The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by ernesth100 »

If Ghidorah Isnt Alien In Origin I'd Be Surprised Tbh.
We already have Godzilla as the mutant radiated monster.
We know Mothra is going to be the Earth Guardian Goddess type of monster from Kong's After Credits.
So that only leaves the alien route which is the only thing the Legendverse refuses to touch for some reason.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

ernesth100 wrote:If Ghidorah Isnt Alien In Origin I'd Be Surprised Tbh.
We know Mothra is going to be the Earth Guardian Goddess type of monster from Kong's After Credits.
So that only leaves the alien route which is the only thing the Legendverse refuses to touch for some reason.
Why do you say that?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Well we've had Ghidorah with the following origins:
-Alien
-Mutant
-Earth Guardian

So I honestly believe that G2's Ghidorah needs to be an Earthly monster, but surrounded in mystery and the possibility of it's origins being elsewhere or alter by something fro such.
The second one based on the novelization as well as cancelled project of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah II. The King Ghidorah we saw was nothing more but an carbon copy of the real one which Godzilla would've probably faced in that next movie.

The Earth Guardian thing is also the only thing I didn't like about GMK since he just doesn't work as a good guy and IMO meant to be always evil which otherwise is one of the best Godzilla movies out there, even then he wasn't originally planned but Toho pressured Kaneko into using him since he was going to use Varan and Anguirus instead of Mothra and King Ghidorah.

I'll say it again I at most hope they imply King Ghidorah being an space monster, I could live with that. They don't have to go into full detail with his origin of where he came from. Just imply he came from space and that's it, other then that leave it as mystery. King Ghidorah ain't King Ghidorah without his space origins hence why I wasn't fond of him in GMK and could get away with the Heisei version since that was just a carbon copy of the real King Ghidorah.

Also another thing. This series is suppose to be grounded with naturalism/realism whatever you call it. What animal from earth has three heads may I ask? That's why I think it'd make sense for him to be an alien.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Expanded universe material for GMK (or maybe it was said in the movie, it's been a while) that Ghidorah was originally Yamato no Orochi and was actually a villainous creature before being slain by Japanese warriors. He turned good after the warriors prayed for his soul and hoped he would eventually return to defend Japan.

So, in actuality, Ghidorah has never 100% been a good guy! :D

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

UltramanGoji wrote:Expanded universe material for GMK (or maybe it was said in the movie, it's been a while) that Ghidorah was originally Yamato no Orochi and was actually a villainous creature before being slain by Japanese warriors. He turned good after the warriors prayed for his soul and hoped he would eventually return to defend Japan.

So, in actuality, Ghidorah has never 100% been a good guy! :D
Well that makes me better. Still missing the space monster aspect though. :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stefanos of Levanon
Monarch Researcher

Post by Stefanos of Levanon »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Well we've had Ghidorah with the following origins:
-Alien
-Mutant
-Earth Guardian

So I honestly believe that G2's Ghidorah needs to be an Earthly monster, but surrounded in mystery and the possibility of it's origins being elsewhere or alter by something fro such.
The second one based on the novelization as well as cancelled project of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah II. The King Ghidorah we saw was nothing more but an carbon copy of the real one which Godzilla would've probably faced in that next movie.

The Earth Guardian thing is also the only thing I didn't like about GMK since he just doesn't work as a good guy and IMO meant to be always evil which otherwise is one of the best Godzilla movies out there, even then he wasn't originally planned but Toho pressured Kaneko into using him since he was going to use Varan and Anguirus instead of Mothra and King Ghidorah.

I'll say it again I at most hope they imply King Ghidorah being an space monster, I could live with that. They don't have to go into full detail with his origin of where he came from. Just imply he came from space and that's it, other then that leave it as mystery. King Ghidorah ain't King Ghidorah without his space origins hence why I wasn't fond of him in GMK and could get away with the Heisei version since that was just a carbon copy of the real King Ghidorah.

Also another thing. This series is suppose to be grounded with naturalism/realism whatever you call it. What animal from earth has three heads may I ask? That's why I think it'd make sense for him to be an alien.
Venturing out and creating new incarnations of monsters/characters is what keeps things interesting and new. Granted they don't have to radically redesign the whole monster, but do something that we haven't seen before or change things enough to fit in with the story they've created.

The Mutant incarnation is likely my favorite as it feels like it fits into Godzilla's roster of monsters and could be easily explained.
>Creatures are mutated, become Ghidorah.
>Ghidorah has three heads because of mutation.
Simple

The Earth Guardian incarnation in terms of Asian culture and looks and feels like something that would appear in dark times.
>Ghidorah is an ancient beast who can be summoned to fight great evil.
>Three heads and overall design is crazy enough to fit within must Asian and Greek(Not counting others) mythos.
Simple.

The Alien incarnation doesn't fit it's design and really wouldn't in terms of an American adaptation or even in the Showa era.
>Ghidorah is an Alien.
-"Why does an alien look like a Dragon?"
-"Why does it have wings? You cant fly with wings in space!?"
-"How did it get through the atmosphere or breathe in space?"

One way of doing a American Ghidorah with a logical Space origins(without Aliens aiding) is if it was something similar to a "Alien Shin Godzilla", an alien organism that crashed on Earth millions of years ago and it always evolving and adapting.
Why does it have three heads? To combat multiple threats.
Why does it have wings? It starts out without wings, but grows them to fight Rodan and Mothra in the air.
Why does it look like a reptile? It fed on Dinosaurs and took a form based on what it ate.
Last edited by Stefanos of Levanon on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Venturing out and creating new incarnations of monsters/characters is what keeps things interesting and new. Granted they don't have to radically redesign the whole monster, but do something that we haven't seen before or change things enough to fit in with the story they've created.

The Mutant incarnation is likely my favorite as it feels like it fits into Godzilla's roster of monsters and could be easily explained.
>Creatures are mutated, become Ghidorah.
>Ghidorah has three heads because of mutation.
Simple

The Earth Guardian incarnation in terms of Asian culture and looks and feels like something that would appear in dark times.
>Ghidorah is an ancient beast who can be summoned to fight great evil.
>Three heads and overall design is crazy enough to fit within must Asian and Greek(Not counting others) mythos.
Simple.

The Alien incarnation doesn't fit it's design and really wouldn't in terms of an American adaptation or even in the Showa era.
>Ghidorah is an Alien.
-"Why does an alien look like a Dragon?"
-"Why does it have wings? You cant fly with wings in space!?"
-"How did it get through the atmosphere or breathe in space?"

One way of doing a American Ghidorah with a logical Space origins(without Aliens aiding) is if it was something similar to a "Alien Shin Godzilla", an alien organism that crashed on Earth millions of years ago and it always evolving and adapting.
Why does it have three heads? To combat multiple threats.
Why does it have wings? It starts out without wings, but grows them to fight Rodan and Mothra in the air.
Why does it look like a reptile? It fed on Dinosaurs and took a form based on what it ate.
I disagree but respect your opinion. I would however be down to your idea of "Alien Shin" King Ghidorah.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
Why do you say that?
Because its true and I have facts to back it up? :lol:
I apologize for the sarcasm my response.
Last edited by ernesth100 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

ernesth100 wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
Why do you say that?
Because its true and I have facts to back it up? :lol:
I apologize for the sarcasm my response.
Post, the facts, then.

Stefanos of Levanon
Monarch Researcher

Post by Stefanos of Levanon »

Today's audience has seen the "It's an alien!" "It's from Space!" trope so much that it's lost it's flare.
Having something be from space is one of the easiest cop outs in writing, mostly because it takes no thought or effort to explain it, meaning it's considered boring by today's standards.

During the 50's in America and Showa Era(namely the 60's), having a monster or object come from space seemed like the best way of making an exciting spectacle as people weren't as informed on the topic and the rule was "Anything can happen!", it was the height of the Space Race and was a perfect replacement to magic or radioactivity as an explanation for something.
Now the average person is much more alert, aware, have access to the internet, and has the bare basic knowledge on Space and knows what can and can not happen.
The exciting nature and mysteries of space is still there, but it lost a lot of it's charm once rules have been placed on the subject, which limits what can be considered "From Space". Now you have to include the science of how if got passed the atmosphere, how did it survive in the vacuum of space for long ranges of travel, and many more questions.

Considering Michael Dougherty's backlog, I honestly and truly expect Ghidorah to be something supernatural and something among the lines of a Demon and nemesis to Mothra, a Good vs. Evil scenario that happens to include Godzilla and Rodan. Godzilla has been played up as a "Balancer of Nature", so it would only make sense for Godzilla to go after Ghidorah in prehistoric times for attempting to disrupt natural order.
Last edited by Stefanos of Levanon on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:
Considering Michael Dougherty's backlog, I honestly and truly expect Ghidorah to be something supernatural and something among the lines of a Demon and nemesis to Mothra, a Good vs. Evil scenario that happens to include Godzilla and Rodan. Godzilla has been played up as a "Balancer of Nature", so it would only make sense for Godzilla to go after Ghidorah in prehistoric times for attempting to disrupt natural order.
Actually that's even more interesting. Turned my whole view around Demon Ghidorah. Interesting angle.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Considering Michael Dougherty's backlog, I honestly and truly expect Ghidorah to be something supernatural and something among the lines of a Demon and nemesis to Mothra, a Good vs. Evil scenario that happens to include Godzilla and Rodan. Godzilla has been played up as a "Balancer of Nature", so it would only make sense for Godzilla to go after Ghidorah in prehistoric times for attempting to disrupt natural order.
I'd be honestly down to that. Could even go as far as to have that King Ghidorah had been responsible of all the mass extinctions on earth to represent his threat level. As in why there are no Permian animals, dinosaurs, ice age megafauna, etc to this day and King Ghidorah is arising again to cause yet another mass extinction. The extinction of modern civilization and animals today. ;)

Probably the only aspect I could live with without giving King Ghidorah his alien origin granted I still wish they at least imply he's from space.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I think with the space origin you can have simply be that meterors with bacterial bits from space (we have found microbes from space before and if you can prove it's a something that can happen in real life, then it automatically debunks cop out criticism) came down and then mutated an already existing kaiju into what is now King ghidorah.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

darthzilla99 wrote:I think with the space origin you can have simply be that meterors with bacterial bits from space (we have found microbes from space before and if you can prove it's a something that can happen in real life, then it automatically debunks cop out criticism) came down and then mutated an already existing kaiju into what is now King ghidorah.
Ohhh I like that idea too. That way King Ghidorah retains some elements of his space origin as the cosmic destroyer of worlds he is.

This and the whole supernatural demon thing. I can't decide which one I want more.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I...can live with Ghidorah being an actual demon or strongly implied to be one. That could be neat. Be a counterpoint to the GMK Ghidorah.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I've always loved the idea of a demon Ghidorah I just wasn't sure they'd be willing to go a supernatural route especially with everyone acting like aliens are too far fetched for the MonsterVerse.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I think whatever Ghidorah's origin, he shouldn't naturally be born on Earth. He can be naturally born / genetically created in space, or I'd be fine with the demonic angle. Having him be just another monster living around the time of Godzilla would be lame to me.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

GalacticPetey wrote:I think whatever Ghidorah's origin, he shouldn't naturally be born on Earth. He can be naturally born / genetically created in space, or I'd be fine with the demonic angle. Having him be just another monster living around the time of Godzilla would be lame to me.
What do you think of the idea that darthzilla gave out with King Ghidorah originally being an earth monster before contact with alien bacteria/microbes mutating him?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Eh, I'd rather a simpler backstory so we don't have to spend time dwelling on it in the film. It's why I like the idea of him just being alien. Boom, all the backstory you need.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

GalacticPetey wrote:Eh, I'd rather a simpler backstory so we don't have to spend time dwelling on it in the film. It's why I like the idea of him just being alien. Boom, all the backstory you need.
Alright just asked was all.