Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

Ron Burton wrote:This movie is one of my favorites in the series! I vividly remember watching it under the title GODZILLA VS. BIONIC MONSTER at the theater in late December of 1976. Every written source lists it as having been released in the USA in March of 1977 but that's not true. I miss those days when a Godzilla movie could get a theatrical release.
I've never even heard of the movie ever being referred to as that, glad to have learned that
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Mechagodzilla was amazing, and a really formidable opponent which is the highlight of the film.

The build up and amount of time focused on the build up for King Caesar versus his actual contributions to the fight made it seem rather silly. Not to mention the alien invasion plot-line stretched really REALLY thin by this point.

Still one of my favorites of the Showa Era.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

One thing that really struck me was how brutal and realistic the human fight scenes were. Bashing each other on the head, squeezing the temples, trying to suffocate the other guy with a couch pillow, it was definitely not the kiddie stuff you’d expect from this type of movie. Then there was the arterial spray from aliens and kaiju alike. And to think, despite all that, it still comes off almost as lighthearted as something like Son of Godzilla. One of the most purely fun Godzilla movies, and probably in the top 5 of the Showa era. :g64:

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

This is my favorite of the Showa era. There are some questions about it,
Spoiler:
how did they make a doppelganger of Godzilla when they just got to the planet for the first time, for example,
but the buildup to the new kaiju (at that moment in time) were great (especially Mechagodzilla), and the fight scenes here were the best of the Showa era (especially the final battle). The "new" kaiju themselves were among my favorite antagonist and ally kaiju respectively with how unique the two were. The suits and special effects were good. Finally, the simple plot meant a lot of time was given to the kaiju, which is appreciated.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Man, i don't think you need a spoiler tag for a movie that is 44 years old. Haha.

If I remember correctly, they clearly had been on Earth for a minute because they had a whole base and everything. I could be wrong about that, though. But even if they weren't, they had to be observing Earth in some capacity enough so to create Mechagodzilla himself. So making the "doppelganger" costume for the cosmic monster isn't so outlandish. Unless you're asking about Mechagodzilla himself. In which case, I'd surmise that you don't invade without observing. Analyzing your biggest obstacle is Godzilla. To defeat him, create your own.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Terror of Mechagodzilla retroactively established that the space men were on Earth for many years before they launched their insurrection, making contacts with people like Dr. Mafune.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Ivo-goji wrote:Terror of Mechagodzilla retroactively established that the space men were on Earth for many years before they launched their insurrection, making contacts with people like Dr. Mafune.
I've revisited Terror more recently than the original so I could be confusing that. Do they say in the first that they just *pop* show up?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Maritonic wrote:Do they say in the first that they just *pop* show up?
No, but the extent of the operations is left pretty ambiguous in the first movie.

The main hint that they've been around for a long time in GvsMG is that Interpol is already hot on their heels- and Nanbara appears to have prior experience dealing with them.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

It would be an interesting ret-con if they arrived in the post-Son of Godzilla gap; maybe even because word somehow spread that Godzilla had been neutralized (and a few years later, they found to their dismay that he actually hadn't- perhaps just as their observations were complete and they were gearing up to attack). They've been observing Godzilla and Earth the whole time- possibly even re-directed a Hedorah seed to Earth to try and take Godzilla out; but when their slow, careful plans got waylaid by the Hunter M Nebula Aliens, Seatopian attacks, and Garoga, they recognized that they could have a battle on their hands no matter who triumphed... thus, they created a champion that could fight off rival aliens by posing as the most feared defender of Earth (for psychological warfare, and to prevent the Earth forces from attacking him, too), or be used to take out said defender if he emerged triumphant.

Then they fortified, sat back, and waited for the rivals to sort themselves out one by one, building a network of contacts like Mafune, attracting the attention of interpol... until finally, the repeat-threat Gigan had been destroyed, the Zone Family had departed, and the board was clear of challengers; and at last it was time to make their move. Which just left one threat to attend to; the prophecy that their network of human contacts had recently uncovered. The last potential rival for domination of the Earth- once Godzilla himself was dealt with.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Maritonic wrote:Man, i don't think you need a spoiler tag for a movie that is 44 years old. Haha.

If I remember correctly, they clearly had been on Earth for a minute because they had a whole base and everything. I could be wrong about that, though. But even if they weren't, they had to be observing Earth in some capacity enough so to create Mechagodzilla himself. So making the "doppelganger" costume for the cosmic monster isn't so outlandish. Unless you're asking about Mechagodzilla himself. In which case, I'd surmise that you don't invade without observing. Analyzing your biggest obstacle is Godzilla. To defeat him, create your own.
Probably not, but there are people who haven't seen it so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We're never given a specific time, though I'd wager it had been years considering the high-tech lab and robot. You'd think they'd caught eventually (especially since injuring them is all it takes to mess up their camouflage). Same goes for studying Godzilla. You bring up a good point as do the other people who posted after you, but that's bound to get them caught if the humans learned anything from previous invasions given the amount of time they would need.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Well, Ivo brings up a good point that I'd forgotten that Interpol was close to them in the film. So they were close to getting caught.

It's tricky when you consider past alien interactions, though I suppose no one had tried to invade in the same way as these guys.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Maritonic wrote:Well, Ivo brings up a good point that I'd forgotten that Interpol was close to them in the film. So they were close to getting caught.

It's tricky when you consider past alien interactions, though I suppose no one had tried to invade in the same way as these guys.
Previous aliens had attacked from right under their noses before (Xiliens and Kilaakians, for example). They should be able to detect when something is amiss easier by that point. The Black Hole Aliens had a different strategy, but it's similar to how others had attacked. Also, with all the kaiju roaming around Earth combined with how brittle the disguise was during the fight with Anguirus, their cover should've been blown sooner (especially since Mechagodzilla seemed to have appeared on Monster Island.)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I guess the filmmakers just didn't care.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Maritonic wrote:I guess the filmmakers just didn't care.
I'd like to think they didn't consider all these different angles. Still love the movie, though.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

And neither did their target audience.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Is it possible to learn this power?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Not from a G-Fan...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Not from a G-Fan...
Hey, I didn't mind. Just questions that buzzed in my head (it happens when you're a nerd).

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

HillyHulk wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Not from a G-Fan...
Hey, I didn't mind. Just questions that buzzed in my head (it happens when you're a nerd).
A true nerd would have caught the reference...

You have failed me for the last time.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Maritonic wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Not from a G-Fan...
A true nerd would have caught the reference...

You have failed me for the last time.
Darn it, didn't even recognize that as a reference!