Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by KillCrites »

ernesth100 wrote:
KillCrites wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:I really just want a Wolfman film. Are werewolves just not cool anymore? Did I miss a wave?
Oh god no. Why? :cry:
Because why attempt to make a good movie when you can make an intentionally bad one for people to watch ironically?
why did i have to be the chosen one?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ah yes I remember when my cop partner was a wolf, good times. We would be howling at strip clubs all night and chugging 12-cans of Howling Wolf beer. Too bad he took a silver bullet to the knee one fateful night :cry:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Ah yes I remember when my cop partner was a wolf, good times. We would be howling at strip clubs all night and chugging 12-cans of Howling Wolf beer. Too bad he took a silver bullet to the knee one fateful night :cry:
That's how it always happens isn't it. A good wolf cop Inna bad situation. Tragic. :lol:
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I would really like a cool Dark Universe, but I don't know what they do next. Wolfman, Dracula, and Mummy were all key monsters for this universe and have either flopped or been unliked. Frankenstein is overdone, and I wonder if del Toro's Shape of Water makes even a more horror-like Gill-Man remake redundant. They need something very unique or really organic. If not that, then this universe has no point.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

This “MonsterVerse” was dead from the start, no puns intended
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

SteveIrwinFan96
G-Force Personnel

Post by SteveIrwinFan96 »

Well, looks like they're going to try it again: http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3499 ... yet-seems/

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

This time maybe do their own approach rather then trying to copy Marvel. Perhaps that would work considering how well the MonsterVerse has so far doing it on its own.

One of the many reasons it failed in the first place.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

..................................I liked The Mummy.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

cloverfan98 wrote:..................................I liked The Mummy.
How dare you have a different opinion
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I really liked the Mummy too, and was all game for this, but the GA didn't. Glad to hear it might not be dead yet. Also, Jekyll and Hyde was the best part, so I would love a movie with him as the main character this time.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The problem with new cinematic universes, and DC, is they're trying to move through really quick on connecting instead of coming up with individual stories. I don't know what it is.. but they're trying to catch up to Marvel. They want to be like Marvel, but don't have the patience.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Vakanai wrote:
I really liked the Mummy too, and was all game for this, but the GA didn't. Glad to hear it might not be dead yet. Also, Jekyll and Hyde was the best part, so I would love a movie with him as the main character this time.
Really glad to know I'm not alone! I agree that trying to ape Marvel without making individual films or narratives that can stand on their own is a problem but I didn't feel that it was that bad in The Mummy. What I don't understand is why everyone seemed to think Jekyll was assembling an Avengers like team of monsters because he made it pretty clear he wants to kill them all. The whole reason of his organization is to hunt down and destroy these things not unite them into an army.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

cloverfan98 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Really glad to know I'm not alone! I agree that trying to ape Marvel without making individual films or narratives that can stand on their own is a problem but I didn't feel that it was that bad in The Mummy. What I don't understand is why everyone seemed to think Jekyll was assembling an Avengers like team of monsters because he made it pretty clear he wants to kill them all. The whole reason of his organization is to hunt down and destroy these things not unite them into an army.
Were people really thinking that? Why?
Last edited by Vakanai on Sun May 20, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I may be off but I recall reading that in a couple of reviews and podcasts. Some people in and out of the film industry hear "cinematic universe" and immediately think that has to be done EXACTLY the same way Marvel did but there are a few examples of this happening before Marvel. Biggest example is Toho's Showa era. Regardless of the films themselves I feel like Fox did a good job tying Alien and Predator together between Predator 2 and the first AVP.

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/univ ... 203117708/

It looks like Universal is continuing these movies (in some form). From how the article describes their new plans, I'm interested in seeing how this develops. This is what they should've been doing from the beginning instead of trying to copy Marvel.

I know a lot of people are down on the prospect of more of these films (and I don't necessarily blame them), but if Universal is truly committed to doing what the article says then this has potential.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

So this is their, what, fourth new course for this? Just let it die.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

Maritonic wrote:So this is their, what, fourth new course for this? Just let it die.
If they do what the article says they're doing, I don't see how this is a bad thing. Like I said this is what they should've been doing from the beginning. If you're that against it happening, you don't have to watch, or even think about it.

And this is really their 2nd attempt at this. Dracula Untold wasn't made with the intent of being a springboard for a shared universe (it retroactively had a post credit scene tacked on late in PP). The Mummy was their only attempt at creating a sprawling shared universe. And after some of the attempts at Godzilla movies in the 90's/early 00's (and some fans' reaction to them), would you say there shouldn't have been more Godzilla films?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

mvp9056 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:So this is their, what, fourth new course for this? Just let it die.
If they do what the article says they're doing, I don't see how this is a bad thing. Like I said this is what they should've been doing from the beginning. If you're that against it happening, you don't have to watch, or even think about it.

And this is really their 2nd attempt at this. Dracula Untold wasn't made with the intent of being a springboard for a shared universe (it retroactively had a post credit scene tacked on late in PP). The Mummy was their only attempt at creating a sprawling shared universe. And after some of the attempts at Godzilla movies in the 90's/early 00's (and some fans' reaction to them), would you say there shouldn't have been more Godzilla films?
This is literally why people are having an issue on this forum. You post a countering opinion, and someone negates what you say instead of having a discussion.

In my opinion, which is like pissing on the Bible around here, Wolf Man, Dracula Untold, and Mummy were all attempts at starting this universe. This is their fourth attempt. Not second. Clearly what they're doing isn't working. I don't think you can ever recapture what made the Universal Monsters work so well back in the era that they came out in.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

At least it seems like they're letting it be more storyteller-driven, and not focused on forcing an interconnected cinematic universe. I think that's always been the wrong approach for these characters, but they are characters I think could continue to have an interesting presence in movies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
At least it seems like they're letting it be more storyteller-driven, and not focused on forcing an interconnected cinematic universe. I think that's always been the wrong approach for these characters, but they are characters I think could continue to have an interesting presence in movies.
Possibly, but I just don't see them continuing anymore. What made these movies so excellent is far lost to history. I don't think we're capable of recreating it.