How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Godzillian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Image


The other kaiju made to fight Gyaos
Image

User avatar
kamilleblu
G-Grasper
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby kamilleblu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Isn't Barugon The White Tiger of Asian mythology? What are Zigra and Jiger in the Heisei continuity?

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Godzillian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:41 pm

kamilleblu wrote:Isn't Barugon The White Tiger of Asian mythology? What are Zigra and Jiger in the Heisei continuity?

I haven't found a reliable translation but the one I did said Jiger was the tiger and barugon the dragon.
Image

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2670
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Ivo-goji » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Gamera = Genbu, Irys = Suzaku, Jiger = Byakko, Barugon = Seiryu

That leaves Zigra with Oryu, the dragon of the center.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Godzillian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:50 pm

Forget the symbolism each kaiju was given in the 3rd film. I want to know why they thought a fish kaiju would be a good choice to fight Gyaos. As long as the gyaos are inland they are out of Zigra reach
Image

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2670
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:19 am

Godzillian wrote:Forget the symbolism each kaiju was given in the 3rd film. I want to know why they thought a fish kaiju would be a good choice to fight Gyaos. As long as the gyaos are inland they are out of Zigra reach

Zigra can walk on land though.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Godzillian » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:34 am

Ivo-goji wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Forget the symbolism each kaiju was given in the 3rd film. I want to know why they thought a fish kaiju would be a good choice to fight Gyaos. As long as the gyaos are inland they are out of Zigra reach

Zigra can walk on land though.

Barley though, most of the time he's just flailing around
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4892
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Zarm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:23 am

Well, Zigra did have a ray that made flying things crash in the film... and I'll bet a Gyaos in the water would be fairly helpless. Maybe that was the plan- shoot them out of the sky, then tear them apart when they fall in the water; and meanwhile, be relatively protected underwater, where Zigra can get to them, but they can't get to him? It makes a strange kind of sense, as long as he operated in conjunction with another kaiju that can tackle them on land...
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Maritonic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:29 am

Zarm wrote:Well, Zigra did have a ray that made flying things crash in the film... and I'll bet a Gyaos in the water would be fairly helpless. Maybe that was the plan- shoot them out of the sky, then tear them apart when they fall in the water; and meanwhile, be relatively protected underwater, where Zigra can get to them, but they can't get to him? It makes a strange kind of sense, as long as he operated in conjunction with another kaiju that can tackle them on land...


OT, I feel like the only person who skreeonking LOVES Zigra. His look, his roar, everything about him. (Do we not have talkback threads for the Showa Gamera films?)
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Godzillian » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 am

I'd be curouis to see what new abilities (if any) Zigra and Jiger would have had if they were in the heisei continuity. Barugon didn't gain much but his abilities were heavily suped up in the manga and he gained the ability to use his freeze spray to create blizzards

Added in 37 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:Well, Zigra did have a ray that made flying things crash in the film... and I'll bet a Gyaos in the water would be fairly helpless. Maybe that was the plan- shoot them out of the sky, then tear them apart when they fall in the water; and meanwhile, be relatively protected underwater, where Zigra can get to them, but they can't get to him? It makes a strange kind of sense, as long as he operated in conjunction with another kaiju that can tackle them on land...


OT, I feel like the only person who skreeonking LOVES Zigra. His look, his roar, everything about him. (Do we not have talkback threads for the Showa Gamera films?)

No, those aren't Toho films. I'm a fan of Zigra myself, I just feel he got the short end of the stick when it came to his film and execution
Image

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Maritonic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 am

Godzillian wrote:I'd be curouis to see what new abilities (if any) Zigra and Jiger would have had if they were in the heisei continuity. Barugon didn't gain much but his abilities were heavily suped up in the manga and he gained the ability to use his freeze spray to create blizzards

Added in 37 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:Well, Zigra did have a ray that made flying things crash in the film... and I'll bet a Gyaos in the water would be fairly helpless. Maybe that was the plan- shoot them out of the sky, then tear them apart when they fall in the water; and meanwhile, be relatively protected underwater, where Zigra can get to them, but they can't get to him? It makes a strange kind of sense, as long as he operated in conjunction with another kaiju that can tackle them on land...


OT, I feel like the only person who skreeonking LOVES Zigra. His look, his roar, everything about him. (Do we not have talkback threads for the Showa Gamera films?)

No, those aren't Toho films. I'm a fan of Zigra myself, I just feel he got the short end of the stick when it came to his film and execution


Yeah I know they're not Toho films, I'm just a bit surprised no one started any threads in the general media area.

I agree on the film's execution of the monster, though.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5428
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Maritonic wrote:
OT, I feel like the only person who skreeonking LOVES Zigra. His look, his roar, everything about him. (Do we not have talkback threads for the Showa Gamera films?)

Although I have only seen clips- yes I must say he is pretty dang cool. He has a skreeonk ton of potential if his character is ever revisited.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 8935
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby SpaceG92 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:03 pm

Image


Some sort of forgotten science and alchemy probably. Someone mentioned Golems and I don't think it's too far off. Gyaos was created as a weapon but before they lost control, they did a "prototype" protector model based off a Gyaos and somehow it got deformed it. During this time or between the creation of Gyaos to the fall of Atlantis - they worked on Gamera.

Or that these things were always here and they somehow became Mana mutants? /shrug

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Godzillian » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:23 pm

One had to wonder why Atlantis never built a "kill switch" into the DNA of the Gyaos. Also from the manga one of the problems with Barugon is that it went out of control as well. To make things worse it didn't eat people, it brainwashed them into worshipping it like some cult
Image

User avatar
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 8935
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby SpaceG92 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Godzillian wrote:One had to wonder why Atlantis never built a "kill switch" into the DNA of the Gyaos. Also from the manga one of the problems with Barugon is that it went out of control as well. To make things worse it didn't eat people, it brainwashed them into worshipping it like some cult

Problems with Alchemy I guess. You get what you get.

Though, to over quote a certain movie character;

"The error in man is thinking nature is in our control and not the other way around."

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Godzillian » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm curious why Irys failed. It had no real defects and is super strong. If a psycho doesn't raise it, that would be a gyaos exterminator
Image

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2670
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:04 pm

The key point being "if a psycho doesn't raise it".

Though I think with Ryu Sei Cho's blood drinking, he was always a double-edged-sword. Granted, so is Gamera and his Mana Cannon. They both hurt the things they're designed to protect.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9529
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Godzillian wrote:One had to wonder why Atlantis never built a "kill switch" into the DNA of the Gyaos. Also from the manga one of the problems with Barugon is that it went out of control as well. To make things worse it didn't eat people, it brainwashed them into worshipping it like some cult

Because there'd be no story then. Plot demanded it. :lol: :P
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Godzillian wrote:One had to wonder why Atlantis never built a "kill switch" into the DNA of the Gyaos. Also from the manga one of the problems with Barugon is that it went out of control as well. To make things worse it didn't eat people, it brainwashed them into worshipping it like some cult

Wow, that’s pretty interesting, what’s the lowdown on all of Atlantis’s monsters?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Postby Godzillian » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:41 pm

So looked back at the manga. Barugon would hypnotize people into worshipping it like a God. They would then bring it jewels to eat and even protect it from other humans. When the police come to put down a young barugon (about the size of a car) its followers use themselves as human shields in front of it and even attack the police to let Barugon get away

Added in 4 minutes 55 seconds:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Godzillian wrote:One had to wonder why Atlantis never built a "kill switch" into the DNA of the Gyaos. Also from the manga one of the problems with Barugon is that it went out of control as well. To make things worse it didn't eat people, it brainwashed them into worshipping it like some cult

Wow, that’s pretty interesting, what’s the lowdown on all of Atlantis’s monsters?

Basically Atlantis made a few to put down Gyaos and they all failed for one reason or another. Gamera was the last to be made and while he worked, it was too late for Atlantis. It seems they all survived into modern times since Gamera, Gyaos, Irys, and Barugon are all around in the heisei film timeline. Gamera seems to be the only one that was directly involved with the end of Atlantis since the rest hatched from eggs and grew. Jiger and Zigra seemingly were gone for good.
Image


Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest