Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Ha, that’s not happening lol. A unification between Texas and Russia is more likely.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun May 06, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think reposting this here is necessary. Important parts bolded.
GigaBowserG wrote:A new article has appeared, and it lists some very ambitious plans from Toho regarding Godzilla and company: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a ... keisty-ent

To summarize some of the points:
  • They reiterate the strategy to produce movies every two years, preferably annually.
  • They want to develop their own "shared universe", where monsters like Godzilla and King Ghidorah can appear in a setting similar to how characters like Iron Man and the Hulk appear together in Marvel movies, which can lead to solo movies for certain monsters.
  • Instead of following the traditional formula of, say, "Shin Godzilla" being followed-up by an obvious "Shin Godzilla 2", they want to create a long-term Godzilla world. For example, if Mothra were to appear in a movie, commercialization would center around her - not just toys, but also games and apparel.
  • Due to Legendary and WB holding marketing rights, it has prevented Toho from producing things such as T-shirts or video games for foreign markets. In the future, such things will be produced in-house. They're hoping to branch out even further with more ambitious projects, such as creating theme parks in places like Los Angeles, or developing more Godzilla heads like the one in Shinjuku and allowing hotels overseas to have their own!
  • Regarding character licensing, after establishing Gojicon, they're setting out in a new direction. Up to that point, Godzilla tie-ins and appearances in media have been handled very strictly. However, they've come to realize that Godzilla's charm lies not just in his strength and intimidating demeanor, but also in his more humorous side, granting him a wider range of use with fewer restrictions, in turn increasing his audience.
  • They want a Godzilla that can appeal to multiple generations, so there is the potential for the creation of books and animation that cater to children.
  • At the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, they hope Godzilla will welcome the world as a representative of Japan.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Toho is trying to make a second shows era then. I wouldn't mind something like this then

Godzilla vs film
Mothra vs film
Rodan vs film
Maybe a Varan film
Godzilla vs Mothra
Ghidorah tha three headed monster remake.

They could last them from 2021- 2034. They could even try a Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla depending on where the franchise is headed.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Varan really needs a good movie, such a wasted monster.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I guess this means Legendary’s Monster-Verse will end after Godzilla vs Kong?
That’s pretty short lived.

I wish Legendary and Toho were able to make films at the same time.
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Sat May 19, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:I guess this means Legendary’s Monster-Verse will end after Godzilla vs Kong?
That’s pretty short lived.

I wish Legendary and Toho were able to make films at the same time.
That's NOT what this says dude

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Unless they renew the contract with Legendary, nothing's going to happen with the MonsterVerse after 2020 I don't think. Which, I'm totally fine with because I'm way more excited for what Toho's planning anyways.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

I for one am excited and would love to see some more 'old fashioned style' Godzilla movies.. and I would love to see some Toho monsters that were dropped from older projects in the Godzilla Universe, such as Bagan, Redmoon, Hitoda, etc... basically all the Kaiju that are in the cutting floor section of this very website. Id also love to see multiple Godzilla's
Obviously suits changed due to wear and tear but imagine a movie with a Showa, Heisei and a couple of Millennium Godzillas all in the same picture ! :)
A godzilla fan can dream !

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

GigaBowserG wrote: [*]At the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, they hope Godzilla will welcome the world as a representative of Japan.[/list]
I'm just imagining Godzilla wading out of Tokyo Bay and spreading his arms in a sort of "WELCOME TO JAPAN!" gesture, before ushering all the people into the stadiums.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I kind of hope this new Cinematic Universe can coexist with the Monsterverse but both handle different subjects.

The Monsterverse focuses on more grounded takes on the kaiju, while the Tohoverse can focus on more abstract and unique ideas. Something for both audiences.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

KillCrites wrote:Unless they renew the contract with Legendary, nothing's going to happen with the MonsterVerse after 2020 I don't think. Which, I'm totally fine with because I'm way more excited for what Toho's planning anyways.
I'm more excited for the possibility that they do renew the contract with Legendary. Imagine it, two cinematic Godzilla universes going on at the same time! Plus if Toho does a film a year, which I seem to be one of very few who likes getting something that often, having a big budget film to compare themselves against every few years might help drive the quality up.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Vakanai wrote:Plus if Toho does a film a year, which I seem to be one of very few who likes getting something that often, having a big budget film to compare themselves against every few years might help drive the quality up.
You're definitely not alone there. Some of my favorite films came from the era where they were doing just that. And the idea of competition keeping them on their toes is a good one.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

I like how everyone on youtube is melting down
Godzilla 2016 fans are sad
Godzilla 2014 fanboys and the like are screaming their heads off in joy
Some ppl are puzzled

All over the cancellation of a film that probably never existed in the first place
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:I like how everyone on youtube is melting down
Some ppl are puzzled

All over the cancellation of a film that probably never existed in the first place
What cancellation? Nothing has been cancelled yet.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Vakanai wrote:
Some ppl are puzzled

Tell that to every movie website , Godzilla youtuber, and G2014 fanboy RN
I'm having a row with a notorious G2014 fanboy who said because Shin 2 isn't part of the new series it's cancelled and therefore I am wrong for saying something that probably doesn't exist and never existed wasn't cancelled
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Some ppl are puzzled

Tell that to every movie website , Godzilla youtuber, and G2014 fanboy RN
I'm having a row with a notorious G2014 fanboy who said because Shin 2 isn't part of the new series it's cancelled and therefore I am wrong for saying something that probably doesn't exist and never existed wasn't cancelled
Yeah, that is silly. Can't cancel what doesn't exist. Besides, it seemed like Toho was saying it was more open, so a few out of continuity films might not be impossible.

Xagzan
GPN Volunteer

Post by Xagzan »

There is not one item on this news list that I don't love. Yes to a new movie series, yes to a new Mothra solo movie (or Rodan), yes to books, yes to all that.

Can't wait for the theme park, as well.

Last edited by Xagzan on Sun May 20, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Some ppl are puzzled

Don't forget everyone that are screaming about the MV ending in 2020 even though we have no confirmation about that.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I hope the Monster-Verse continues after 2020 too, but it sounds reallyyyyy unlikely either side wants two cinematic universes with Godzilla running at the same time, despite each appealing to different markets/ niches.

Anyway, a “cinematic universe” with 3 Godzilla movies and 1 Kong prequel over the span of 7 years is mehhh.
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Mon May 21, 2018 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Xagzan
GPN Volunteer

Post by Xagzan »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:I hope the Monster-Verse continues after 2020 too, but it sounds reallyyyyy unlikely either side wants two cinematic universes with Godzilla running at the same time, despite each appealing to different markets/ niches.

Anyway, a “cinematic universe” with 3 Godzilla movies and 1 Kong prequel over the span of 7 years is mehhh.
Still better than the crap Universal tried to pull.