GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse (novel)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse (novel)

Post by cloverfan98 »

If anyone is working on a translation I would KILL to read it!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

So, I'm getting the hundred and fifty nukes thing from the movie. There's no mention of the 2000 nukes, I assume that is reference as a separate incident in the novel? Do they mention which came first? If the 2000 were just used to essentially dig a pit, it might have been after they realized the hundred and fifty were useless on him... yet it would still seem strange for the characters in the film not to mention that second much larger attack or it's temporary success, only mentioning the smaller one...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Zarm wrote:So, I'm getting the hundred and fifty nukes thing from the movie. There's no mention of the 2000 nukes, I assume that is reference as a separate incident in the novel? Do they mention which came first? If the 2000 were just used to essentially dig a pit, it might have been after they realized the hundred and fifty were useless on him... yet it would still seem strange for the characters in the film not to mention that second much larger attack or it's temporary success, only mentioning the smaller one...
The second attack was aimed at the area not him.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

The book... in a nutshell!

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/4geo6O3pLgs[/YouTube]

Timeline of events from the novel
Last edited by Godzillian on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Zarm wrote:So, I'm getting the hundred and fifty nukes thing from the movie. There's no mention of the 2000 nukes, I assume that is reference as a separate incident in the novel? Do they mention which came first? If the 2000 were just used to essentially dig a pit, it might have been after they realized the hundred and fifty were useless on him... yet it would still seem strange for the characters in the film not to mention that second much larger attack or it's temporary success, only mentioning the smaller one...
The second strike was "only" used to bury him under the Himalayas, whereas the first was a direct attempt to kill him.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Ivo-goji wrote:
The second strike was "only" used to bury him under the Himalayas, whereas the first was a direct attempt to kill him.
He still had 2,000 nukes go off on him and around him.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Yeah the word "only" was in quotation marks for a reason.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think my copy will arrive when I get home, or tomorrow, so expect some sort of update or beginning tomorrow night.

Added in 1 day 21 hours 2 minutes 38 seconds:
Update: did not arrive yet, hopefully tomorrow or tuesday

Added in 6 days 8 hours 51 minutes 4 seconds:
-Update #0, Feb 10 2018:

The book has arrived! I will begin translating the first chapter tonight. I am confident in my abilities with Japanese, and I have access to some good kanji and Japanese disctionaries. If problems arise I will let you know. Most likely, I will also apply some artistic liberties, meaning the translation will not be exact. When I’m done with chapter 1, I’ll probably post it here. I have no problem posting it publically, but as more arises I’d like to compile it into a PDF for instant access for everyone.

Maybe I’m speaking to soon. We’ll just see how it goes for chapter one and if it’s well received I’ll continue and probably make a seperate thread.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

You got me excited! Count me down for this!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I hope the translating is going well, LSD.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Expect weekly updates. I intend to have something to show by next sat-Tuesday.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Looking forward to your translation, LSD Jellyfish.

Just as a side-note, I know some people have been curious about whether Biollante has any connection to Godzilla in the novel. One guy I know went into the Biollante chapter and translated word-for-word some stuff about Biollante, and it says she was "theorized" to be an "approximate species" to Godzilla, due to being plant-based and possessing a potent regenerative ability. So, no conclusive origin for Biollante or confirmed connection to Godzilla, but the novel does raise the possibility.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

:lol: I'm almost more excited for the novel translation than the second movie

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think my copy will arrive when I get home, or tomorrow, so expect some sort of update or beginning tomorrow night.

Added in 1 day 21 hours 2 minutes 38 seconds:
Update: did not arrive yet, hopefully tomorrow or tuesday

Added in 6 days 8 hours 51 minutes 4 seconds:
-Update #0, Feb 10 2018:

The book has arrived! I will begin translating the first chapter tonight. I am confident in my abilities with Japanese, and I have access to some good kanji and Japanese disctionaries. If problems arise I will let you know. Most likely, I will also apply some artistic liberties, meaning the translation will not be exact. When I’m done with chapter 1, I’ll probably post it here. I have no problem posting it publically, but as more arises I’d like to compile it into a PDF for instant access for everyone.

Maybe I’m speaking to soon. We’ll just see how it goes for chapter one and if it’s well received I’ll continue and probably make a seperate thread.
Good luck! Regardless of whether you succeed or not, we believe in you!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hey guys, just letting you know that I’ll post some stuff Sunday or Monday. Things are going alright. The only issue, is that the first part of the book is pretty much common knowledge, so don’t expect things that are too crazy for update 1.

Additionally, holy shit there’s some Japanese jargon. What I mean by that is basically scientific stuff that has really know meaning, but damn. It’s hard to explain, and it’s not really going to affect the major points of translation, but some parts go on about DNA, which is fine and I can provide a translation, but it’s obviously difficult. No problem for me, the fight will go on. Also additionally (I’ll note this when I post things) interestingly it’s obviously from a Japanese POV. What I mean is that Hedorah destroys Laobei, in text, which is really the Japanese term to refer to Dongbei/most of the Manchuria area. It’ll make sense later.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Hey guys, just letting you know that I’ll post some stuff Sunday or Monday. Things are going alright. The only issue, is that the first part of the book is pretty much common knowledge, so don’t expect things that are too crazy for update 1.

Additionally, holy poop there’s some Japanese jargon. What I mean by that is basically scientific stuff that has really know meaning, but damn. It’s hard to explain, and it’s not really going to affect the major points of translation, but some parts go on about DNA, which is fine and I can provide a translation, but it’s obviously difficult. No problem for me, the fight will go on. Also additionally (I’ll note this when I post things) interestingly it’s obviously from a Japanese POV. What I mean is that Hedorah destroys Laobei, in text, which is really the Japanese term to refer to Dongbei/most of the Manchuria area. It’ll make sense later.
Where will you post this translation?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^^^Here(if possible). Eventually down the line I’ll compile everything into a nice litte pdf bundle. But at first I’ll sort of post litte snippets. I intend to give updates(and previews) as obviously this’ll take months. I could give releases chapter by chapter.

I do also intend to straight up recopy and type up all the kanji and kana in the text. That way, other people can easily access everything if people take issue with certain translation decisions I make. I intend to be transparent.

The only thing I ask in return, and this isn’t a greed related thing, but I ask down the line if my endeavors succeed I just simply get some credit (as well as anyone else who may help) for doing a fan translation. Long story short, soon(like a year) I’m going to be applying for either grad school or a ESL teaching position in Japan. Obviously if it works out well it’ll be something I can flaunt or use on some sort of application.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

You are doing an amazing contribution for the community! You can be sure to get credits! Thank you!
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Ghidrah23
Ronin

Post by Ghidrah23 »

Sorry to ask, but is the translation finished yet?