Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Ouch, new BO numbers aren't looking great.
Spoiler:
guess it died alongside mako in a fiery crash
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

On the bright side all the new kaiju and jaegers make for some wonderful fantasy matches!
-Gypsy Danger vs Avenger?
-Leatherback vs Raijin?
-Mega-Kaiju vs G2014?

The fanfiction we can derive from this won't be half bad either.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Just came back from seeing it......It wasn't good.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

ernesth100 wrote:On the bright side all the new kaiju and jaegers make for some wonderful fantasy matches!
Evergreen TK post.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Cookson wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Cookson wrote:a film needs to at least double its budget +20-30m to be considered possibly breaking even(us as non industry people will never know exact numbers).
As I said in my earlier post its usually

2X the budget the film breaks even
2.5X the budget, the film is a modest hit
3X the budget the film is a legit hit. What I mean by legit hit is that it makes enough of a profit where the investment was worthwhile.

This is all covered in the book The Hollywood Economist
I know, but we don't know exact numbers. My personal rule is X2 the budget +20-30m

As I'm typing this, Saturdays number in China just popped up. Only 2.82m. Might not even make 100m there.
Like I posted above, It just can't even begin to compare to the first one.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Jomei wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:On the bright side all the new kaiju and jaegers make for some wonderful fantasy matches!
Evergreen TK post.
Can you blame me though. :lol:
Last edited by ernesth100 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just saw the film yesterday I think I had more fun with this one than the original. Wish the film would have done better as a Pac Rim 3 could have been fun.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

miguelnuva wrote:Just saw the film yesterday I think I had more fun with this one than the original. Wish the film would have done better as a Pac Rim 3 could have been fun.
Same. A shame especially since Boyega would've finally been the star of his own franchise if they continued down his route. Loved his character.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I know this is blasphemy to say PRU did something else better than Pacific Rim but I'll say it. As much as I love Mako her story kinda ends either with her striking and killing Otachi or when she's shuttled out of Gipsy and Raleigh goes into the Anteverse. She's done, she got to strike back against the Kaiju. She is in danger so Raleigh needs to get her out of there and he can carry on to the Anteverse. She doesn't really help him with the final leg of the mission.

Amara on the other hand really feels essential to saving everyone. Jake just doesn't have what it takes to use Gipsy on his own. Amara helps him to Drift and then the two work together to take out the Mega Kaiju, she suggests using the plasma cannon to realign and the two are ready to give their lives to save the world. You know this teamwork is kind of foreshadowed at the start when they work pretty well together against Novemeber Ajax. Despite having like a trillion writers this movie is pretty darn tricky...But sure...let's make 5 Bayformers movies people would rather see those.

And I'll admit Amara was a little more annoying when we first meet her. 'Old enough to kick your ass!' I mean yeah I think that's what a 15 year old living on the streets would say to sound tough. But she got better pretty quickly for me. I'll take Amara over Sam Whitwicky ANY day of the week for a teenage lead.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Spoiler:
You know, the mega-kaiju should've split apart once it made it's move to Mt. Fuji, definitely would've fixed the Precursors problem.

Too bad this "kaiju" franchise is gonna die.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Was there any reason Del Toro didn't return for this movie?
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Loganrules115 wrote:Was there any reason Del Toro didn't return for this movie?
Likely scheduling conflicts with a healthy does of not wanting to deal with the studio's bullshit.

Keep in mind, Del Toro had been trying to make this film for over five years. It wasn't until around the time he started working on Shape of Water that Warner/Legendary finally decided "alright, let's do it".

The radio silence from Del Toro regarding this film definitely seems to indicate his feelings towards it.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maybe the fact that he’s now an oscar winmer means he’ll have an easier time making bigger budget genre movies, if he’s still interested. It would be cool if he became like a Spielberg and went back and forth between the genre blockbusters and the dramatic Oscar movies, with enough clout to do both exactly how he wanted.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Loganrules115 wrote:Was there any reason Del Toro didn't return for this movie?

“The timing started to suck. I had this little movie that I wanted to do—The Shape of Water—very, very much. At one point it was Justice League Dark or Pacific Rim, I said, ‘Let’s go to Pacific Rim.’ The reality is they said, ‘We’re gonna need to postpone,’ because they were changing hands—Legendary was going to be sold to China, to a Chinese company [called the Wanda Group]. They said, ‘We’ve gotta wait nine months’ and I said, ‘I’m not waiting nine months, I’m shooting a movie,’ and I went and shot [The Shape of Water] and we chose Steven DeKnight.”

“It was such a great choice. I mean I love [DeKnight], love what he does, I think he’s really brilliant. He’s making it his own. I’m not breathing over his shoulder saying, ‘What are you doing? What are you doing?’ He’s doing things differently and I like that. When I produce I try to produce the way I would like to be produced. I say to everyone I produce, ‘If you need me I will be there 100% all the time. If you don’t need me, I’m not there. You show me the cut then we’ll start interacting.”

“It’s going great. I see dailies every day, I see early cuts, I see teasers. They’re doing great. It lets him have his style, lets him have his notion of the characters. I wrote a screenplay, developed two or three drafts of that screenplay—this is different than what I developed, and I’m OK. A producer is in the corner, the director is in the ring. The producer’s not getting the punches, the director is, so shut up, wait in the corner, refresh the towel and wait for the director to come to you.”

http://collider.com/why-guillermo-del-t ... /#uprising
Last edited by Chris55 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Yeah, I feel like we aren't getting a 3rd sadly...
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

If I could have a Super Robot Wars video game equivalent for monster movies and Pacific Rim Uprising was part of the cast I'd have Gipsy Avenger's ultimate move be latching onto a rocket and flying through an enemy unit. That'd be a very sweet final move, only used once unless the player can restore the units attack points. I'd also probably have
Spoiler:
a tricky secret route where Mako Mori turns out to be alive. Raleigh comes out of retirement and the two pilot a repaired and un-kaijued Obsidian Fury for the last few levels.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Gothicserpent wrote:Yeah, I feel like we aren't getting a 3rd sadly...
Maybe a cartoon show would work.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I could live with an epic comic book final battle.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gothicserpent wrote:Yeah, I feel like we aren't getting a 3rd sadly...
Yeah real shame, I'd love to see Del Toro an his team return to do PR3.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Just saw it. I give it a 6.5 out of a 10. Pacific Rim was an 8 for me. Would have loved a third, but that's not happening.
Spoilers:

Liked the Kaiju and the jaegers. The Returning characters are fun as usual, but john boyega was the only new character I liked. The rest annoyed me or I was indifferent. Also the ending was a little anti-climatic for me. Finally, the drones and Obsidian Fury were really under utilized.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.