Say something positive about post-1991 Heisei

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Say something positive about post-1991 Heisei

Post by LockBite »

I’ve noticed that when people defend the Heisei series, they often point out the pre-Mothra films. After 1991, the Heisei series definitely underwent a downturn in quality, and aside from that, the post-Ghidorah films had a different, less gritty vibe. So let’s do something fun here: say nice things about the post-1991 Heisei era.
I’ll throw a few out there.

- Great music. Spacegodzilla’s theme, the emphasis on brass, that was a lot of fun.
- A feel for 90s Japan. Kind of a given, but these films did this particularly well. When I think of 90s Godzilla, he’s particularly synonymous with the zeitgeist of this setting.
- A sense of scale. Okay so this could be hit or miss, but here you had a lot of building-toppling and slow, heavy falls. You also have things like Godzilla ripping chunks off of Destoroyah, which comes off as something that would only happen that way in a kaiju fight.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Say something positive about post-1991 Heisei

Post by Zarm »

I agree about music in Spacegodzilla, and I would also say a lot of the cinematography on the island, particularly that one shot of Godzilla approaching it. There really are some gorgeous shots in the first act. Also, the Mothra summoning sequence in Battle for Earth is quite lovely.

Clever thread idea, LockBite!
Last edited by Zarm on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I don’t care what other people say, I like the post-1991 films. I think it’s very cool how Godzilla underwent a shift from hero to villain for the second time in his history during these movies, but in a much more subtle way. His character doesn’t actually change at all, the movies just suddenly start taking his side. Mechagodzilla really shouldn’t be the villain of GvMG2, if you stop and think about it, but the movie positions Mechagodzilla as such anywway.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Seeing a baby Godzilla evolve into a mature Godzilla.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

The main theme for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is one of my all time favorites in the entire franchise.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:The main theme for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is one of my all time favorites in the entire franchise.
I think these films have some of Ifukube’s finest work period. Certainly some of the best sounding recordings at least, because the technology was better.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'll do ya one for each film.

Godzilla vs. Mothra - Battra is an interesting and unique character that should've gotten a larger focus, perhaps as the villain of the first Rebirth of Mothra film instead.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - The main theme is really well done.

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla - More soundtrack praise, especially Spacegodzilla's themes.

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah - Great cinematography during Godzilla's death scene. Combined with the music, it's a top 5 moment in the series for me.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I actually would have loved to see Battra return in the Return of Mothra series. My ONLY complaint about Battra is the obvious use of Rodan's roars. I know a lot of kaiju reuse Rodan's roars, but Battra they didn't even try.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:My ONLY complaint about Battra is the obvious use of Rodan's roars. I know a lot of kaiju reuse Rodan's roars, but Battra they didn't even try.
There's actually a couple roars that don't really sound like Rodan at first glance (listen?). But I will say that a few of them aren't edited enough to keep the facade.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Incidentally, I suspect that I may be the only person in the history of nerdom to note only use Spacegodzilla's theme in a fan audio drama (for Star Wars), but actually commission several short fanfares with different tones from his leitmotif, from a composer-relative of mine. So, there's that floating around out there on the internet...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Noriyoshi Ohrai made amazing posters. Not just the best of the franchise. Some of the greatest movie posters period.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

It ended.

Tee hee.

Okay, but seriously; I think Godzilla Jr.'s arc was a highlight of the Heisei era. It was nice to see him grow over the course of the films, and seeing him die was a pretty heart-wrenching moment.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

They had the balls to kill Godzilla and Junior. The soundtracks are pretty good.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I already set up a thread to talk about the positives of the Heisei as a whole.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

LegendZilla wrote:I already set up a thread to talk about the positives of the Heisei as a whole.
I thought that eliminating the trio of superior films would make for a more challenging thread.
Last edited by LockBite on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

The Heisei series as a whole does a much better job of worldbuilding. The Shōwa series has a little bit, but it’s clear it wasn’t something the creators were thinking about all that hard, which I think is why it’s more pppular with fab head canons.

I honestly had no idea these films were thought of as inferior until I came to this site. I’ve always loved them.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Hong Kong Destruction is one of my favorite Godzilla soundtracks!

Battra, Mechagodzilla, SpaceGodzilla, and Destoroyah are awesome villains/antagonists.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

The Mechagodzilla suit is extremely impressive. I really see a robot when that thing moves.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Pteranodon robot

GojiraGuy2016
GPN Volunteer

Post by GojiraGuy2016 »

Well:

- a visit to Kyoto
- tooth and claw fight between Godzilla and Rodan
- return of MOGERA
- Super X III (I like such planes, shame that the F-117 is not in active service anymore)
- Battra
- Megumi Odaka continued as Miki until the end
- M11
- Kenji Sahara continued to appear
- Akira Nakao