GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse (novel)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Re: GODZILLA: Monster Apocalypse (novel)

Post by TyrantGojira »

Living Corpse wrote:
Ghidrah23 wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:People make Holocaust jokes, A-Bomb Jokes and 9/11 jokes among many more. You really think they wouldn't make a monster joke?
I am well aware of that. But this is completely unprecedented at start. Wait, we, even the non Kaiju fan, have been dosed with this kind of thing since forever. We Gfans will definitely not taking this seriously...... as long as Godzilla is far away from our home or nations
Nothing is sacred to assholes.

If we had to leave the planet because of Godzilla, assholes would still be making fun of it like it wasn't literally the most serious event in human history.
It’s gonna happen. People will often use humor to add levity in a dire situation.... even if it is out of taste.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Ghidrah23
Ronin

Post by Ghidrah23 »

Alright, enough with the scenario. It is starting to get disturbing.
Lets talk about Gabara in this universe. 10 meters long (tall?) possibly amphibian monster that lived in the Amazon. I heard that the person who encountered him is named "Ichiro" just like in the movie. I would love to see Ichiro, who's probably a grown man here, being pursued by Gabara in natural thriller movie fashion until Gabara fell into the river in such ironic manner fitting for a douche kaiju.

Added in 1 hour 59 minutes 16 seconds:
Godzillian wrote:That timeline actually sounds more interesting for an anime then the movie itself lol
Too late for reply

I think it would be more like a collection of OVA than a series.
Last edited by Ghidrah23 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Any mention of orbital rail weapons in the novel?
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Added the known monster roster to the front page, with the addition of Ebirah. Also, the guys at Wikizilla apparently found what looks to be a hidden reference to a certain monster:
So anyways, the Monster Apocalypse apparently seems to say that "Kamoebas IV" is not actually the same species as Kamoebas, but a different, turtle-type monster that is 60 meters in size and that had its right forelimb missing.
Best part is Monster Apocalypse was published by Kadokawa
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

That's a nice Gamera reference :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Their teasing Gamera vs Godzilla. But seriously that's a nice Easter egg.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

The irony is even thicker because after Toho told Tezuka that Anguirus couldn't be the kaiju that washes ashore dead in Tokyo S.O.S., Tezuka asked to use Gamera in the role instead before he was forced to use Kamoebas.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

King of the Monsters wrote:The irony is even thicker because after Toho told Tezuka that Anguirus couldn't be the kaiju that washes ashore dead in Tokyo S.O.S., Tezuka asked to use Gamera in the role instead before he was forced to use Kamoebas.
Why would he ask to use a Kaiju Toho doesn't own? :roll:

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

He was apparently pretty impatient when Toho told him he couldn't use Anguirus and may not have been entirely serious when he asked to just use Gamera instead. But nonetheless he ended up using the only turtle kaiju Toho owned.

Source is this interview from 2015 btw.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

All of this is super fascinating. It’s a shame we all can’t simply sit down and read it.

Anyways, I need to know where all this info is coming from, because I’m curious where/how all this stuff is coming from and whether a translation exists, or if it’s just a group of Japanese fans giving a gist of what happens in the novel.

I ordered a copy online which should arrive in a week. When it comes assuming there’s no one already translating it, I might try to translate a page a day or something. Let me know what you guys think, and if anyone else here can read or speak Japanese at a proficient level or higher.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

A lot of this, including the Gamera Easter egg, was translated directly from the novel by some users on Wikizilla. We extracted a basic summary of every monster's role in the novel from Japanese Wikipedia, but recently we went through and verified everything manually from the novel. We're working on attaching the page numbers for every major appearance in the novel and condensing it all into a single timeline.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

King of the Monsters wrote:A lot of this, including the Gamera Easter egg, was translated directly from the novel by some users on Wikizilla. We extracted a basic summary of every monster's role in the novel from Japanese Wikipedia, but recently we went through and verified everything manually from the novel. We're working on attaching the page numbers for every major appearance in the novel and condensing it all into a single timeline.
Seems interesting, perhaps I can help when my copy arrives.

I’m still gonna do my own thing cause I’m studying for the N2 (Japanese language exam) so it’s something I want to do to study.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Oh yeah don't by any means give up on translating the novel. We're only manually translating specific parts to verify existing information about the novel and to try and document all the monster appearances and Easter eggs. We're not doing a comprehensive full translation or anything at the moment.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alicio241
Ronin

Post by alicio241 »

had the book since November kinda hard to translate with google translate but you kinda get what its saying, still really cool and lots of fun parts
Last edited by alicio241 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

That Gamera refference! Pretty cool.
It's so sad it isn't getting an official translation.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Oh man, Ebirah WAS in it? Shame K.C., Destroyah, Battra, Titanosaurus, Gaira and Sanda didn't make it in.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

My logical part is just seeing the Gamera easter egg as just that, an easter egg, but the fanboy in me is wanting it to be a hint that they are planing a Gamera vs Godzilla.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Living Corpse wrote:My logical part is just seeing the Gamera easter egg as just that, an easter egg, but the fanboy in me is wanting it to be a hint that they are planing a Gamera vs Godzilla.
I have dreams about it. One can only wish. :cry: :roll:
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:My logical part is just seeing the Gamera easter egg as just that, an easter egg, but the fanboy in me is wanting it to be a hint that they are planing a Gamera vs Godzilla.
Even though I’m kinda cynical and against such crossovers, I think the most obvious place to do it is in something like an anime film that’s a smaller release.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Even though I’m kinda cynical and against such crossovers, I think the most obvious place to do it is in something like an anime film that’s a smaller release.
If Gamers vs Godzilla ever happens either Toho live action or Legendary needs to do it. It will likely happen only once and needs to be done right.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image