Positive things about the Heisei Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Re: Positive things about the Heisei Series

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Not to get too off-topic but I agree with Maritonic's statement. If it was not for Godzilla pulling off a new ability (the Spiral Ray), I think Godzilla would have met his match with Super Mechagodzilla.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:Not to get too off-topic but I agree with Maritonic's statement. If it was not for Godzilla pulling off a new ability (the Spiral Ray), I think Godzilla would have met his match with Super Mechagodzilla.
Whoa someone agrees with me?! Holy fuck. Someone call Goji89. I think I just popped a cherry or something.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:Not to get too off-topic but I agree with Maritonic's statement. If it was not for Godzilla pulling off a new ability (the Spiral Ray), I think Godzilla would have met his match with Super Mechagodzilla.
Whoa someone agrees with me?! Holy fuck. Someone call Goji89. I think I just popped a cherry or something.
I mean, Super Mechagodzilla wins; Godzilla dies. Seems pretty clear to me. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:Mechagodzilla is pretty much the only monster to actually be capable of killing Godzilla, but no one really talks about this.
Well, that's the thing. A lot of people seem to talk about that, especially in the Fantasy Matches, but I strongly disagree. Mechagodzilla's ability to threaten Godzilla was not due to his strength, but due to a cheap shot tactic. If any of Godzilla's other enemies had knowledge of that weak point, they could manage the same feat (Biollante and Destroyah especially have demonstrated penetrating capabilities that could reach and destroy the secondary brain). The weapon that threatens his life isn't especially strong, just targeted very specifically. The rest of the barrage is pretty much to get him to hold still to give MechaG a clean shot.

MechaG's pretty strong. but I would factor him as either third, or tied for second, after the next two villains of the series.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Mechagodzilla is pretty much the only monster to actually be capable of killing Godzilla, but no one really talks about this.
Well, that's the thing. A lot of people seem to talk about that, especially in the Fantasy Matches, but I strongly disagree. Mechagodzilla's ability to threaten Godzilla was not due to his strength, but due to a cheap shot tactic. If any of Godzilla's other enemies had knowledge of that weak point, they could manage the same feat (Biollante and Destroyah especially have demonstrated penetrating capabilities that could reach and destroy the secondary brain). The weapon that threatens his life isn't especially strong, just targeted very specifically. The rest of the barrage is pretty much to get him to hold still to give MechaG a clean shot.

MechaG's pretty strong. but I would factor him as either third, or tied for second, after the next two villains of the series.
I'll give you this. My point was really more Mechagodzilla II is the only monster we really witness practically kill Godzilla on screen. That's more what I'm going for. But, I do get your point.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Definitely- I would agree with you there. He presents the most direct threat of any of Heisei's foes.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:Definitely- I would agree with you there. He presents the most direct threat of any of Heisei's foes.
Which is interesting because I've always felt Destroyah and Spacegodzilla had the potential to be the most powerful kaiju on screen, they just weren't utilized properly in their respective films. Even though Godzilla vs. Destroyah is one of my personal favorites, I still feel they underused Destroyah's power.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I'd agree, on both points. They're the two I'd rank higher in destruction potential (and Spacegodzilla showed it a bit by rendering Godzilla helpless), but it's definitely not fulfilled.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:Definitely- I would agree with you there. He presents the most direct threat of any of Heisei's foes.
Which is interesting because I've always felt Destroyah and Spacegodzilla had the potential to be the most powerful kaiju on screen, they just weren't utilized properly in their respective films. Even though Godzilla vs. Destroyah is one of my personal favorites, I still feel they underused Destroyah's power.
For sure! One thing that will always bother me about Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is that the military was the one to bring down Destoroyah. Being his final film in the Heisei Series, I would have liked to see Godzilla have one last triumph before he died. I feel like for the final three Heisei films, there is an emphasis on monsters having major weaknesses such as Godzilla's second brain, Spacegodzilla's shoulder crystals, and Destoroyah's reaction to the cold.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
For sure! One thing that will always bother me about Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is that the military was the one to bring down Destoroyah. Being his final film in the Heisei Series, I would have liked to see Godzilla have one last triumph before he died. I feel like for the final three Heisei films, there is an emphasis on monsters having major weaknesses such as Godzilla's second brain, Spacegodzilla's shoulder crystals, and Destoroyah's reaction to the cold.
I actually never gave much thought to the Military taking down Destroyah, but you're completely right. I view Spacegodzilla and Destroyah as "Gods" of the franchise, but they're just SO underused and never see their full potential. You're 100% correct.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I actually never gave much thought to the Military taking down Destroyah, but you're completely right. I view Spacegodzilla and Destroyah as "Gods" of the franchise, but they're just SO underused and never see their full potential. You're 100% correct.
Well heck, I agree with both of you- we've just got ourselves a regular little love-fest here! :)

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Well heck, I agree with both of you- we've just got ourselves a regular little love-fest here! :)
Haha, it's a nice shift from arguments and debates <3

But, I've always gotten along with you, Zarm.
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Agreed! And... agreed! :)

Maranatha!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

1984 probably has my favorite Godzilla rampage. Hell, the first 3 Heisei films have awesome rampage scenes.
It's also cool how they manage to make Godzilla a character without making him an outright hero. He stays relatively neutral.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Biollante is easily one of the franchise's best monsters, hands down. The special effects throughout the Heisei series are phenomenal.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

All the monsters are cool, the Godzilla design has become iconic.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

I really like MOGUERA in GvSG. It’s surprisingly badass for such a weird looking design, and the scene where it uses its drill nose to injure Spacegodzilla is honestly one of my favourite scenes of the franchise.

TheRedKing1979
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRedKing1979 »

RoG bringing back pure un-camp seriousness to the franchise.
GvsB being the best G-film ever.
GvsD being a great send off to Goji.
Miki.

Heisei facelifts to characters like Mothra, Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah.
Heisei new faces like Battra, Biollante, Mecha-King Ghidorah and Destoroyah.

Especially MechaKG.
Member formerly known as wataru.
Proud American. Southerner. Centrist.
Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) is easily the best Godzilla movie, ever.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I enjoyed the designs and the mix of new and old kaiju as well as some of the new concepts. I'll always have a soft spot for the Heisei era

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

I guess the community consensus changed over time. I remember online in the 1990s and early 2000s that fans were super high on Heisei and embarrassed of Showa. A similar trend occurred with Star Trek: The Next Generation being downgraded and the franchise going with The Original Series characters in 2009, after TOS had been deemed uncool in the 1990s.

Showa has around 2-4 great Godzilla movies depending on your tastes...out of 15. Please note I grew up with Showa and the movies are dear to my heart.
Heisei, depending on your tastes, has 3-4 great Godzilla movies out of 7.

Heisei
- Better G costumes.
- Excellent scores.
- Continuity.
- Better city rampage SFX.
- Respected Showa.
- Longer battles + Godzilla screen time.
- Less reliance on stock footage.
- Spawned tons of popular comic books, fan faction, toys, etc based on the storyline.