Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

Post by GalacticPetey »

I'm sure there are more Filii (that's the proper plural since filius is Latin), but I'd rather have the focus stay on Godzilla himself.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GalacticPetey wrote:I'm sure there are more Filii (that's the proper plural since filius is Latin), but I'd rather have the focus stay on Godzilla himself.
In that regard, I hope we get a proper explanation for some of the minor things like the Servum. Just a scene where maybe they’re growing, or Godzilla is producing them. Perhaps the busted Filius, the one they blow up winds up growing into the Servum? Or a large enough chunk of the OG grows into Filius? Similarly it would be cool if a Filius mutated into Biollante.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Is Filius Minya?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:Is Filius Minya?
Technically, no.
Essentially, yes!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I guess he is in the same way that Godzilla Jr. is Minya. Not exactly the same, but pretty similar.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GalacticPetey wrote:I guess he is in the same way that Godzilla Jr. is Minya. Not exactly the same, but pretty similar.
Godzilla Junior is Minya, they just probably never wanted to call him that cause the original Minya was so goofy looking and even talked. Then again they made him super cute in Godzilla vs SG.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Godzilla Junior is Minya, they just probably never wanted to call him that cause the original Minya was so goofy looking and even talked.
Except he's...not? They're two separate characters.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Godzilla Junior is Minya, they just probably never wanted to call him that cause the original Minya was so goofy looking and even talked.
Except he's...not? They're two separate characters.
In terms of being in different eras yeah, but they’re both essentially the same thing story wise and serve the same function; smaller weaker Godzilla’s that need to be protected by the larger one.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Yeah, saying BabyGodzilla/LittleGodzilla/Godzilla Junior and Minilla are the same character is like saying King Ghidorah is the same character as Desghidorah or Keizer Ghidorah.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gerdzerl wrote:Yeah, saying BabyGodzilla/LittleGodzilla/Godzilla Junior and Minilla are the same character is like saying King Ghidorah is the same character as Desghidorah or Keizer Ghidorah.
Beyond name and slight character differences they essentially are.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

According to Takao Okawara, Toho wanted him to bring Minilla back for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, but he wasn't very fond of the character and created Baby Godzilla instead for that specific reason.

Source: http://www.davmil.org/www.kaijuconversa ... kawar2.htm
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Filius is a third son of Godzilla in my book. Also I think he is the only one. I feel he was created simply so we could have the shock of Godzilla Earth appear.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

I too think that there are more Godzilla's out there.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:I'm sure there are more Filii (that's the proper plural since filius is Latin), but I'd rather have the focus stay on Godzilla himself.
In that regard, I hope we get a proper explanation for some of the minor things like the Servum. Just a scene where maybe they’re growing, or Godzilla is producing them. Perhaps the busted Filius, the one they blow up winds up growing into the Servum? Or a large enough chunk of the OG grows into Filius? Similarly it would be cool if a Filius mutated into Biollante.
As pure speculation the Servum and the Plant Life are likely all the result of Godzilla simple existing. Over 20'000 years Godzilla has shed a countless amount of his cells all across the world, most living constantly shed dead cells, and due to general mutagenic properties Godizlla's dna has been shown to have in other version his shed cell slowly became integrated into the environment of earth, resulting in a full scale terraforming affect.

Also dose anyone get a pretty strong Moby Dick vibe from this film and not just because of one mans obsession with Godzilla. The general lay out and some plot points feel similar to. Not least of all that like ol Moby himself, Godzilla Earth dose not show up till the very end to annihilate everyone.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Just finished watching it. Keeping in mind that it’s just the first third of the story, I really like it. It’s easily the most original entry in the series - apart from Godzilla being there, there’s not really anything familiar about it (in relation to Godzilla, that is). I like the idea of Godzilla forcing Humanity off Earth, and Human society decaying while searching for a new planet (and of course the guy who wrote Psycho-Pass wrote in a dysfunctional futuristic society. And he wrote Puella Magi Madoka Magica as well, so it’s not surprising that we have a suicide in the first ten minutes).

I didn’t mind that Godzilla didn’t have that much screentime, because we see the impact he’s had throughout the entire film, from Human society to the state of the planet. And when Godzilla Filius finally appears, it’s bloody awesome. And when Godzilla Prime introduces himself in the last ten minutes? That’s simply jaw-dropping.

I liked how they incorporated the aliens, too, though their appearances are underwhelmingly Human. Still, it’s great to see aliens aiding Humanity and peacefully trying to settle on Earth as a change. It’s also great how they’ve combined the two basic origin stories of Mechagodzilla - now it’s a war machine made by aliens to protect the Earth and Humanity against Godzilla.

Also, the backstory is bloody awesome. I really hope it gets explored in full in a later film. Kamacuras, Dogora, Hedorah, Dagahra, Orga - and they’re just the ones we see in the film. The novel Monster Apocalypse mentions Gabara, Jet Jaguar, swarms of Zillas infesting France, Biollante doing battle in Normandy, flocks of Rodans preting on refugees fleeing through Siberia. And I’m certain that I heard Metphies mention that other planets have had creatures like Godzilla - a subtle confirmation that space kaiju like King Ghidorah exist in this universe, perhaps?

Ultimately, I can’t wait to see what happens in the next film. The interactions between the returned Humans and the “native” Humans are something I’m especially interested in. It’ll also be interesting to see a society that’s existed in the shadow of Godzilla for 20,000 years. They probably worship him as a god.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Keep in mind humanoid aliens are probably considered a tradition of the series, though animation did give them an opportunity to try something else.

There's a possibility that the Exif monster is Spacegodzilla.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Monster X brought up the Moby Dick similarities, and I can totally see it. I didn’t think of this now, but the way they kill Filius is similar to how they try to kill moby with harpoons. By that logic though Haruo is a combo of Ahab and Ishmael (the actual protagonist). Like the book it ends with Ishmael/Haruo being trapped in a small thing(mech suit/wooden coffin) as the whale/Godzilla proceeded to destroy the ship/fleet.

Cybermat said that he’s upset that the aliens are so human like; I do agree perhaps they could have a little more pronounced features, but it’s been a long trsdition to have humanoid Star Trek type aliens in there. However, for all we know, in particular with the barusados, maybe underneath they’re some sort of big insect monster.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I’ve seen this movie four times and I plan to see it a fifth. The ending with Godzilla Earth was amazing. Easily the best part of the movie. The fight scenes with Filius were pretty cool too. I was interested enough in the story so Godzilla appearing in like the last 30 minutes didn’t bother me that much. It’s also almost an hour and a half so I wasn’t expecting to see Godzilla appear at the 40 or 45 minute mark. Where is MechaGodzilla in the post credits scene? All I see is Haruo waking up and the orange-skin girl noticing him.

I’m really hyped for the sequels. I can’t wait to see Godzilla fight MechaGodzilla again.
Last edited by Kaijunator on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mechagodzilla doesn’t appear in the post credits, he’s briefly on screen in a section of the opening montage where it shows the crew failing launching it. I think an important thing to note is that the Barusaldos are present, and actually two of them seem to stay behind and aggressively try to fix it, further implying it isn’t some evil scheme.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I never noticed how the name of the Bilusaludo guy "Mulu-Elu- Galu-Ulu" is pretty similar to Mugal from TOMG.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Mechagodzilla doesn’t appear in the post credits, he’s briefly on screen in a section of the opening montage where it shows the crew failing launching it. I think an important thing to note is that the Barusaldos are present, and actually two of them seem to stay behind and aggressively try to fix it, further implying it isn’t some evil scheme.
Yeah, that’s what I thought. I kept reading that MG appeared in the post credits scene.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!