Gamera 3 Blu Ray Subs

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Gamera 3 Blu Ray Subs

Post by Maritonic »

Not sure if this has a topic, or if it belongs somewhere else. If so, forgive me.

I am watching the Gamera Trilogy Blu Ray set by Mill Creek version of Gamera 3 and the subtitles are ABYSMAL. Missing in parts, laughably bad.

Am I the only one with this problem or is this a common complaint?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Gamera 3 Blu Ray Subs

Post by goji1986 »

http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=420

^We had a whole thread about the release here. In short, no, you, probably somehow managed to get one of the early pressings that was so bad Mill Creek issued a replacement, which also had a subtitling issue and resulted in them issuing a SECOND replacement (both free with mailed cover insert). I literally had 3 separate discs, but the third time was literally the charm.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji1986 wrote:http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=420

^We had a whole thread about the release here. In short, no, you, probably somehow managed to get one of the early pressings that was so bad Mill Creek issued a replacement, which also had a subtitling issue and resulted in them issuing a SECOND replacement (both free with mailed cover insert). I literally had 3 separate discs, but the third time was literally the charm.
Wow. That's insane.

I don't remember having problems with my Guardian or Legion but it's been a while since I watched them.

I assume I have to buy a new one? Or will Mill Creek still honor some sort of replacement?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

This happened way back in 2012, so I honestly can't guarantee Mill Creek would honor this still. The info on where to send it can be found in this Sci-fi Japan article:
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... 3-blu-ray/

Your best bet would be to get into contact with Mill Creek directly to check first.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Alright, thanks. I'll shoot them an e-mail and see where it goes.

Thanks for the help. I finally got my wife to agree to watch the damn movie last night and this is what happens haha.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Lol yeah we were all in the same boat at first. I was so excited to finish the trilogy, but had to settle with the damn DUB...ugh...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Demiurge
Ronin

Post by Demiurge »

Didn't the third version (second and final fix) still have some issues? For all these years I've been under the impression that is the one I have, but while it's okay for the most part there are still bits of dialogue that aren't translated. If there is a "perfect" one I don't have... well that's a bummer.

gojiragetsaround
Young Farmer

Post by gojiragetsaround »

I bought 2 and both had a problem with the subs. They were from Amazon though, so I wonder if I bought straight from Mill Creek if they would be fixed. I guess I could always watch my ADV discs

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

They e-mailed me back saying they no longer have the license and can't help me. So I'm basically screwed. I just cannot STAND the dub of Gamera 3, especially. "THIS IS SO SCARY HUHUHUH". Ugh.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Everything is resolved now, right? Is the correct version on the market? I'm thinking about purchasing a new copy and would like to avoid running into this issue again. I must have one of the early copies because the subtitles are terrible. Sadly that's the only option because mine does not have a dub.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Yikes. I still haven’t watched mine, no idea if it’s a replacement or not.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Mill Creek's GAMERA 3's Blu-ray subs are nothing compared to the GAMERA LEGACY COLLECTION DVD... Those subs are a mess: they're out of sync, the size is so small, it's the same subscripts as the Shout! Factory subtitles.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I bought a new copy. Thankfully the subs are synced this time. Although the entire trilogy needs a new release. Better quality video/audio and additional special features. I believe the entire Gamera series just received a 4K upgrade in Japan not too long ago. Just slap on some English subtitles and drop it in the West. Mil Creek no longer has the distribution rights. Maybe Criterion can snatch them up. At least the Heisei Trilogy.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I always considered buying a new copy, but wasn't sure if I was just going to get screwed over and get another defective copy.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

kamilleblu wrote:I believe the entire Gamera series just received a 4K upgrade in Japan not too long ago.
While I'm not entirely sure, I think that only the Heisei films and Brave got a 4K treatment. None of the Showa movies got 4K upgrades, so I think that even Japan is stuck with the same 1080i masters of the Showa films that Mill Creek gave us.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/DAXA-5012

Note that these are remastered standard Blu-rays, not 4k UltraHD discs.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Joseph Goodman wrote:http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/DAXA-5012

Note that these are remastered standard Blu-rays, not 4k UltraHD discs.
That's a hefty price tag. But the special features are rather tempting. Are there any trailers or clips of the digitally restored footage?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Maritonic wrote:I always considered buying a new copy, but wasn't sure if I was just going to get screwed over and get another defective copy.
If I ever buy the boxset that includes all of the Showa and Heisei films, and want to get rid of my old copy of G3, i'll keep you in mind. I've just been lazy on upgrading because the Showa films are only in 1080i resolution and don't include any of the dubs.

My copy is the second revision though, not the third. The second was fine, but still had some small issues. Nowhere near as bad as the original pressing though.
Last edited by Goji on Mon May 07, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I bought the boxset with all the Showa and Heisei films around December of 2016 and the subs have a few typos here and there but they're not terrible. You can still understand everything the characters are saying.
Last edited by KillCrites on Mon May 07, 2018 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Maritonic wrote:I always considered buying a new copy, but wasn't sure if I was just going to get screwed over and get another defective copy.
The non-defective copies have "63054-12-A" on the disc:
Resized Image
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life