Fate of Marvel Comics Godzilla?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.

What do you think happened to Marvel Godzilla

Killed by Archangel
20%
Somehow changed back to normal after his mutation and is alive and well
80%

Total votes: 15

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Fate of Marvel Comics Godzilla?

Post by Godzillian »

Long story short, in Uncanny X-men #507 a large creature very similar to Godzilla is killed by Archangel. It's never stated whether this is infact Godzilla after he was heavily mutated but remains a possibility. Anyone think it was really Godzilla (who can't be named in the comics for obvious reasons) was this creature that was killed?
Spoiler:
Interestingly though Godzilla (who appears to have reverted back to his original form) gets a cameo when a host of giant monsters invade New York. Do you think this could be Godzilla or simply just a neat cameo the artist threw in without it intending to be the Marvel Godzilla?
Spoiler:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Fate of Marvel Comics Godzilla?

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Naw that Xmen panel is not Godzilla. The mutated Godzilla has a sail down his neck and a horn on his snout.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/image ... cover.html
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

How did that happen to Godzilla anyway(the mutation). I read the essential marvel comics featuring Godzilla but I don't believe the mutation takes place during those. Also what's the purpose and reason for the mutation business wise? Did they lose the copyright to Godzilla but wanted to try to keep him in the universe somehow? And is the mutant stronger or weaker.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:How did that happen to Godzilla anyway(the mutation). I read the essential marvel comics featuring Godzilla but I don't believe the mutation takes place during those.
We're never told how it happens because...
Also what's the purpose and reason for the mutation business wise? Did they lose the copyright to Godzilla but wanted to try to keep him in the universe somehow?

Hit the nail on the head. They didn't show or explain the mutation because they couldn't show him again or call him by name. Mutant Godzilla made his first appearance quite a few years after Marvel's Godzilla line ended.

There was no reason to bring Godzilla back, either.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr. X wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:How did that happen to Godzilla anyway(the mutation). I read the essential marvel comics featuring Godzilla but I don't believe the mutation takes place during those.
We're never told how it happens because...
Also what's the purpose and reason for the mutation business wise? Did they lose the copyright to Godzilla but wanted to try to keep him in the universe somehow?

Hit the nail on the head. They didn't show or explain the mutation because they couldn't show him again or call him by name. Mutant Godzilla made his first appearance quite a few years after Marvel's Godzilla line ended.

There was no reason to bring Godzilla back, either.
So how do we know he's godzilla and not just some random monster?
Edit: didn't realize the main site had a page for the mutation, I'll read those now.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Actually, we were told what happened-by Dr. Demonicus in Iron Man (vol. 1) #193, who said that somehow, he had captured Godzilla, mutated him further to suit his purposes, and placed him under his mental control, all without even mentioning his name once! This version of Godzilla, by the way, appears only twice-in Iron Man (vol. 1) #193-196 and The Thing #31. After that-nothing. Not even so much as a mention.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I prefer to think of that poor captured chump as a Gigantis-style second monster of similar species that coincidentally woke up around the same time.

On the other hand, the lack of further appearances does seem to indicate something happened to Godzilla. I'd prefer to think he either became king of the Savage Lands and is content to stay there, or was exiled from Earth somehow (to the Negative Zone, perhaps?) and found his way to an parallel Earth, where he became one of the other Godzilla incarnations in comics or film. (Heck, I wouldn't mind it if he ended up being the second Showa Godzilla himself, drawn tot hat world by the loss of its own Godzilla to fill the role- but I don't think their powers are quite compatible enough for that one to work! ;) )
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

In my brain, the ending of the Godzilla Marvel series is the end of his story in the Marvel comics-verse.

He came, he saw, he stomped around, and then went back to the Ocean, never to be disturbed again. Anything that happened after that is just Marvel playing around with them not being able to use the name Godzilla anymore.

I know I'm ignoring some things that happened afterwards, but I'm more of a Godzilla fan than a Marvel fan anyway, so my head-canon will acknowledge the parts that I want to acknowledge, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.