Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I found it amusing someone in this subforum needed a thread dedicated to saying only positive things about this series, so here's its companion thread, say something negative about the Heisei series.
Maybe it's the special effects, the suits, the scripts, or even the dubbing, if you don't have anything nice to say... say it here ;)
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Say Something Negative About The Heisei Series

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

After King Ghidorah they were just Bandai commercials.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Really not a fan of the special effects post-vs. King Ghidorah. The flying props became extraordinarily stiff, most monsters look like they can hardly walk, and the beam effects are bland and uninteresting.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Seriously? That thread existed because everyone wouldn't stop saying negative things about the Heisei series, ad infinitum, even when the context or forum had nothing to do with it. It existed as a counterpoint; it doesn't require its own counterpoint. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Human characters were boring and stale after vs King Ghidorah .

It got boring seeing Godzilla fight an onslaught of JDSF/G-Force units every single movie.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

The Heisei designs are overrated, maybe not on TK, but in general advertising. Prior to G14 & Shin, all I would see is the Heisei designs being promoted in games, figures and other media, Especially the Heisei version of King Ghidorah, which I believe is inferior to the Showa look for KG.

Burning Godzilla, Super MechaGodzilla and final form Destoroyah are the only designs I truly like from that era.

The fights aren't as engaging post-Ghido, and the stiff flying props are pretty jarring considering the Heisei series had better budgets than the older films.

I think the Showa Godzilla designs are seriously overdue for a game or comic series putting the most focus & effort on them instead of the 90s Godzilla (PS3/4 game, comics) or millennium designs (comics) .
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

How Omori felt changing Ghidorah's origin was so important he sunk the plot of GvsKG in time travel fuckery to the point that aliens honestly would have made more sense.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

So, if I just came in here and started saying positive stuff, would that count as trolling?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

For all the praise the Heisei Godzilla design gets, it peaked with Godzilla vs Biollante and stopped looking good after Godzilla vs King Ghidorah outside of publicity photos and very specific moments.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Zarm wrote:Seriously? That thread existed because everyone wouldn't stop saying negative things about the Heisei series, ad infinitum, even when the context or forum had nothing to do with it. It existed as a counterpoint; it doesn't require its own counterpoint. :)
Ditto’ed.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

For me the negative was that the serious tone of the series left after Biollante. Both of the 1980's entries had both a serious or gothic take on things, and that felt like it was totally gone by the 1990's. I enjoy all of them, but I can certainly say as a kid I was beyond disappointed in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and its departure from the two prior films in tone.
kamilleblu wrote:For all the praise the Heisei Godzilla design gets, it peaked with Godzilla vs Biollante and stopped looking good after Godzilla vs King Ghidorah outside of publicity photos and very specific moments.
I don't know if I would say it stopped looking good, but it definitely peaked with Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

I dislike how Godzilla stopped using the more intimidating, animalistic roars from the beginning of the Heisei era and started using the more original roars towards the end of the series.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltimateDitto wrote:I dislike how Godzilla stopped using the more intimidating, animalistic roars from the beginning of the Heisei era and started using the more original roars towards the end of the series.
This I agree with, actually. Although I do love his roars in Godzilla vs. Destroyah.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

kamilleblu wrote:For all the praise the Heisei Godzilla design gets, it peaked with Godzilla vs Biollante and stopped looking good after Godzilla vs King Ghidorah outside of publicity photos and very specific moments.
Much as I love Heisei, that... is fair.

Maranatha!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I mostly agree with Zarm about “we already have this thread, it’s the whole board”, but I do want to say something.

How rushed every movie post GvKG feels. Every movie feels like it should have gone through just a bit more editing, or needed just a bit more time on the effects and scenes. And this includes GvD, which despite my love of said movie, i’ll admit definitely needed more time in production.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
Much as I love Heisei, that... is fair.
This is one of those things I attribute to the rushed schedule of these movies. I kaiju suit is almost never going to look equally good from all angles, and the approach of building a few large sets and then staging and shooting around them (as opposed to numerous smaller sets designed to suit specific compositions) means having less control over exactly how that suit is going to be photographed. It means you end up stuck with some bad angles, and also that you have less opportunity to establish a clear sense of scale.

Added in 39 seconds:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:How rushed every movie post GvKG feels. Every movie feels like it should have gone through just a bit more editing, or needed just a bit more time on the effects and scenes. And this includes GvD, which despite my love of said movie, i’ll admit definitely needed more time in production.
I'd say more time in pre-production would have been at least as valuable as more time in production.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

eabaker wrote: I'd say more time in pre-production would have been at least as valuable as more time in production.
Oh certainly, I was just about to edit my post to include how the writing could have used much more time as well. (That is what you mean by pre-production, right?)
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:
eabaker wrote: I'd say more time in pre-production would have been at least as valuable as more time in production.
Oh certainly, I was just about to edit my post to include how the writing could have used much more time as well. (That is what you mean by pre-production, right?)
I was counting writing in there (although if we want to be really anal, writing is part of development, which mostly precedes pre-pro), but also planning for the effects sequences (storyboarding, set design, etc).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why the fuck does this thread even exist? Complaining about the Heisei series is literally what every single other thread is for, which is why my own thread was made to serve as a counterbalance.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:Why the fuck does this thread even exist? Complaining about the Heisei series is literally what every single other thread is for, which is why my own thread was made to serve as a counterbalance.
Yes, this is the M.R.A. of kaiju movie threads.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.