Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I found an image about the computer screen with all the kaiju names, but I don't want to get in trouble since technically it's a leak. Instead I'll post the names:
Spoiler:
-Battra
- Gigan
- Muto
- Zigra
- Clover
- Varan
- Jiger*
- Baragon
- Yonggary
- turtle boy himself, Gamera
- Guiron *
- Gyaos

* names that are a little hard to make out.
I just did non-Pacific Rim names.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I found an image about the computer screen with all the kaiju names, but I don't want to get in trouble since technically it's a leak. Instead I'll post the names:
Spoiler:
-Battra
- Gigan
- Muto
- Zigra
- Clover
- Varan
- Jiger*
- Baragon
- Yonggary
- Guiron *
- Gyaos

But then, who is...
Spoiler:
Agrura? Is that some sort of video game/comic book PR monster?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GigaBowserG wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I found an image about the computer screen with all the kaiju names, but I don't want to get in trouble since technically it's a leak. Instead I'll post the names:
Spoiler:
-Battra
- Gigan
- Muto
- Zigra
- Clover
- Varan
- Jiger*
- Baragon
- Yonggary
- Guiron *
- Gyaos

But then, who is...
Spoiler:
Agrura? Is that some sort of video game/comic book PR monster?
I'm guessing you've seen the screenshot as well?
Spoiler:
I don't know, according to Wikizilla it's just another Pacific Rim kaiju.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Oh so it flopped? And it made less then the first one did?!

YAY! The abomination is dead!

May the people who made this movie never touch another franchise again

The good thing about the first Pacific Rim is that it ended with a completed story, with all character arcs and ties finished. Now I don't have to deal with a cliffhanger that'll never get answered or finished like Uprising. Meaning I can successfully ignore Uprising entirely

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

ROMG4 wrote:Oh so it flopped? And it made less then the first one did?!

The good thing about the first Pacific Rim is that it ended with a completed story, with all character arcs and ties finished. Now I don't have to deal with a cliffhanger that'll never get answered or finished like Uprising. Meaning I can successfully ignore Uprising entirely
Hadn't noted that. The difference in these films becomes absolutely massive when ya look it that way.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

The second movie didn't end on a cliff hanger though. It is completed but very much a 'we can do something next.'
I mean not THAT much different from the first one either. I mean I find it hard to believe the aliens would just stop after the lose of one outpost. A people that can build multiple kaiju on an assembly line don't seem to have the same attrition level as a single planet.

That said I'm looking at the big picture: one monster movie doing poorly means other studios will be nervous. I mean Toho was nervous about doing more Godzilla movies thanks to the crappy 70s Kong doing poorly. Quality often means very little to studios. Transformers 2 is a better movie than Pacific Rim Uprising because it made more. Never mind one I enjoyed, Uprising, and one I want to blow my brains out just thinking about it, Revenge of the Fallen for the record.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

daveblackeye15 wrote:The second movie didn't end on a cliff hanger though.
It does, though.
Spoiler:
It ends with Newt still being controlled and Jake claiming they'll take the fight to the Anteverse. Newt's condition is an unresolved conflict and Jake's statement is a teaser for a sequel. It's not a hardcore cliffhanger, but it's still a cliffhanger nonetheless.
daveblackeye15 wrote: That said I'm looking at the big picture: one monster movie doing poorly means other studios will be nervous.
More people view Pacific Rim as a robot movie than a monster movie, so don't worry.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I guess, well a cliffhanger to me would be...
Spoiler:
Jake and Amara watch helplessly as the Mega Kaiju plunges right in! Oh god what is going to happen!?
This kind is totally bearable, much as I want to see
Spoiler:
Newt redeemed and a big ass war.
Maybe a comic.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

A prequel film about the first Jager and the start of the kaiju attacks would've been a better choice for a second film IMO

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Since Del Toro doesn't like the military and doesn't want to show where the Jeagers/humanity are winning the only movie I could see him doing is this situation. A handful of kaiju end up reviving/healing either on their own/humans assisting them. I guess two or three people go on a hunt to find the least badly damaged Jaeger or two and they go up against these two or three kaiju stragglers. I guess there could be flashbacks to the previous Kaiju war.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Spoiler:
-Battra
- Gigan
- Muto
- Zigra
- Clover
- Varan
- Jiger*
- Baragon
- Yonggary
- Guiron *
- Gyaos

It wouldn’t be a problem if you just put the link under spoilers… the whole leak thing only has to do with Godzilla type stuff, not other franchises

Care to send me a link?

Added in 21 minutes 4 seconds:
Edit
I just found it on Godzilla Movies.com

Added in 10 minutes 2 seconds:
I think I see Bagan, he’s towards the bottom, the one with the bull horns
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Trivia note: PRU's IMDB crew is now larger than Skull Island's. #Factoid.

Another: Kong grossed more domestically in 3 days than PRU's entire run.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kon ... 32490.html
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... ry2016.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pacificrim2.htm

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

As someone who loves the original I actually really enjoyed Uprising for what it was.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:As someone who loves the original I actually really enjoyed Uprising for what it was.
Same here.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Spoiler:
-Battra
- Gigan
- Muto
- Zigra
- Clover
- Varan
- Jiger*
- Baragon
- Yonggary
- Guiron *
- Gyaos

It wouldn’t be a problem if you just put the link under spoilers… the whole leak thing only has to do with Godzilla type stuff, not other franchises

Care to send me a link?

Added in 21 minutes 4 seconds:
Edit
I just found it on Godzilla Movies.com

Added in 10 minutes 2 seconds:
I think I see Bagan, he’s towards the bottom, the one with the bull horns
That is Meathead
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

ROMG4 wrote:Oh so it flopped? And it made less then the first one did?!

No not yay, this decreases the odds of another Pacific Rim film. You know, one that might have been good and made up for the second.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Living Corpse wrote: No not yay, this decreases the odds of another Pacific Rim film. You know, one that might have been good and made up for the second.
Yeah,I'd rather not risk it again, thanks.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Living Corpse wrote: No not yay, this decreases the odds of another Pacific Rim film. You know, one that might have been good and made up for the second.
heeeeellll no. Hell to the no.

Pacific rim shouldn't have had a sequel in the first place. With the current lore thats been established, a sequel would either have to retcon a bunch or be just as shit as uprising.

I think it's better we sweep uprising under the rug and move on from PR.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:

Pacific rim shouldn't have had a sequel in the first place. With the current lore thats been established, a sequel would either have to retcon a bunch or be just as shit as uprising.

Del Toro had planed it to be a trilogy. :\

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Living Corpse wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:

Del Toro had planed it to be a trilogy. :\
i maintain my stance. Pacific rim had a perfectly good ending and one that would be very unsatisfying to reopen, whether or not it was directed by him (though it probably would have been a whole lot better with him helming).