Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
User avatar
Gerdzerl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3386
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: Inside an 80's neon space station in high orbit
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby Gerdzerl » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Very interesting stuff. Neat to hear that Anguirus and Rodan were gonna be playable.

User avatar
Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 2149
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Tommy Wiseau's Green Prostate

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby Young Guy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:34 am

Man, this game is so...mystifying.

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby The Godzilla King » Tue May 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Using my .TBL file for the game, I found some leftover text:

THIS MONSTER IS NOT A PLAYER! (Usually the game just tells you how much health the enemy kaiju has)

SHORTAGE OF ENERGY FOR MOVING PREVENTS ADVANCE! (This is the most interesting one, supposedly you were supposed to be able to run out of energy and that would prevent your advance)

And this is a Monster List I found in the rom:

GODZILLA MOTHRA ANGILAS RODAN GHIDORA MECHA GODZILLA HEDORAH GIGAN BARAGON MOGUERA VARAN GEZORA

Modifying these will change the kaiju's name in the game.

I made some codes that replace 1 and 0 in the password screen with I(F048 1B) and O(F047 21). They only work with the Japanese version because the Addresses are different and I just happened to be messing with the Japanese version. There are actually X Y O and X Y I cheats but both take you to Earth anyway.

I'm pretty much done messing around with this game, there's probably nothing else to be discovered in the game.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
Beef Bigshot
Keizer
Posts: 7392
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: noitacoL

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby Beef Bigshot » Wed May 06, 2015 3:10 am

Well man you've found quite alot! Its pretty cool everything you've dug up and I thank you for all the stuff you've found.
Resized Image

User avatar
Naruto65
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2623
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:27 am
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby Naruto65 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Here's an HD remastered box art I created from HD sources as well as replicating original fonts and objects!

Image

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby The Godzilla King » Wed May 13, 2015 12:37 pm

That HD cover is pretty cool! Too bad I don't own the game nor do I own an NES. :\

I got bored yesterday so I decided to mess around with the Godzilla's palette. This is what the game would have looked like if Godzilla was not blue and was instead his traditional colors:



Oddly enough, this doesn't work with Anguirus for some reason. I can't really change Godzilla's crouch spines without changing his atomic breath black as well.

If anyone else wants this, you don't even need a hacked rom, just use these 3 codes:

0091-10
0092-2D
0093-FF

These codes could cause side effects like changing the palette of other stuff in the game.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby The Godzilla King » Wed May 20, 2015 2:05 pm

And one final update. According to The Cutting Room Floor wiki, this is Rodan's palette:

Image

I've also included anything else that wasn't used on the image. Those are the actual palettes used for the board sprites for Angilas and Rodan, my guess is that they were gonna be changed later if they had actually been in the game.

And finally, here's an unused song I found by accident:



And that's pretty much it. I'm gonna go find some new game to mess around with now.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
g2vd
Kwaidan
Posts: 6917
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby g2vd » Thu May 21, 2015 3:56 am

It's amazing how much stuff was hidden in the game, now watch it in 2 years you start messing around with the game again for fun and you discover Biollante in the game :lol: Also I have a idea for the game you mess around with, Godzilla Generations who knows what stuff could be in that game that or Godzilla 2.
Godzilla

User avatar
Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 2149
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Tommy Wiseau's Green Prostate

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby Young Guy » Thu May 21, 2015 3:58 am

You could try looking in to Minilla and Jet Jaguar's sprites in Battle Legends.

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby The Godzilla King » Thu May 21, 2015 11:41 am

Young Guy wrote:You could try looking in to Minilla and Jet Jaguar's sprites in Battle Legends.


Yeah I could probably do that. Should be as simple as finding the Address and changing the value.

g2vd wrote:It's amazing how much stuff was hidden in the game, now watch it in 2 years you start messing around with the game again for fun and you discover Biollante in the game :lol: Also I have a idea for the game you mess around with, Godzilla Generations who knows what stuff could be in that game that or Godzilla 2.


lol I'd love to see that happen since Biollante is one of my favorite kaiju.

I've looked into Godzilla Generations a few years ago and didn't find anything, but it is possible I missed something. Godzilla 2 has leftover Japanese text in the rom, but that's pretty much it.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
Beef Bigshot
Keizer
Posts: 7392
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: noitacoL

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby Beef Bigshot » Thu May 21, 2015 5:02 pm

You I think you can easily access the unused music in the sound test code. I went through it awhile ago and its definitely worth checking out
Resized Image

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby The Godzilla King » Thu May 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Beef Bigshot wrote:You I think you can easily access the unused music in the sound test code. I went through it awhile ago and its definitely worth checking out


Really? I thought it wasn't in the Sound Test. I know there's some unused music, but I don't remember this particular track in the sound test.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
Beef Bigshot
Keizer
Posts: 7392
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: noitacoL

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby Beef Bigshot » Fri May 22, 2015 3:48 am

I can't remember what track it is exactly but I do distinctly remember hearing it before. Pretty catchy tune
Resized Image

User avatar
g2vd
Kwaidan
Posts: 6917
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby g2vd » Fri May 22, 2015 4:08 am

The Godzilla King wrote:
g2vd wrote:It's amazing how much stuff was hidden in the game, now watch it in 2 years you start messing around with the game again for fun and you discover Biollante in the game :lol: Also I have a idea for the game you mess around with, Godzilla Generations who knows what stuff could be in that game that or Godzilla 2.


lol I'd love to see that happen since Biollante is one of my favorite kaiju.

I've looked into Godzilla Generations a few years ago and didn't find anything, but it is possible I missed something. Godzilla 2 has leftover Japanese text in the rom, but that's pretty much it.

Huh, you would think Godzilla 2 would have some stuff. who knows about GG after all you didn't find Rodan and Angurius the first time.
Godzilla

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby The Godzilla King » Fri May 22, 2015 11:07 am

Beef Bigshot wrote:I can't remember what track it is exactly but I do distinctly remember hearing it before. Pretty catchy tune


Well, it is uploaded on Youtube by multiple different users. I'm not the first guy to find that song.

g2vd wrote:
The Godzilla King wrote:
g2vd wrote:It's amazing how much stuff was hidden in the game, now watch it in 2 years you start messing around with the game again for fun and you discover Biollante in the game :lol: Also I have a idea for the game you mess around with, Godzilla Generations who knows what stuff could be in that game that or Godzilla 2.


lol I'd love to see that happen since Biollante is one of my favorite kaiju.

I've looked into Godzilla Generations a few years ago and didn't find anything, but it is possible I missed something. Godzilla 2 has leftover Japanese text in the rom, but that's pretty much it.

Huh, you would think Godzilla 2 would have some stuff. who knows about GG after all you didn't find Rodan and Angurius the first time.


Yeah I was hoping for Godzilla 2 to have some leftover Rodan NES content, but nothing.

Godzilla Generations has duplicate models but there doesn't appear to be any difference between them. There's also some image in the files that calls the game "Godizilla Generations" if I remember correctly. I'll probably post some images in the Godzilla Generations topic. However, the sequel has some leftover test models.

EDIT: Was the Godzilla Generations topic deleted or something? I can't find it.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
g2vd
Kwaidan
Posts: 6917
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby g2vd » Wed May 27, 2015 5:05 am

The Godzilla King wrote:Was the Godzilla Generations topic deleted or something? I can't find it.

It must of gotten deleted in the hackings, here I made a new one.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23485
Godzilla

User avatar
GojirO
Interpol Agent
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby GojirO » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:46 pm

I recently purchased this and an NES top play it on. It's pretty good what I have played of it so far.
Rest in Peace Victoria

User avatar
Beef Bigshot
Keizer
Posts: 7392
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: noitacoL

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby Beef Bigshot » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm

GojirO wrote:I recently purchased this and an NES top play it on. It's pretty good what I have played of it so far.


Just now it IS kinda tedious at points, but ultimately I'd say a pretty fun game overall. If you know your Toho stuff, then you'll see a ton of references to many movies they have done.
Resized Image

User avatar
godzilla98rules
Futurian
Posts: 1887
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby godzilla98rules » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 pm

I downloaded a rom for this earlier today and have been playing the heck out of it. I recently tried the destroy all monsters mode and managed to defeat all the monsters up to Ghidorah with Mothra (Lost Godzilla earlier). Ghidorah's health had literately a sliver left before he killed me. I was so close to victory..... :lol:
Last edited by godzilla98rules on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image
R.I.P. George Root III

User avatar
Relair
Samurai
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Postby Relair » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Still my favorite Godzilla game ever made. For its time the sound and graphics were better than anything else on the NES, easily. I never knew about the Rodan and Anguirus stuff, man that would have made it even better. Now I'm getting the urge to go watch that like 5 hour creepypasta about it again...


Return to “Toho Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests