Mandela Effect in Godzilla

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KingKaiju
Futurian

Re: Mandela Effect in Godzilla

Post by KingKaiju »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:So I remember seeing it and remembering that Godzilla freezes, then breaks apart, and out of the dust Godzilla junior arises and the move ends.
That sounds awesome. I wonder if it's possible for someone to edit it together like that, lol.
Yeah, when I finally saw the full movie, years later, I was a little underwhelmed. hahahahaha

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I have a VIVID memory of Mechagodzilla II coming out of the ground, rising up on a launch pad, in black and white, from like a bit of a distance.

This is from early childhood. To my knowledge, no such scene exists, and may have been a promotional commercial shot for a TV marathon.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LockBite wrote:
I remember seeing a broadcast version of a Godzilla movie where Godzilla fights Anguirus and breaks his jaw. I found out later that this was the Fake Godzilla in Mechagodzilla when I watched the actual film, but when I did, the scene played out differently. In my memory, they were fighting on an outcropping on the side of a mountain, and most notably, it was at night. Other than those two details, it was basically the same.
Now, see, this one is interesting, because I also remembered a mountain being involved in this battle. I first saw vs. Mechagodzilla at the age of about eight, in '97 or '98, and didn't see it again until somewhere in the mid-2000s. My recollection of the first viewing had a distance shot of Anguirus on the left side of the screen, walking along a barren, sandy mountain side and kind of minding his own business, when Fake Godzilla approaches him from the right and attacks. I didn't remember any of the fight beyond that, though, and was surprised to find how differently it actually plays out upon later viewings.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

JAGzilla wrote:
LockBite wrote:
I remember seeing a broadcast version of a Godzilla movie where Godzilla fights Anguirus and breaks his jaw. I found out later that this was the Fake Godzilla in Mechagodzilla when I watched the actual film, but when I did, the scene played out differently. In my memory, they were fighting on an outcropping on the side of a mountain, and most notably, it was at night. Other than those two details, it was basically the same.
Now, see, this one is interesting, because I also remembered a mountain being involved in this battle. I first saw vs. Mechagodzilla at the age of about eight, in '97 or '98, and didn't see it again until somewhere in the mid-2000s. My recollection of the first viewing had a distance shot of Anguirus on the left side of the screen, walking along a barren, sandy mountain side and kind of minding his own business, when Fake Godzilla approaches him from the right and attacks. I didn't remember any of the fight beyond that, though, and was surprised to find how differently it actually plays out upon later viewings.
That... kinda sounds familiar to me, too, actually.

Are we sure this isn't like TNG: Schisms, or Close Encounters, and it's just a sign that we've all been experimented on by the same aliens? :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Weird. Could it be that there's some old, unofficial edit of the movie floating around out there, and it managed to worm its way into official circulation here and there? The version of the movie I saw was a VHS from the library.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

JAGzilla wrote:
LockBite wrote:
Sounds like the opening of the movie where Anguirus is wondering around at night and witnesses a mountain mysteriously explode.
You've conflated this scene with the later fight with Mechagodzilla.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Possible, but I don't think so. The camera angles there were nothing like what I remember, and obviously Godzilla wasn't involved. The logical backup option is that I was remembering a scene from GRA taking place in GvMG, but I first watched GRA in 2011, so that can't be it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote:Could it be that there's some old, unofficial edit of the movie floating around out there, and it managed to worm its way into official circulation here and there?
No.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:Could it be that there's some old, unofficial edit of the movie floating around out there, and it managed to worm its way into official circulation here and there?
No.
But that's such a boring answer.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

JAGzilla wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
No.
:lol: I mean stranger things have happened, and the VHS era of Godzilla distribution has a very weird, bootleg-filled history. I wouldn’t say it’s impossible.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
No.
:lol: I mean stranger things have happened, and the VHS era of Godzilla distribution has a very weird, bootleg-filled history. I wouldn’t say it’s impossible.
I mean, sure, I guess its possible somebody rearranged the scenes to make it flow that way in a bootleg that got widely distributed. But why would somebody do that? It'd require chopping the opening, and the scenes wouldn't even match (Considering the fight between Anguirus and Fake Godzilla takes place in broad daylight). What I don't get about the whole Mandela effect is how people insist what they remember had to have been true, whether it be alternate universes or bootleg copies, and not just something they misremembered.

Anyways, I always thought the scene in King Kong vs. Godzilla where Kong and Godzilla go tumbling down the mountain and into the water was fully-animated (Not stop-motion, full-fledged animation). I might have been getting it confused with the infamous "drop tail kick" bit, which is of course stop-motion, but not hand-drawn animation obviously.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

In this case, though, we have three people misremembering the same scene in approximately the same way. Two would be a coincidence, but three is a pattern... *insert spooky, mysterious background music here*

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

JAGzilla wrote:In this case, though, we have three people misremembering the same scene in approximately the same way. Two would be a coincidence, but three is a pattern... *insert spooky, mysterious background music here*
I always knew TK was secretly the Twilight Zone....
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

JAGzilla wrote:In this case, though, we have three people misremembering the same scene in approximately the same way. Two would be a coincidence, but three is a pattern... *insert spooky, mysterious background music here*
I'm telling you, aliens. :)

To be fair, mine is more of a hazy sense of slight familiarity as filtered through trying to remember how I had remembered it a little over a year ago, before I rewatched it and got a more accurate memory of the scene that could be coloring how I now remember what I remembered then. So it's two-and-a-half at best. :)

Memory is a funny thing...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

That's the curious thing about the Mandela Effect and why it has a name: it's not just misremembering of things and events, it's collective misremembering. Groups of people are misremembering the same way. That's how the conspiracy theory-ish ("It must be parallel universes!") nonsense came about, because some people can't accept that multiple people can misremember in such similar ways. :lol:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Young memories are especially faulty. Sorry but there's no reason to entertain the idea of an alternate version of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla until someone can provide some real evidence.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Is it possible you guys are remembering commercials/advertisements for the films in question? Different scenes, melding together, add to that young minds and old memories.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Not for me. I don't think I was aware that GvsMG existed prior to renting the VHS. Which was actually from Blockbuster, now that I think about it, not the library.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I strangely remember recalling KKvG having clips of G54 and King Kong 1933 as stock footage in the American version.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I remember Godzilla vs. Mothra II featuring the 84-91 goji roar, but in reality that’s when they went back to one more akin to the standard roar.