Say something positive about post-1991 Heisei

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Say something positive about post-1991 Heisei

Post by Maritonic »

I actually enjoyed all the Super X weapons in the Heisei series. They were strong enough to give Godzilla a fight, but not outlandish enough to totally wipe him out. I find they're actually often over looked in discussions of the series.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Maritonic wrote:I actually enjoyed all the Super X weapons in the Heisei series. They were strong enough to give Godzilla a fight, but not outlandish enough to totally wipe him out. I find they're actually often over looked in discussions of the series.
I agree, they tend to be overshadowed by the mechs, but they’re rather interesting anti-Godzilla weapons. I hope they, or something similar to them, show up in a future film.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

More the heisei films in general, but this era is when Godzilla’s ray became truly badass. To quote DeathBattle, “a goddamn laser beam of destruction”.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Really appreciate the redesigns of the classic monsters (except Rodan) and a lot of the new monsters like SpaceG and Battra look great too. Wish the suits were less stiff
why did i have to be the chosen one?

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

The monster designs were pretty cool but they needed to have more mobility

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Godzilla vs Destoroyah is the highlight of this "sub-era", so it has that going for it.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

- The fight between MOGUERA and Spacegodzilla.
- Burning Godzilla
- Little Godzilla.
- Godzilla Junior
- The Mothra song in GvM.
- Emiko returning in GvD.
- Shinkichi's life after 1954 being elaborated on in GvD.
- The recreated Yamane house set in GvD.
- Rodan holding his own against Godzilla.
- The consistent Godzilla design.
- The music in all the films.
- The end credits sequence of GvD.
- The opening of GvMG93.
- The monster gore.
Last edited by Cybermat47 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

The climax of Godzilla vs Destoroyah featured the best Heisei fight since Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The scene with Godzilla and Mr. Shindo in Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah might be my favorite scene in the entire Godzilla series.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GojiDog wrote:The scene with Godzilla and Mr. Shindo in Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah might be my favorite scene in the entire Godzilla series.
I agree completely, actually. Granted, I'm a bit biased towards loving Vs. King Ghidorah, but this is one of my favorite scenes.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
GojiDog wrote:The scene with Godzilla and Mr. Shindo in Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah might be my favorite scene in the entire Godzilla series.
I agree completely, actually. Granted, I'm a bit biased towards loving Vs. King Ghidorah, but this is one of my favorite scenes.
I'm right there with you guys.

However, this thread is specifically about movies made after GvsKG.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I'm right there with you guys.

However, this thread is specifically about movies made after GvsKG.
Oh wow, you're right, lol. Sorry, I wasn't wearing my glasses when I read the thread and I thought it said "Post 1990" in the topic title, haha.

So OK, nice thing about the films post 91.

I always appreciated that the Heisei Series kept a close continuity between the films. In the Showa series, the continuity from film to film was, at best, loose which makes sense given what cinema was like back then. Before home video was a thing, it wasn't as important to keep details tight from film to film because moviegoers weren't going to remember everything.

But by this point, keeping continuity was the best way to go. GVKG time travel issues aside, I thought the whole of the series works as a cohesive timeline of events from Godzilla's return to his death at the end of GvD. It was also neat to have that cause and effect aspect between the films. The Mecha Ghidorah technology is used to set up and make Mechagodzilla two films later. Biollante's demise is used to set up Spacegodzilla 4 films later. I love how Gondo's rinky dink Anti-Godzilla operation in GvB eventually evolves into an international coalition by GvMG93. And all the while, you have Miki Segusa and other recurring characters to glue the whole thing together. Oh and the Son of Godzilla actually grows up with each additional sequel, which is a plus. (seriously, did Minilla just not grow from 1967 to 1999? Is the Godzilla in DAM actually Minilla from SoG and the Minilla in that film is a new son or what?).

In comparing them to the Millennium series, the lack of connection between the Millennium films (Tokyo SOS being the exception) was very distracting for me as they had to start off every film explaining what Godzilla is and what the current status in the fight against him is and explaining the current scenario blah blah blah, exposition of things that get explained all the time. The Heisei films never had that issue because we get all the set up in G84, and everything just kind of evolved from there.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

Although it's a much more serious era, it still can have cute things here and there. Little Godzilla and Dorats just look adorable! Though most don't agree that Dorat's are cute.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Questionable execution aside, I like that they expanded Mothra's power set. The Rebirth trilogy took it a little far, but the basic idea of Mothra possessing a beam weapon and/or other high-end, outlandish abilities is one I can get behind. She is, after all, more of a goddess than a typical kaiju, and some flashy, mystical powers seem appropriate for such a being. I'd love to see an incarnation of Mothra that finds a successful balance between the melee & wind standby of traditional versions and the energy-slinging power of the '90s, capable of going toe-to-toe with Godzilla and not having to fall into the same old underdog role.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

LegendZilla wrote:I already set up a thread to talk about the positives of the Heisei as a whole.
That thread kinda dried up when no positives could be found :lol:
(jk)

Battra was a cool addition to the kingdom of monsters.

The score in GvMG was pretty cool I guess.

Burning Godzilla was cool to look at, all Godzillas need a glowy effect.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Destoroyah had the best production effort put into it post-91 (maybe better than Ghidorah) and is probably my second favorite after Biollante. You could tell with Spacegodzilla that the crew was burnt out and kinda done with this series, but when it was clear that Destoroyah was the last one, they obviously regained their resolve to give Godzilla a proper sendoff.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

3RD Favorite after 1985 Godzilla and 1994 SpaceGodzilla
Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

LockBite wrote:Destoroyah had the best production effort put into it post-91 (maybe better than Ghidorah) and is probably my second favorite after Biollante. You could tell with Spacegodzilla that the crew was burnt out and kinda done with this series, but when it was clear that Destoroyah was the last one, they obviously regained their resolve to give Godzilla a proper sendoff.
I don't know. Vs Destoroyah is pretty sloppy.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

kamilleblu wrote:
LockBite wrote:Destoroyah had the best production effort put into it post-91 (maybe better than Ghidorah) and is probably my second favorite after Biollante. You could tell with Spacegodzilla that the crew was burnt out and kinda done with this series, but when it was clear that Destoroyah was the last one, they obviously regained their resolve to give Godzilla a proper sendoff.
I don't know. Vs Destoroyah is pretty sloppy.
There are definitely parts that show off the time constraints the crew was under, like the use of crappy models, but visually it overall was better than anything since Ghidorah. I last saw it maybe a year ago and there are some terrible shots, but every Heisei film has those.

G&G-Fan
Monsterland Worker

Post by G&G-Fan »

I think Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah are very good movies. GVMGII is my favorite movie and GVD is my fourth favorite. Godzilla vs. Mothra and Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla are alright.

-Both GVMGII and GVD have very interesting stories and very good pacing.
-They have spectacular special effects and fight scenes (both fights in GVM, Godzilla vs. Rodan, Rodan vs. Mechagodzilla, both fights between Godzilla and Mechagodzilla, Godzilla's resurrection, the Burning Godzilla exploding simulation, Godzilla Junior vs. Destoroyah, Burning Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, Godzilla's meltdown). GVM and GVD occasionally have not the most convincing shots, but the amazing special effects everywhere else make up for it, and the effects in GVMGII and GVSG are very solid.
-The suits, animatronics, and sets are very well made. I thought the Adonoa Island and Birth Island sets were real islands!
-GVM, GVMGII, and GVD have amazing scores. GVSG's is pretty good, but nothing beats Ifukube.
-Both GVMGII and GVD have some very emotional/beautiful scenes (Godzilla and Baby Godzilla's scene, Junior's Death, Godzilla's death).
-They have likeable characters.
-These movies are very well connected to their predecessors, creating a very tight continuity, which is one of the entire series' biggest strengths.
-GVMGII has my favorite Godzilla design, and Burning Godzilla is badass and very well executed.
-GVMGII has the most Godzilla screentime, part of the reason why the movie is so well paced.
-The animatronic Godzilla head looks excellent and is very well executed, allowing him to show emotions and be expressive, when in The Return of Godzilla, it just looks like a robot, the one in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is just laughable (https://i.imgflip.com/1pbxtj.jpg He's supposed to be roaring here, but it looks like he's saying "Say whaaaat!"), and he isn't at all expressive in the Showa films. The one in Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is as good as the other post-1984 Heisei ones, though.
-GVMGII has my favorite Mechagodzilla. Having it be built from the remains of Mecha-King Ghidorah is genius and very creative (because, unlike Kiryu, it actually makes sense how the Japanese government is able to build a super advanced Godzilla robot) and so is having it combine with the Garuda, which makes it even cooler.
-GVMGII has my favorite incarnation of Rodan.
-I love Baby Godzilla, Little Godzilla, and Godzilla Junior. He's my favorite version of the son of Godzilla.
-The prehistoric plant from GVMGII is very imaginative and creative, and the song it plays is absolutely beautiful.
-Battra is awesome.
-GVM has my favorite incarnation of Mothra.
-SpaceGodzilla is pretty awesome. I also love his personality.
-Destoroyah is my favorite kaiju besides Godzilla. His design is badass and the suit is just amazing. I love how he has multiple forms, and being created from the oxygen destroyer is just ingenious.
-The Garuda and the Super X III are cool.
-Miki and Azusa's bond with Baby Godzilla is touching. I like how Miki is actually given a good role in GVMGII and GVD.
-Kazuma is a genuinely funny character. His interactions with the commander are just hilarious ("Well, where were you, off on another vacation?" genuinely makes me laugh hard).
-Yuki is a pretty interesting character and sometimes funny.
-Kensaku is a good character. He seems to genuinely respect Serizawa and his work and wants to make the world a better place with Micro-Oxygen, but when he finds out Destoroyah was the result of the Oxygen Destroyer, stops his research to benefit mankind, just like how Serizawa sacrificed his work to make sure it wouldn't cause chaos. Unlike Serizawa, he found out that what Serizawa discovered did have benefits for society, but like Serizawa, realized the destruction it could create way outweighed the benefits.
-GVD shows what happened to the Yamane family, even having Emiko in the film (played by the same actress!), and the descendants of Dr. Yamane play a key role, with Kenichi pretty much saving the world from Godzilla exploding and causing the destruction of the entire Earth. I also liked how instead of going the generic, predictable route like most Godzilla love stories, they did something interesting and actually had Emiko not marry Ogata.
-GVD's tie-ins with the original film (especially the oxygen destroyer) are very ingenious and well written. The intro is absolutely amazing, with the oxygen destroyer and the original Gojira title card. They literally have Dr. Yamane's room from the original film, with the Stegosaurus skeleton and everything! Great attention to detail, and it shows how much the producers respected the original film. This alone makes it a more worthy successor of the original, let alone the entire series, despite a couple mediocre installments (GVM and GVSG), is much more solid than the Showa series (in which more than half of it's installments are just embarrassments to the franchise that ruined it's reputation among the general public).
-In GVMGII, Godzilla's motivation to protect and reunite with an infant of his own kind after being lonely and consumed with hate and rage for the majority of his life makes the story very compelling. Godzilla goes through so much pain to find and protect Baby Godzilla, and when he does, his hate for humanity washes away, because he finally has another purpose in life: raising his son. I love the shades of grey aspect of the film as well.
-GVD has a very emotionally driven story, due to the unfortunate things that happen to both Godzilla and his son. They went from their highest point in GVSG, where it looked like they could finally live in peace, to their lowest point in mere seconds. And when Godzilla and his son reunite and it looks like it could not be as bad, then comes Destoroyah, who kills the only thing that Godzilla ever loved, leaving Godzilla in the state of rage and hatred he was pre-GVMGII with only one thing left to live for: killing Destoroyah. Heart breaking, and so is Godzilla's death. I cried, and it's very hard for a movie to make me cry. The only other motion picture that has done it is the ending of the last episode of Walking with Dinosaurs. The CGI during Godzilla's meltdown is better than any of the CGI in the Millennium series (especially 2000 and Megaguirus.... just ewwww).
-I love Godzilla's character ark in this series, and GVMGII and GVD are very essential in this very well done ark. The series kept him as a dangerous creature representing the consequences of nuclear war that he's supposed to be, and at times, when it did look at his softer side, it did it realistically, depicting Godzilla as a protective and territorial animal that cares deeply for his adopted son. I love how in the first four films, we see him as a rage-filled destroyer, and then when Baby comes into the picture, he becomes more of an anti-hero. He shows emotion, has motivation, and has an ark. He's a character. No other series did that. The Showa series had the potential to, but ended up just making him whatever the script demanded him to (Son of Godzilla makes it look like he becomes a caring father, but suddenly in Hedorah, he's all about saving the environment, in Gigan and Megalon, he's just chilling with Anguirus on Monster Island, and in Mechagodzilla, he lives inside of a building. Wtf happened?! Did Godzilla just abandon his son for the next 31 years? And before you bring it up, Godzilla would occasionally check on Little Godzilla, and even when he wasn't on Birth Island, he was right there in the ocean nearby in case his son was in any danger. The Showa Godzilla doesn't have a set personality, he just does whatever the story needs him to), and the Millennium has no continuity which prevents Godzilla from having any sort of ark, just being a plot device (Godzilla appears at the most convenient time ever, right when Kiryu is done so it to show off in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. Godzilla's attack pattern makes no sense and has very convenient timing, which is just dumb, contrived writing. He's just an object for the screenwriters to have appear at a convenient time to get the plot going. That's not what Godzilla should be. Every single Heisei film had a good reason for Godzilla to be active at that time and place, preventing plot conveniences and making him like an actual, you know, living thing).

I love how you guys like to pretend you judge these movies based off of whether they have good characters with arks and character traits when the only Showa films that I can even remember the names of the characters are Gojira, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Invasion of the Astro Monster, and Terror of Mechagodzilla. For a lot of the other Showa films, none of them had any sort of ark, character traits, or did anything other than just progress the plot. I just remember them as the generic protagonist guy, the generic pretty woman, the generic sinister alien, the generic stupid kid that wears such short shorts it makes me feel like a pedophile for just watching the movie, or the generic intelligent professor. Either that or they are like Jar Jar Binks: memorable because they are so stupid, corny, and had funny lines, like the owner of the company from King Kong vs. Godzilla, the old Azumi dude from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, or the corn guy from Godzilla vs. Gigan. But I can remember the main characters from every Heisei and Millennium film. The characters from The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah are pretty much the same quality as the characters from the last four Heisei films, and so are the characters from the Millennium movies.

If I was told the last four Heisei films were directed by the same person who directed the first three, I wouldn't, by just watching the movies, be able to tell that wasn't the case. And GVMGII and GVD have almost the same scores on and IMDB as the first three Heisei films, and these films are very highly rated among Japanese critics and audiences, as well as most other sites, and pretty much every other place I've been to. In other words, these are not objectively bad films. All of the shit I see on this forum is just post-1991 Heisei hate agenda this hive-minded forum has.
Last edited by G&G-Fan on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.