Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Toho to go back to one Godzilal film a year after Godzilla vs Kong

Post by Vakanai »

KillCrites wrote:
Dramorg wrote:Why are some people complaining about the Heisei and Millenium series? Even though I enjoy every Godzilla movie the same, the newer ones are what I prefer to watch. And since I started to become a Godzilla fan in 2007, I always hoped for a time like this to happen again :eh:
Probably because both the Heisei and Millennium series are very inconsistent in quality due to the rushed production that comes from yearly releases.
No more so than Showa. I think it's a mix of Showa nostalgia and distaste for "beam wars" personally.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Plus, a much larger series for the dud entries to hide among. :) You tend to notice them more when they comprise a higher percentage.

But like I did the math a page or two back, I still think we ended up with at least as many good entries in the same time period from those two 'variable' series as we would have from an every-three-years release during the same era, if every film had been firing on all cylinders. So I think the eras get a bit of a bad rap.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Dramorg wrote:Why are some people complaining about the Heisei and Millenium series? Even though I enjoy every Godzilla movie the same, the newer ones are what I prefer to watch. And since I started to become a Godzilla fan in 2007, I always hoped for a time like this to happen again :eh:
Because the the idea of doing 1 film a year doesn't work anymore. The millennium series flopped hard at the box office and killed the franchise for 10 years

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Godzillian wrote:Because the the idea of doing 1 film a year doesn't work anymore. The millennium series flopped hard at the box office and killed the franchise for 10 years
I'd say it was on decent life support from 99 to 03 and Final Wars smothered it with a pillow.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Godzillian wrote:
Because the the idea of doing 1 film a year doesn't work anymore. The millennium series flopped hard at the box office and killed the franchise for 10 years
I think the problem was less one movie a year and more a couple crappy movies here and there.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I've had a few drinks in me, but thinking about the excitement that my 12-year-old self had seeing posters and teasers for GxMG, GMMG, and GFW (even thought they weren't great). FUUUUUUUUCK YEAH!!! More Godzilla movies!! I'm so excited. Especially in the world of streaming services and limited theatrical runs.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I think a movie every year would get old real fast.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Not for me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

If they can make consistently interesting and fresh takes on the Godzilla franchise and character every year then I would mind a little less.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Zarm wrote:Not for me.
It does for the GA, franchise fatigue is a real danger

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Franchise fatigue is always a danger. But honestly, it just takes a few bad films in a row- and contrary to the popular myth, taking longer to make those films doesn't prevent that. Just look at Spider-man's history.

For me, the Godzilla series has been dormant (from Toho) long enough. And it will go dormant again, eventually. I'd rather have more entries in the canon than less. And sure, I'd rather they be good than bad... but Marvel has proven that with proper planning and execution, that is not mutually exclusive to a frequent release date.

Maranatha!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Godzillian wrote:
Zarm wrote:Not for me.
It does for the GA, franchise fatigue is a real danger
Marvel movies and every long running TV series disproves this I think. The GA doesn't get franchise fatigue, they get low quality movie fatigue.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Using Marvel as a comparison doesn't really work. Yes, the movies are related, but they don't all revolve around a single superhero. Godzilla movies are, well, Godzilla movies. It would be much more appropriate to use James Bond at a comparison. The Bond franchise, generally speaking, has put out a movie every 2-4 years. That's a much more effective and sustainable release schedule than what Toho does, IMO.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

And yet during the Connery years, where it arguably enjoyed its peak popularity, they were putting out one per year. They only slowed down as the films became larger and more elaborate productions. The production requirements necessitated a lengthening schedule.

However, a staggered schedule- easily possible, as you don't have the same star working on every film in the way the Connery films did- could alleviate even that necessity. And the argument that the subject matter itself would grow tiring would seem to be negated by the popularity of numerous annual franchises, from those Connery films to the popularity currently enjoyed by the Star Wars series. And yes, I do recognize and that those are staggered with Anthology stories. But nonetheless, a fan base does not tend to yire of getting its films more often- if anything, they clamor for that. And as long as the films are well-made, there's no evidence that I can see from any franchise of fatigue occurring simply because the audiences are tired of seeing a character.

It occurs if the quality drops- but that has nothing to do with the frequency, as it can happen both in quick turnaround productions and long turnaround productions... evidenced by so many failed franchises and rebooted series of recent years that took several years between each entry, and still didn't craft a satisfying story.

Maranatha!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Zarm wrote:And yet during the Connery years, where it arguably enjoyed its peak popularity, they were putting out one per year. They only slowed down as the films became larger and more elaborate productions. The production requirements necessitated a lengthening schedule.

However, a staggered schedule- easily possible, as you don't have the same star working on every film in the way the Connery films did- could alleviate even that necessity. And the argument that the subject matter itself would grow tiring would seem to be negated by the popularity of numerous annual franchises, from those Connery films to the popularity currently enjoyed by the Star Wars series. And yes, I do recognize and that those are staggered with Anthology stories. But nonetheless, a fan base does not tend to yire of getting its films more often- if anything, they clamor for that. And as long as the films are well-made, there's no evidence that I can see from any franchise of fatigue occurring simply because the audiences are tired of seeing a character.

It occurs if the quality drops- but that has nothing to do with the frequency, as it can happen both in quick turnaround productions and long turnaround productions... evidenced by so many failed franchises and rebooted series of recent years that took several years between each entry, and still didn't craft a satisfying story.
Exactly, I wish I could throw this post at everyone who goes on about franchise fatigue. Obviously much smaller scale, but you know how many animated Scooby Doo or Batman movies they release annually? The fan base don't care.

Hell, forget franchise fatigue, look at the argument for genre fatigue. People were talking about eventual superhero fatigue at least as far back as the Daredevil movie long before the Marvel universe was even a dream, and now superheroes are more popular than ever and it's been what, over 15 years since I heard that argument come up with Daredevil. Yet people still try and argue that genre fatigue is a near term thing.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Living Corpse wrote:I think a movie every year would get old real fast.
Yet people still flock to Marvel's three films per year...
Last edited by Spuro on Fri May 04, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I think a movie every year would get old real fast.
Yet people still flock to Marvel's three films per year...
As explained above...
Inferno Rodan wrote:Using Marvel as a comparison doesn't really work. Yes, the movies are related, but they don't all revolve around a single superhero. Godzilla movies are, well, Godzilla movies.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri May 04, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Unless we get Gamera or Ultraman or new original monsters, the most they can do is switching back and forth between a King Kong movie and a Godzilla movie. And that's assuming Kong will even have more than the two movies.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Living Corpse wrote:Unless we get Gamera or Ultraman or new original monsters, the most they can do is switching back and forth between a King Kong movie and a Godzilla movie. And that's assuming Kong will even have more than the two movies.
Legendary's kaiju output will be roughly one movie every 2 to 3 years, switching between Godzilla and Kong could go a good little while before worrying about mixing it up. And there's always Mothra and Rodan.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Living Corpse wrote:Unless we get Gamera or Ultraman or new original monsters, the most they can do is switching back and forth between a King Kong movie and a Godzilla movie. And that's assuming Kong will even have more than the two movies.
I thought you already were 100% sure Gamera was already in the monsterverse, sure enough to make a $100 bet with me on it