Directors you want to see in the MonsterVerse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Directors you want to see in the MonsterVerse

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Opposite thread of the actors one. Assuming the MonsterVerse continues pass after Godzilla vs. Kong. What directors would you like to see tackle potential future installments in the MonsterVerse?

Discuss.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Directors you want to see in the MonsterVerse

Post by eabaker »

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

If, by some miracle, the monsterverse continues, I definitely think Guillermo Del Toro should have a go at it. His surreal and colorful style could work really well for a mothra movie, or something similar.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:If, by some miracle, the monsterverse continues, I definitely think Guillermo Del Toro should have a go at it. His surreal and colorful style could work really well for a mothra movie, or something similar.
I would like Del Toro to do Mothra or Gamera (though we'll never see Gamera in the MonsterVerse) standalone films. I'd rather him not touch Godzilla, though.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote:I would like Del Toro to do Mothra or Gamera (though we'll never see Gamera in the MonsterVerse) standalone films. I'd rather him not touch Godzilla, though.
With the latter I'd rather del Toro do an American Gamera film as its own although I don't oppose to Gamera being in the MonsterVerse especially if the cinematic universe moves on like the Showa series did with different themes. But I'd definitely be up for him doing an solo Mothra film with Desghidorah (As unlikely as it is) being the main baddie and Battra as an secondary antagonist.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I don't even know that I'd want Desghidorah or Battra in a Mothra film. I think I'd just like a standalone, Del Toro style, Mothra. No other monster. And if there was another, I'd like it to be an original monster, not another rehash of Ghidorah (as much as I worship Desghidorah's design).

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

The way I'd see Desghidorah is he'd basically be another Ghidorah species related to the one we all know and love like how humans/neanderthals, great apes and alligators/crocodiles are who could've been responsible for the dinosaurs extinction back then (While supposedly King Ghidorah was responsible for the Permian-Triassic Extinction hence responsible for the extinction of Godzilla's species which would be a good reason why Godzilla has a vendetta towards him and they fought over 10,000 years ago based on the cave paintings).

I respect your opinion though. ;)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Yeah I mean, that's all well and good, you don't need to justify how he would fit in a Mothra film, I mean he was in two of the three Return of Mothra films. I get why he's such an important character, and all that, and you have your head-canon and that's fine.
King Ghidorah is my personal favorite Godzilla character. With Desghidorah being my favorite design aside from the traditional one.
My thing is Ghidorah and Mothra are sort of over-used. Very over-used. I don't even *want* a solo Mothra film, but if Del Toro was to do anything MonsterVerse related, I'd want it to be that because I agree with Sensei that his style and visuals would be astounding in one.

I just want to see new kaiju, Battra I could get behind only because Battra was one and done. I'd rather not have *another* Ghidorah story in the Monsterverse. We need new faces, or at least old faces in the spotlight. It's like the constant over-use of The Joker in Batman; yes he's an INCREDIBLE villain, but there ARE other fantastic stories to be told.

Edit: I realize that, in text, this sounded rather hostile. Not even remotely my intent, just FYI.
Last edited by Maritonic on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Anyways who I'd want to see is Gareth Edwards returning to do an solo Loch Ness Monster movie set in the MonsterVerse. I wasn't a fan of him with his BS cutaways on Godzilla 2014 but I feel such a movie involving Nessie could work with that not showing the monster much especially to save money on CGI such as with an 50-80 million dollar budget (Which would help it at least do decent in the box office) by making it more character heavy and jaws-esque hide the monster which would work for Nessie unlike Godzilla because like the shark in Jaws. Nessie is an aquatic animal. This is one of those cases too where all seriousness could also work.

The reason I'd say it'd do pretty decent with an budget of 50-80 million is because it would draw in interest like Godzilla and Kong are cinema's most iconic monsters. Well Nessie and Bigfoot are the most iconic cryptids. People into crytozoology or monsters would be interested in such a film and feel there'd be enough folks to give it at least profit. Maybe not a big hit but to the point it'd still do decent never the less. That and people likes suspense which would work for such a film if it did the Jaws approach which would fit it due to Nessie's aquatic nature.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:51 am, edited 7 times in total.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I would love to see a dark, weird, twisted-looking Godizlla movie from Del Toro. But I don't know how well it'd work in with the Monsterverse.

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

A Denis Villeneuve kaiju flick would be a wonder to behold.
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

GojiraGuy2016
GPN Volunteer

Post by GojiraGuy2016 »

A fantastic idea for sure, but I think he will be similar to Gareth Edwards. I wouldn't mind personally.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Anyways who I'd want to see is Gareth Edwards returning to do an solo Loch Ness Monster movie set in the MonsterVerse. I wasn't a fan of him with his BS cutaways on Godzilla 2014 but I feel such a movie involving Nessie could work with that not showing the monster much especially to save money on CGI such as with an 50-80 million dollar budget (Which would help it at least do decent in the box office) by making it more character heavy and jaws-esque hide the monster which would work for Nessie unlike Godzilla because like the shark in Jaws. Nessie is an aquatic animal. This is one of those cases too where all seriousness could also work.

The reason I'd say it'd do pretty decent with an budget of 50-80 million is because it would draw in interest like Godzilla and Kong are cinema's most iconic monsters. Well Nessie and Bigfoot are the most iconic cryptids. People into crytozoology or monsters would be interested in such a film and feel there'd be enough folks to give it at least profit. Maybe not a big hit but to the point it'd still do decent never the less. That and people likes suspense which would work for such a film if it did the Jaws approach which would fit it due to Nessie's aquatic nature.
Hmmm excellent idea, sounds familiar :D But I think it'd work great if they could get him to do it, he might think he's "above" this sort of thing now that he's Mr. Star Wars. And Del Toro of course would be a dream pick, he has genuine love for the kaiju genre. Has anyone here seen Trollhunter? That was a surpringly good monster movie, with some deft camera work and good visuals on a small budget. It'd be cool to give that guy a shot, Ovredal I think his name is, if they end up doing spinoffs for Mothra or Nessie or whoever else someday, probably not a big enough name to helm a main Godzilla or Kong feature though.
Last edited by Relair on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Relair wrote:Hmmm excellent idea, sounds familiar :D But I think it'd work great if they could get him to do it, he might think he's "above" this sort of thing now that he's Mr. Star Wars. And Del Toro of course would be a dream pick, he has genuine love for the kaiju genre. Has anyone here seen Trollhunter? That was a surpringly good monster movie, with some deft camera work and good visuals on a small budget. It'd be cool to give that guy a shot, Ovredal I think his name is, if they end up doing spinoffs for Mothra or Nessie or whoever else someday, probably not a big enough name to helm a main Godzilla or Kong feature though.
What do you expect. I loved your ideal approach to a Nessie movie. It absolutely works and such a movie like this is perfect for Gareth's approach and tone. :huge:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Villeneuve would make an American Godzilla film that would resonate with audiences like the first and Shin did. It would be absolute kinography.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

GojiraGuy2016 wrote:A fantastic idea for sure, but I think he will be similar to Gareth Edwards. I wouldn't mind personally.
Villeneuve knows characters. Edwards does not. I greatly enjoy Edwards's work on Godzilla, but he can't hold a candle to Villeneuve when it comes to directing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Villeneuve would make an American Godzilla film that would resonate with audiences like the first and Shin did. It would be absolute kinography.
Plus, picture those visuals. *drools*
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: What do you expect. I loved your ideal approach to a Nessie movie. It absolutely works and such a movie like this is perfect for Gareth's approach and tone. :huge:
*virtual high-five!*

Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
GojiraGuy2016 wrote:A fantastic idea for sure, but I think he will be similar to Gareth Edwards. I wouldn't mind personally.
Villeneuve knows characters. Edwards does not. I greatly enjoy Edwards's work on Godzilla, but he can't hold a candle to Villeneuve when it comes to directing.
Thats not necessarily true, Monsters was pretty much entirely character driven and it was a really good movie. Even Godzilla had good ones, just not, unfortunately, the main one :/

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I'd love to see Jan de Bont return to the directing chair.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)