Honest opinion on Bagan?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.

What do you think about Bagan?

He's so cool and awesome!
28%
I like him, but I find him overrated.
28%
I am neutral.
19%
I don't like him.
5%
Bagan and his fans are one of the worst things in this fandom.
19%

Total votes: 135

Hidorajira98
Ronin

Re: Honest opinion on Bagan?

Post by Hidorajira98 »

I don't hate nor really like him, he's just 'meh.'

rodan fan1956
Ronin

Post by rodan fan1956 »

All I want is to just see him in an actual godzilla film

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I think he's an interesting and unique monster. Such a shame for all the movies he was planned to appear he got scrapped. Would've been nice to see him in that. Maybe hopefully he'll have his chance to shrine in the MonsterVerse as unlikely that maybe but Legendary could use that to their advantage as the GA as a whole would think he's an original monster like the M.U.T.O.'s and Skull Crawlers.

Either Bagan being some superpredator to Godzilla's species or stick to his original origin as in the game granted a bit different with Jonah (Supposedly Monarch's opposite and bad side) collecting samples of Godzilla's and King Ghidorah's DNA to create him as a means to get revenge on Monarch.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Either Bagan being some superpredator to Godzilla's species or stick to his original origin as in the game granted a bit different with Jonah (Supposedly Monarch's opposite and bad side) collecting samples of Godzilla's and King Ghidorah's DNA to create him as a means to get revenge on Monarch.
Jonah? :eh:
I'm not sure about the whole cell-splicing thing working out in the MonsterVerse. They'd probably stick with the rather generic alpha-predator angle, unless 2019 Mothra and/or King Ghidorah introduce some more mythical elements to the mix.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

GigaBowserG wrote:Jonah? :eh:
I'm not sure about the whole cell-splicing thing working out in the MonsterVerse. They'd probably stick with the rather generic alpha-predator angle, unless 2019 Mothra and/or King Ghidorah introduce some more mythical elements to the mix.
Wrong name of that supposed group. Could have swore that's what it was called.

Well not saying it will happen, but hey its just fun to speculate how this universe could start off grounded in reality before moving onto other elements. ;)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I think he's an interesting and unique monster. Such a shame for all the movies he was planned to appear he got scrapped. Would've been nice to see him in that. Maybe hopefully he'll have his chance to shrine in the MonsterVerse as unlikely that maybe but Legendary could use that to their advantage as the GA as a whole would think he's an original monster like the M.U.T.O.'s and Skull Crawlers.

Either Bagan being some superpredator to Godzilla's species or stick to his original origin as in the game granted a bit different with Jonah (Supposedly Monarch's opposite and bad side) collecting samples of Godzilla's and King Ghidorah's DNA to create him as a means to get revenge on Monarch.
Legendary should make more new kaiju before they start digging through Tohos trash bin for unused monsters

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Godzillian wrote:Legendary should make more new kaiju before they start digging through Tohos trash bin for unused monsters
Guess you could say as unlikely as it maybe, the MonsterVerse would great potential now for Bagan to finally make it on the cinema after being scrapped so many times from films he was going to appear in.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Love the legend of this unused kaiju, not a big fan of his actual design in Super Godzilla. Would have looked okay in a heisei film I guess, but I can't imagine him being a break from a Spacegodzilla or a Destroyah. Honestly, just create an entirely new monster design and slap the 'Bagan' name on it, and I'm happy.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

He was a new monster who was the final boss of a game where you had to transform Godzilla to beat him. Yeah, safe to say he left an impression on me in the same way Destroyer and Burning Godzilla's fight did, and how the new monster in The Lost Continent probably would have had the book come out. Don't get me wrong, I like the classic monsters like King Ghidorah, but I get excited when we get a new monster. That excitement becomes ten fold when the new monster is the final monster for something since they have no past I can't form any preconceptions or expectations on how the fight will end, it's a new monster so I'm going in blind and can actually feel like Godzilla might lose.

There's just so much mystery and even menace behind a new enemy, even more so when they are the big bad. In Super Godzilla Bagan destroyed a city with a nuke level explosion, and that was before he fully finished absorbing two extermly powerful monsters (Godzilla and King Ghidorah, respectively) DNA in his body. I feel like the DNA thing and destroying a city as just basic Bagan help, we know how dangerous Godzilla and King Ghidorah are, and here is this thing that quickly showed how dangerous it was before using their DNA to become even more dangerous than it already was.

The only other time a new monster fascinated me as much was the new one born from the Earth in The Lost Continent. They aren't just another Mechagodzilla or King Ghidorah, they are something new and unknown.

Anyways, yes, I like Bagan, not as much as I used to but he's pretty cool. Kind of bummed that Bandai said they considered putting Super Godzilla and Bagan in Godzilla PS3/PS4 but they didn't make the cut.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G1G4N_27
Yojimbo

Post by G1G4N_27 »

I like Bagan, but he's WAY too overrated. Would've been nice to see him in a film.
G1G4N_27
ImageImageImage

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

He can be fun to use as he's basically "What If" personified in the Godzilla franchise and Tanaka's fondness of him was a testament in audacity and stubbornness given the guy he was bound and determined to get it in a movie for over one and a half decades. Can be used as a "Final Boss", just a very strong monster, a shapeshifter, some alien related, an ancient nature god, or any combination of them.
Last edited by Tarbosaurus on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

I'm disappointed we never got him in a film. When I was growing up Super Godzilla came out years before I knew there were more G films made after Biollante, so when I played it as I kid I thought it was awesome that we saw new monsters like Battra, a Mecha version of King Ghidorah, and the imposing final boss Bagan. I remember getting really excited when trendmasters released toys for not only Battra and Mecha KG, but also the Super Godzilla-esque Space Godzilla, and was thinking they were making a movie or movies based on the game. It blew my mind when the Heisei films showed up here on VHS and in was finally able to see these new kaiju on film, as well as find out the reason the Trendmasters toys had what I thought were way off base origins for King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla, but I was always a little sad Bagan never showed up. Maybe it's just the nostalgia, but I'll probably always have a soft spot for him.

ScottA
Monsterland Worker

Post by ScottA »

I like Bagan.
Especially in a Bagan, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwich. Where the Bagan is nice and lean.
Last edited by ScottA on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Bagan is a soyboy.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

Post by Genjira Overwatch »

Bagan was a good idea, and would've been an excellent addition to the films, but way too many fans just flat out worship him to the point that I consider Bagan to be the center of a totally obscure cult within the fandom. To Sum 41 it all up, Bagan is cool, a lot of his fans are not.
Am I still on? Er, well, we now return you to... Whatever it was you were doing....
Idiots.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I think Bagan works best as what he is: a final boss of a Godzilla game. If he ever manages to crawl from the grave and reappear, than that's how he should be used; a final boss in a video game. Bagan doesn't seem to have any place in the Godzilla films; it's for the best if he sticks to what he's good at, if you ask me.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

He rests alongside good company like Obsidius and Krystalak. Let him stay in the video games and in the past.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:And since he's literally the final boss of a video game he has the prestige to make it seem like he can stand shoulder to shoulder with other heavyweights in the Godzilla series. Plus he was so tough Godzilla had to go Super Saiyan to defeat him, so he has that perception of being beyond anything the monster king had ever faced before or since...
That's my take on it at least.
To be fair, though, King Ghidorah is widely-regarded as one of, if not the strongest kaiju ever, yet he's the first boss in the Super Godzilla game and a total pushover at that. MechaGodzilla (1 or 2 depending on which region you're playing), Biollante and even Battra are tougher (but only because the latter can literally avoid any special attack other than super atomic breath). Even the upgraded Mecha-King Ghidorah can be beaten quite easily if you become Super Godzilla before fighting him, maybe moreso than vanilla KG and is still beatable as regular Godzilla (I've seen playthroughs with regular Godzilla beating him), so I'm not sure how much weight it holds. Even when fighting MKG as regular Godzilla, Biollante might actually be more of a challenge TBH. Is Bio really stronger than Mecha-King Ghidorah (or even regular Ghids)?

But yeah, I would've liked to see Bagan featured in a movie, sucks he got scrapped every time they were going to use him. Now he'll most likely be relegated to appearing exclusively as a video game boss, which he even got scrapped in some of those in which they were planning to use him (Godzilla: Unleashed). It is what it is.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

KManX89 wrote:But yeah, I would've liked to see Bagan featured in a movie, sucks he got scrapped every time they were going to use him. Now he'll most likely be relegated to appearing exclusively as a video game boss, which he even got scrapped in some of those in which they were planning to use him (Godzilla: Unleashed). It is what it is.
His exclusion from GU... shouldn't really be counted, it wasn't a serious consideration compared to someone like Hedorah or, however briefly, Zilla/G1998. It was more like he was a name on a list with other monsters. I'm sure if you asked the devs if the likes of Gabara or Manda were considered, there'd be reasons for why none of those were put on their to-do list.

Still, I guess it would've been neat to see what the Pipeworks team could have done with him, back when none of his abilities outside of his SNES appearance were really known.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

KManX89 wrote: To be fair, though, King Ghidorah is widely-regarded as one of, if not the strongest kaiju ever, yet he's the first boss in the Super Godzilla game and a total pushover at that.
Ghidorah being a pushover is consistent with how strong he actually is: not very strong at all.
Is Bio really stronger than Mecha-King Ghidorah (or even regular Ghids)?
Yes.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.