GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Postby Omegamorph » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:19 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:although probably by accident

Completely intentional

from the 1998 book companion

Emmerich: “we wanted to stay true to the essence of why Godzilla was created in the first place, which had to do with a lot of people’s fears of what was going on with weapons and radiation. You have to remember how the first Godzilla was created. The original was made in Japan shortly after World War II, and the devastation caused by the two nuclear bombs was obviously in the minds of the Japanese people. So, we kept that theme going. We really wanted to honor where it came from and yet start anew.”

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:04 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:I'm going to say two nice things about this movie.

1. The opening sequence is masterful. I think I like it even better than the very similar one from LPG. I really love the way they make the bomb seem just as much a giant monster as the monster itself. Very respectful to the source material (although probably by accident), and it would be so awesome to see in an actual Godzilla movie. Also, if the rest of the film evoked that tone, it might have been more compelling (but still not a Godzilla film without getting the character right)

"Masterful" might be a bit of an overstatement, but definitely effective, and, yeah, the LPG sequence by contrast is perhaps a little too busy and audience-winking.

2. The way they derive Godzilla's name, with Kent Brockman literally mishearing 'Gojira', is hilarious, and I would gladly see it used again in another American adaption.

The problem for me is that it's spoiled by Audrey shouting the "correct" pronunciation but getting it so glaringly wrong herself.

Also, Sergeant O'Neil rocks, that guy's just doing his job and not bothering anybody. #teamo'neil

Never understood what people see in this character. You could basically split his lines up among a dozen bit players and it wouldn't make any difference to the narrative that I can see.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:23 am

eabaker wrote:
Also, Sergeant O'Neil rocks, that guy's just doing his job and not bothering anybody. #teamo'neil

Never understood what people see in this character. You could basically split his lines up among a dozen bit players and it wouldn't make any difference to the narrative that I can see.

I mean, yeah. But in a movie full of dumb, cartoony characters who do dumb, cartoony things, he comes across seeming the only one you can even a little bit relate to. Just a normal dude.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I mean, yeah. But in a movie full of dumb, cartoony characters who do dumb, cartoony things, he comes across seeming the only one you can even a little bit relate to. Just a normal dude.

I guess I never really perceived him as a character at all. There's nothing about him I can relate to, because there's nothing about him.

To whatever degree I relate to anyone in that movie (limited), it's probably Nick.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:14 pm

I don't agree with the argument that "its a good monster movie! Just pretend it's not Godzilla. It's still a bad movie regardless.
Last edited by Godzillian on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Godzillian wrote:I don't agree with the argument that "its a good monster movie! Just pretend it's not Godzilla. It's still a bad movie regardless.

Agreed 100%. It's got a really solid set-up, but once the plot gets into motion, it quickly becomes evident that the filmmakers really had story to tell at all. There's no sense of narrative momentum, because, once the monster appears, the narrative has nowhere to go; it just kind of spins its wheels until the appropriate epic runtime has been reached and the monster can be unceremoniously dismissed.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Godzillian wrote:I don't agree with the argument that "its a good monster movie! Just pretend it's not Godzilla. It's still a bad movie regardless.

I just see it more as a cheesy multi-million dollar b movie I guess. There is some genuine fun to be had if you just shut your brain off. I can enjoy it on that level. I don't really think it's a 'good' movie.

Added in 8 hours 9 minutes 11 seconds:
You know, I'll say something else good about this movie. I think it significantly increased the size of the Godzilla fan base. I feel like so many fans of my generation found the Godzilla series through this movie. I watched that VHS tape over and over and over, and it made me want to rent anything else Godzilla at the video store, and once I got on the internet I suddenly found there was this whole word of 'kaiju' stuff out there. I think there were a lot of kids like me.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 pm

My dad has always been an adamant defender of this movie as it’s always been a guilty pleasure of his.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:34 am

It's turning 20 this year, y'all. Damn does that make me feel old. I remember seeing all the ads and the incredible merchandising for the film. Theeeeen the disappointment haha. Anyone planning on revisiting this for it's 20th anniversary?
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:13 am

THANK YOU! Even if it wasn't called Godzilla, it still would've sucked, I've been saying this for ages, though it simply would've just been another dumb Roland Emmerich film instead of the abomination and slap in the face it is.

Watch Nostalgia Critic's review of GINO 98 where he exposes this POS film scene-by-scene as the dumpster fire it really is, yes, even as a standalone monster movie:

KaijuCanuck wrote:I just see it more as a cheesy multi-million dollar b movie I guess. There is some genuine fun to be had if you just shut your brain off. I can enjoy it on that level. I don't really think it's a 'good' movie.

Even in that context, it was trash. The action scenes really weren't all that amusing, he just constantly runs while the dumb military constantly misses all 300 feet of him, somehow, someway.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Kenpachiro Hirata
Yojimbo

Postby Kenpachiro Hirata » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:49 am

It's a good fun dumb blockbuster. If it wasn't called "Godzilla" I'd apretiate it much more.
But at least the animated series was cool.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:25 pm

Maritonic wrote:It's turning 20 this year, y'all. Damn does that make me feel old. I remember seeing all the ads and the incredible merchandising for the film. Theeeeen the disappointment haha. Anyone planning on revisiting this for it's 20th anniversary?

Honestly, why not? Maybe on a free afternoon I will.... and then watch Monster Planet again to clean my mind. Man..... time really does fly by.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:17 am

Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:It's a good fun dumb blockbuster. If it wasn't called "Godzilla" I'd apretiate it much more.
But at least the animated series was cool.

I look at it like a "Zilla" film, not a Godzilla film. And yeah, the animated series was the best thing to come out of this film, in my opinion. Great show.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Gerdzerl

Postby Gerdzerl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:09 am

If anything, this film at least had a great score, a good atmosphere, and fun monster scenes. That, and I feel that this version of Godzilla has the best roar of any incarnation to date. It takes everything I love about the 1962-1975 roar and remasters it perfectly.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:10 am

Gerdzerl wrote:If anything, this film at least had a great score, a good atmosphere, and fun monster scenes.

I agree about the score and atmosphere, which really help make the first half hour or so quite watchable. But fun monster scenes? Have to agree to disagree on that one. :)

Gerdzerl

Postby Gerdzerl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:23 am

eabaker wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:If anything, this film at least had a great score, a good atmosphere, and fun monster scenes.

I agree about the score and atmosphere, which really help make the first half hour or so quite watchable. But fun monster scenes? Have to agree to disagree on that one. :)

Fair enough, that's probably just my nostalgia speaking for me, lol. :lol:

I guess it might be my own personal bias towards the designs for Godzilla and his offspring and the cinematography for them that might be why I like the monster scenes? I'm probably easily amused given I enjoy monster scenes in films if the aesthetics of said monster designs and the scenes they're in strike a particular chord with me, even if they actually suck from a critical/well-educated point of view. Probably why I enjoy 80's B-horror movies so much more than I would if I were well versed in academic film theory. :P

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 am

Gerdzerl wrote:Probably why I enjoy 80's B-horror movies so much more than I would if I were well versed in academic film theory. :P

No, I assure you, those two things are not mutually exclusive. :D

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 am

I'll be revisiting it sometime this year, yeah. It's been a while since I've seen it, and I don't know that my little brother and sister have ever seen more than bits and pieces of it, years ago.

It sucks horribly, yes, but I didn't know that when I was nine, and nostalgia keeps me coming back to it every so often. And it really does have its moments, most of them early on. Regarding the quality of the monster scenes, it does have Godzilla's initial 'attack' on New York, which offered a rare look at what a kaiju attack looks like from street level.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:29 am

I like it in the respect that it's fun to make fun of.

I'm never actually going to watch it again if I have any choice in the matter.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:16 pm

I'm not going to lie nostalgia is a BIG reason why I love this film. All the hype and ads for the film hit me when I was 6 so I was the perfect audience for it and my first Godzilla toy was a Trendmasters G98 figure. But I do think that there is ALOT in this film that gets overlooked. As mentioned here the soundtrack and atmosphere are amazing. David Arnold is one of my favorite composers and the constant rain and darkness really adds an almost noir feel to it which is unique for a kaiju film. Jean Reno steals this film and while its not really played up as much as Biollante I love the storyline of espionage and almost a cold war happening in the background of a kaiju attack. Also the special effects really are great. If you've only seen the DVD I HIGHLY recommend picking up the Mastered In 4K Blu Ray. Apparently they did more than just upscale the film that went back and reprocessed the film.

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”