Godzilla 1954 Remake

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gerdzerl

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Post by Gerdzerl »

LegendZilla wrote:Here’s another idea I’d like to pitch for a remake. Judging by how many of you are okay with far-fetched ideas such as lost WW2 souls, tail-lasers or even Godzilla being plant-based, how would you feel if Godzilla was not strictly bipedal? For example he would usually rise up on two legs either to breathe fire or navigate through water.
I'd personally be okay with that, but I know it'd definitely piss off a lot of the "old guard."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:Here’s another idea I’d like to pitch for a remake. Judging by how many of you are okay with far-fetched ideas such as lost WW2 souls, tail-lasers or even Godzilla being plant-based, how would you feel if Godzilla was not strictly bipedal? For example he would usually rise up on two legs either to breathe fire or navigate through water.
The WW2 souls thing is a weird example to bring up, since it's not introduced as an aspect of Godzilla, but as a story point that happens to Godzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

What? Why would he not be bipedal? When he's not breathing atomic breath he would just be the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. Sorry but I'm not at all for the idea.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I mean, when you separate those traits without including their relevance or development story-wise, yeah they're gonna sound far-fetched.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Those changes you mention all were all done to service the stories. The WWII souls were relevant to the story Kaneko wanted to tell, the plant aspects were because Urobuchi wanted Godzilla to truly feel like a global entity, and the tail lasers were to add to the insanity that was Anno's vision for the film.

What does putting him on all fours do?
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GalacticPetey wrote:Those changes you mention all were all done to service the stories. The WWII souls were relevant to the story Kaneko wanted to tell, the plant aspects were because Urobuchi wanted Godzilla to truly feel like a global entity, and the tail lasers were to add to the insanity that was Anno's vision for the film.

Adds a little weight of realism. Because in actuality the larger any animal is, the lesser the capability of bipedalism. That is why Spinosaurus was a quadruped mostly.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:Those changes you mention all were all done to service the stories. The WWII souls were relevant to the story Kaneko wanted to tell, the plant aspects were because Urobuchi wanted Godzilla to truly feel like a global entity, and the tail lasers were to add to the insanity that was Anno's vision for the film.

Adds a little weight of realism.
The character is already a surviving prehistoric monster that breathes fire, so that's kind of an invalid argument.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^As long as they don’t overwork the whole realism angle like they did with GINO, then no harm will be done.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Godzilla being quadrupedal would be interesting if it was done like Ricardo Delgado's concept art design for the unmade 1994 film.

I don't think we've ever see Godzilla crawling around to navigate tight spaces, but I could wrong.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That... looks to me like a frame from an Animaniacs episode or a Tom and Jerry cartoon; not very threatening. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Interesting idea, but I can’t say I’m a fan. They did something similar with Shin Godzilla’s fourth form, then scrapped it, and for good reason.

I think the only way it would work is if you redesigned Godzilla extensively, which is reaching into Zilla territory.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cybermat47 wrote:
Interesting idea, but I can’t say I’m a fan. They did something similar with Shin Godzilla’s fourth form, then scrapped it, and for good reason.

I think the only way it would work is if you redesigned Godzilla extensively, which is reaching into Zilla territory.
No more different then a bipedal or quadrapedal Spinosaurus are from one another.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

LegendZilla wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:

No more different then a bipedal or quadrapedal Spinosaurus are from one another.
When we believed that Spinosaurus was bipedal, we believed it had the same posture as other theropods - its spine held parallel to the ground. Now that we think it was quadrupedal, we still believe that it’s spine was held parallel to the ground.

Godzilla, on the other hand, holds its spine upright, like a Human, so if it was redesigned to be quadrupedal, then it would have to hold its spine like a Spinosaurus - parallel to the ground. That means a 90° rotation of it’s entire body. And, its limbs would have to be roughly the same length, so it would either have really long arms or really short legs.

Added in 3 minutes 14 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote:Adds a little weight of realism.
Not really. It’s still a giant fire breathing reptile that can survive having a nuke dropped on it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Will this help get you more optimistic over the notion I am suggesting?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:[]

You've talked about wanting audiences to be more flexible with new monsters and ideas other than Mothra or King Ghidorah, then you aren't a fan of Shin Godzilla or the rest of Toho's new films for doing new things differently despite you, me, and others being part of the flexible audience , yet you still want a remake of G54? I'm not trying to bait you or anything, I'm just saying your opinions seem to contradict one another.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:

You've talked about wanting audiences to be more flexible with new monsters and ideas other than Mothra or King Ghidorah, then you aren't a fan of Shin Godzilla or the rest of Toho's new films for doing new things differently despite you, me, and others being part of the flexible audience , yet you still want a remake of G54? I'm not trying to bait you or anything, I'm just saying your opinions seem to contradict one another.
That usually happens when you're a contrarian for the sake of being one.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:

Just because you’re inflexible with some things doesn’t mean you can’t be more flexible with others. Plus we are all a little guilty of having opinions of contradicting each other.

*edit*

So as long as there’s a chance that such a remake could work out, I will firmly stand in favor of it. All it needs is the right team who handle it with the proper amount of care and I’d say it would be in good hands. I know making it good would be a daunting task, but it does not necessarily mean it’s impossible. If it does succeed despite all odds, it will be one of those uphill battles against an avalanche.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.