought to distance Godzilla from his image in the 1970s. Return of Godzilla didn't perform as well as Toho expected and Godzilla vs Biollante was not a success. The Heisei series didn't really take off until Godzilla vs Mothra in 1992 and its success is the reason for the recent overuse of Mothra, King Ghidorah, and MechaGodzilla. The Millennium series was such a disappointment it almost ended with Godzilla vs Megaguirus. Kaneko won Toho a few more years of goodwill with GMK before the series ended with Godzilla Final Wars: a financial disaster and one of the least attended films in the franchise. Godzilla was dead. It was viewed as a distraction only fit for otaku (used in the negative connotation here) and children according to Ryuhei Kitamura. The mid-1990s is your best bet unless you want to reach back all the way to the Golden Age and anyone old enough to remember that likely aren't the ones who purchase the merchandise.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

A+++ female cast

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Jomei wrote:A+++ female cast
Yep. The finest ladies since the days of Yuriko Hoshi, Akiko Wakabayashi, Kumi Mizuno, and Mie Hama. But Yuriko Hishimi was out of this world as well.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

I give it a C+.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

A- for PS2 special effects here and there.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

PS2 effects is like Asylum level. Even the worst of Shin is better than that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:PS2 effects is like Asylum level. Even the worst of Shin is better than that.
The shot of the bombs dropping on Godzilla during the bridge scene begs to differ. The shot looks unfinished.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:PS2 effects is like Asylum level. Even the worst of Shin is better than that.
The shot of the bombs dropping on Godzilla during the bridge scene begs to differ. The shot looks unfinished.
Yeah no, that's an exaggeration.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Yeah, in your opinion.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Yeah, in your opinion.
Have you ever actually watched an Asylum movie or revisted PS2 graphics? While Shin's special effects may not have been up to Hollywood standards they are CERTAINLY not that bad. Hence the exaggeration.

This is Battlefield 2 on the PS2.

In MY opinion, yes, my opinion...the effects in Shin are not quite this dated.
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I'd give it an A. Not like an A+ but just an A.
The movie drags in some parts, and Godzilla's character is undefined, but I still feel that it's a great return to form for Godzilla's allegorical side. Plus it's the only movie I can think of that has intellectual debates on politics and giant monsters shooting lasers!
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

My grade on it has actually increased. It used to be a solid B at best, but now it's easily B+, A- at most.

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

t's the only movie I can think of that has intellectual debates on politics and giant monsters shooting lasers
What the...