Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

Post by GalacticPetey »

Spacegodzilla would be the most likely. I'd be very curious as to what direction they'd take him, especially with how Mechagodzilla is being handled.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Exif’s god is most likely Spacegodzilla. I just noticed it, but don’t the Exifs gave some sort of crystals? Either that or KG, but SG seems more likely as Meti recognizes big daddy Godzilla sort of.

Analyzing the Exifs should be interesting. Even if they are nomadic, it’s unclear if they just worship the monsters, embrace it, or have some bigger religion. Like if they’re consciously bad or evil, or if they really think they’re doing a good thing.
Never thought about SpaceG, good theory.
Indeed, the Exifs are very interesting, they have an ambiguous vision of the whole thing.
I thought they were with Haruo about destroying Goji, but then, at the end, Metphis was happy to see the real Goji resurging?
Really makes you think.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I just wanna know what "Operation Hedorah" is.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

KingKaiju wrote:I just wanna know what "Operation Hedorah" is.
Quoting another member, from the novel thread:
King of the Monsters wrote:Japanese Wikipedia has been nice enough to give summaries of the kaiju's roles, so here's what happens to each of them to the best of my ability to translate:
Hedorah: Hedorah was a bioweapon created by the Chinese, but went out of control after it killed Rodan and Anguirus. It destroyed Beijing and Tianjin, then vanished after it consumed all pollutants in the area. It's safe to say Hedorah's fate is unknown.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah and if you look carefully you can see Rodans skeleton, and Anguirus’s in the brief snippet involving Hedorah.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Destorogoji wrote:
King of the Monsters wrote:Japanese Wikipedia has been nice enough to give summaries of the kaiju's roles, so here's what happens to each of them to the best of my ability to translate:
Hedorah: Hedorah was a bioweapon created by the Chinese, but went out of control after it killed Rodan and Anguirus. It destroyed Beijing and Tianjin, then vanished after it consumed all pollutants in the area. It's safe to say Hedorah's fate is unknown.
YES!!! YES!!!!! I always wanted to see them bring back the anti-nuclear bacteria, and have that turn into a Hedorah-like monster. Looks like my wish may have come true.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I actually enjoyed this world set up. The cgi anime had some wonky looking moments but I overall thought it was pretty decent. Dub was better than expected.

After credit scene threw me off. Thought it was going to be about Mechagodzilla. Are we 100% sure Mechagodzilla will actually be used in the sequel? It was designed to fight a 50m Godzilla, not a freaking mountain sized one.

The alien dynamic is really interesting. Can totally see Biollante and Spacegodzilla being used. Hoping they leave Ghidorah and Mothra out of this.

I'd give this a 7.5/10.

Added in 2 minutes 2 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Yeah and if you look carefully you can see Rodans skeleton, and Anguirus’s in the brief snippet involving Hedorah.
Missed this!

Btw the opening crawl/scenes were pretty epic.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

KingKaiju wrote:
Destorogoji wrote:
YES!!! YES!!!!! I always wanted to see them bring back the anti-nuclear bacteria, and have that turn into a Hedorah-like monster. Looks like my wish may have come true.
Yeah, Hedorah is criminally underused, he has the basics to make amazing plots. You could even make a film about Operation Hedorah.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I am withholding my score till next year after I see the other two parts but as of right now it's the worst Godzilla film to me. Godzilla only shows up for about 13 seconds in the end and Filius got beat too easily I feel.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Cookson wrote:I actually enjoyed this world set up. The cgi anime had some wonky looking moments but I overall thought it was pretty decent. Dub was better than expected.

After credit scene threw me off. Thought it was going to be about Mechagodzilla. Are we 100% sure Mechagodzilla will actually be used in the sequel? It was designed to fight a 50m Godzilla, not a freaking mountain sized one.

The alien dynamic is really interesting. Can totally see Biollante and Spacegodzilla being used. Hoping they leave Ghidorah and Mothra out of this.

I'd give this a 7.5/10.

Added in 2 minutes 2 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Yeah and if you look carefully you can see Rodans skeleton, and Anguirus’s in the brief snippet involving Hedorah.
Missed this!

Btw the opening crawl/scenes were pretty epic.
The poster for the second movie is all Mechagodzilla.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I really liked it! :D

It was different. In a lot of ways, it felt like an alternative take on GFW...like, instead of humanity trapping Godzilla in Antarctica, we teamed up with the Xillians (AND the Black Hole aliens, for good measure!) but even combined we can't beat him so we escape to space instead. I loved this take on the Xillians, and the return of the Black Hole aliens was a BIG surprise that I somehow completely hadn't heard about yet.
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I didn't catch anything about him originating from plants in the film. Maybe I missed it or they just dropped the idea.
It was in there, just a very quick line from Prof. Martin when they were examining the Servum's DNA after they attacked the camp.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

I wanna see new monsters not useless ones like the servum.
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Spoiler review, fair warning

Saw the movie and I'm not very happy. I'm still hopeful for the next installments because I do see opportunity for growth -- there are some nice building blocks here, but I'm very disappointed by the execution. What bothers me the most is that the storyboard itself isn't terrible, although really rough in some respects, but the dialogue, character development and plot development was some of the laziest I've ever experienced. The world-building in general is exceptional, like I said, so I’m trying to be optimistic. But Part 1 is just not well done – at all.

General thoughts/problems I have:

- If I’m going to credit the world-building, I’m also going to absolutely slay the miscellaneous fat that was larded into this movie. The whole expedition into outer space was pointless and should’ve been crammed into the prologue. As Commander Guy’s subordinate – it isn’t even worth remembering the names of any of the characters because they’re so poorly developed -- mentions midway through the movie, the BEST idea would be to establish a moon base and make infrequent trips to Earth for supplies… DUH! It took you 22 years and miles and miles of space travel and suicide missions for senior citizens to realize this?!
- And I wouldn’t even be mad about the space trip if I got to know (or care) about any of the characters. But no. Protagonist Commander Guy gets mad about leaving Earth – to be fair, I would too because they have absolutely no plan, and by their own admission, everyone still alive would die in another 8 years they kept going – and he gets thrown in the brig.
- But he’s studied Godzilla and thinks he knows how to beat him, and now they use the technology of FILL IN THE BLANK to instantly reappear at Earth. Sigh. What’s funny though is that Commander Guy’s work is supposed to be a secret, but Other Commander Alien Guy totally outs him by requesting his release for the Godzilla mission! You idiot -- what was the point of this being a secret in the first place! Needless dialogue!
- Speaking of the aliens, they show up on fancy space ships at the height of the monster invasion to….. let Earth know that they’re screwed, and need to find Space Jesus in their hearts? SERIOUSLY? So these aliens can’t defend earth, and they also can’t even “brain wash” (the movie’s words, not mine) the few humans who survive the “Monsterocolypse.” Ya’ll are the stupidest aliens I’ve ever seen, and there’s literally no reason (IN THIS MOVIE, but perhaps for sequels) why you even bothered to show up in the first place!
- Basically the whole space flight could have been condensed into the prologue with Godzilla & co attacking cities and all that because it served no purpose, like I said at the beginning of my Mad On The Internet rant.
- Now on Earth, which I will say is exceptionally interesting due to its fauna, Commander Guy proves himself to be a generic anime hero who is also terrible at being a hero. He says generic things to rally the troops, refused to retreat after HEAVY causalities and generally has stupid ideas: “If Godzilla shoots his beam, just eject from your craft!” Sure.. I’m sure EVERYONE will be able to evacuate in 5 seconds or less. And yet they go for it. He also attempts to kamikaze into Godzilla in his fighter pilot to expose Godzilla’s shield, which obviously wouldn’t have worked given the sustained firepower it takes to accomplish this later in the movie. Everyone thinks his callous disregard for their lives and his own is really heroic. It isn’t.
- I also liked how Commander Guy is technically supposed to be on “bail,” and he's watched by this woman who does absolutely nothing to impede him in any way. She mostly just stands around and looks impressed at him. It's like they said, “We need a female. Here have her watch him or something, I gotta go pee.”
- Some of the canned-corn dialogue I was forced to endure: One of the soldiers after firing a bunch of shots into GINO Godzilla: “Times like these, I wish I had a god to pray to!” Thanks for reminding me that the completely inconsequential aliens have a fake religion and that at least you have the decency not to froth out some stupid faux-religion truthism while shooting a giant tree Godzilla. Maybe just shut up and keep shooting though.
- Last but not least, the battle scenes were disappointing. Godzilla fighting a few drone ships in an open field is not exciting, and we know their machine guns are useless.
- And, of course, the first Godzilla is a GINO. No. Just no. You could’ve made him another monster and just save Real Godzilla for the finale like Luke in The Force Awakens.
- And how did GINO Godzilla just randomly appear right where the drones were and right where the people were landing and if they knew were Godzilla likes to wander and oh who the hell cares anymore.

Shin is very information-dense, but the dialogue makes sense and has a purpose: It is satire. This is not satire; this is lazy. A much better movie would be all the monsters attacking Earth, leading to humanity making a last-ditch effort to escape.

Positives:
- They mixed in a few licks from the music in Godzilla vs Biollante, which for this earth Godzilla is a nice touch.
- I still like Godzilla’s design
- The world-building is excellent and for that reason alone I’m willing to give Part 2 a chance.
- That’s really it. Pretty disappointed.

1 1/2 out of 5
Last edited by vibramrunner on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

I was taking you seriously until you started saying GINO. It's Godzilla. Get over it.

vibramrunner wrote:- Speaking of the aliens, they show up on fancy space ships at the height of the monster invasion to….. let Earth know that they’re screwed, and need to find Space Jesus in their hearts? SERIOUSLY? So these aliens can’t defend earth, and they also can’t even “brain wash” (the movie’s words, not mine) the few humans who survive the “Monsterocolypse.” Ya’ll are the stupidest aliens I’ve ever seen, and there’s literally no reason (IN THIS MOVIE, but perhaps for sequels) why you even bothered to show up in the first place!
It's literally stated in the movie that the aliens arrived because they both wanted Earth for themselves. Your problems with the aliens in this movie could be applied to just about any alien race in the series.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

[quote="PopInPicsPresents"]I was taking you seriously until you started saying GINO. It's Godzilla. Get over it.

Not the one that blew up, apparently. It is technically a wrong choice of words, as it's stated in the movie that it's not actually GODZILLA Godzilla, but a similar offshoot. But another monster in its place would've been my preference.

As far as the alien's motivations, I'm sure it was explainable, but they ultimately had no impact that I'm aware of in the first part's storyline, which made their inclusion a slog for me.

Also, I'm not sure how it can be said that these aliens are equally consequential compared to other Godzilla movie aliens. When parts 2 and 3 are taken into account, maybe, we'll see. That doesn't help my viewing experience with Part 1
Last edited by vibramrunner on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

vibramrunner wrote:Not the one that blew up, apparently. It is technically a wrong choice of words, as it's stated in the movie that it's not actually GODZILLA Godzilla, but a similar offshoot. But another monster in its place would've been my preference.
The point of having the Baby (let’s call it that cause that’s pretty much what it is) is to allow there to be some hope, and have the film focus on Godzilla, yet make sure it doesn’t seem too easy. It was hard killing the baby one that was only 50 m, and yet now there’s a 300m one, the original. It’s actually a great way to hype Godzilla, while at the same time letting characters have victories. Also it’s a good way to allow the humans to still be able to interact with a monster and have an interesting final sequence without just using a big mech.

Another monster would’ve completely ruined the point of the film. The baby Godzilla, plants and Servum, all proves that Godzilla is asexually reproducing and that the planet truly is a Godzilla planet.

I’ve seen some people annoyed by there being two Godzilla’s or there being a baby one that’s significantly weaker, but is anyone forgetting Minya/Godzilla junior as well? Would you say Godzilla Junior is GINO? Presumably this baby Godzilla would eventually grow giant like his daddy.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
vibramrunner wrote:Not the one that blew up, apparently. It is technically a wrong choice of words, as it's stated in the movie that it's not actually GODZILLA Godzilla, but a similar offshoot. But another monster in its place would've been my preference.
The point of having the Baby (let’s call it that cause that’s pretty much what it is) is to allow there to be some hope, and have the film focus on Godzilla, yet make sure it doesn’t seem too easy. It was hard killing the baby one that was only 50 m, and yet now there’s a 300m one, the original. It’s actually a great way to hype Godzilla, while at the same time letting characters have victories. Also it’s a good way to allow the humans to still be able to interact with a monster and have an interesting final sequence without just using a big mech.

Another monster would’ve completely ruined the point of the film. The baby Godzilla, plants and Servum, all proves that Godzilla is asexually reproducing and that the planet truly is a Godzilla planet.

I’ve seen some people annoyed by there being two Godzilla’s or there being a baby one that’s significantly weaker, but is anyone forgetting Minya/Godzilla junior as well? Would you say Godzilla Junior is GINO? Presumably this baby Godzilla would eventually grow giant like his daddy.
Yes, "GINO" was pretty inarticulate of myself because the movie stated he was, let's just say as you have, a "baby Godzilla." I understand it's inclusion, but it isn't my preference. And that's fine; it's mostly a personal issue. But I do have real issues with the movie overall. That said, I saw enough good to where I'm still invested in the next two movies.

Also, that is a good point about Godzilla reproducing asexually, but I'd also contend that if off-shoots like the Servum are possible, you could still have another Godzilla-ish type of monster.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I realized I’ve been heavily defending the film, so I should actually be clear on my thoughts cause I posted it like pages ago.

I don’t love it, and I accept why people dislike things like Yuko and side characters. The film also misses good opportunities to have more actions like the opening montage or the Servum scene. Yet, I enjoyed it, and I can see a lot of the individual scenes serving a function, nd all the revenge stuff is completely believable. I enjoyed the new stuff it brought to the table, and the first excelled at making me want more.

So even though I tentatively like it, and hope the sequels are better, my final thoughts will be dependent on those. We already got some good human action, now we need some Kaiju fights.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I realized I’ve been heavily defending the film, so I should actually be clear on my thoughts cause I posted it like pages ago.

I don’t love it, and I accept why people dislike things like Yuko and side characters. The film also misses good opportunities to have more actions like the opening montage or the Servum scene. Yet, I enjoyed it, and I can see a lot of the individual scenes serving a function, nd all the revenge stuff is completely believable. I enjoyed the new stuff it brought to the table, and the first excelled at making me want more.

So even though I tentatively like it, and hope the sequels are better, my final thoughts will be dependent on those. We already got some good human action, now we need some Kaiju fights.
I think this approach is the healthiest, and someone else mentioned how the first 20 minutes felt like a condensed 4-episode anime, which I can absolutely see. I think I let my hopes get to high, but the truth is: This did not need to be "good." It could even afford to leave a lot of questions/plot points unanswered -- especially with the sequel just months away. So, even though I'm disappointed, I'm trying to be objective. There's still plenty to build on for a good Part 2 and 3, I don't deny this.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I actually found myself really into the world building. I wasn't counting down the time until Godzilla showed up and that surprised me a bit. His presence is felt throughout the film though even in the vastness of space humanity is terrified of Godzilla and that constant fear I found to be great build up for his eventual onscreen appearance. Its different and its not for every one but seeing how the series because so repetitive in the late 90's and early 00's I really feel like Shin and this trilogy are awesome for taking Godzilla in new directions. We still have the Legendary series to give us the good old fashioned Godzilla we all love.