Godzilla 1954 Remake

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla 1954 Remake

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:I feel we had a nice "remake" with Shin Godzilla. I know it's technically a reboot, but it made for a good modern remake of sorts.
Reboot=/=remake
This is 100% untrue. A reboot can also be a remake.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

LegendZilla wrote:Since someone else on these forms decided to discuss the potential of a Godzilla Vs Hedorah remake of all films, I have decided to pitch my own idea of a remake. Okay, I realize that I have brought this idea up before and it's bound to trigger most of you guys, but is there at least anyone other than myself and Great MM willing to be open towards such a notion as Toho one day doing a full-on remake of the original 1954 Godzilla? I know the film itself is already a classic and rightfully so, but we all have to admit that is not perfect as the case with every film ever made. I am by no means saying that it needs to be superior to the original, but as MM suggested, what few changes do you think would be necessary as a means to improve upon other than effects?

My suggestions are :

* Include a flashback of Emiko and either Ogata or Serizawa dating and/or bonding as teenagers, since such a scene was pitched for the original film, but never filmed. Such a scene might help flesh out the characters slightly more.

* Flesh out the character of that one camera man who befriends Senkichi a bit more.

* Show one or two minutes of Yamane gaining custody of Senkichi, or at least imply it.

* Rather than getting scared off by mere fighter jets, have Godzilla leave Tokyo on his own accord.

How are those for suggestions?
What is funny, I am writing a pseudo-remake/retelling of the original Godzilla with mixes of the 1984 film and their Americanized counterparts. It's something I do for fun and I found it relaxing to work on it. I will have to share the storyline soon
Rest in Peace Victoria

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:I feel we had a nice "remake" with Shin Godzilla. I know it's technically a reboot, but it made for a good modern remake of sorts.
Reboot=/=remake
This. All remakes are reboots, but not all reboots are remakes.

And for remaking of the original, it'd have to be done well. As someone has mentioned before, KK'05 is a worthy example of a well done remake. I also wouldn't be opposed to a mini-series as a remake to help expand on characters and issues presented in the original film. Like a 3 part series, an hour to an hour in a half in length.

No Peter Jackson style trilogy, though. Not sure if the original story could be expanded that much.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

PRIMEVAL wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Reboot=/=remake
This. All remakes are reboots, but not all reboots are remakes.

And for remaking of the original, it'd have to be done well. As someone has mentioned before, KK'05 is a worthy example of a well done remake. I also wouldn't be opposed to a mini-series as a remake to help expand on characters and issues presented in the original film. Like a 3 part series, an hour to an hour in a half in length.

No Peter Jackson style trilogy, though. Not sure if the original story could be expanded that much.
I’d have a full 2-hour film.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I wouldn't mind having a series of novels to both expand upon existing lore and adding new lore for the Showa universe, like how Star Wars has a bunch of novels that directly supplement and add-on to the films.

I'd love to see a story detailing King Ghidorah's destruction of Venus, for example.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Actually, a period prequel film about Serizawa's history- how he got the eyepatch, his work on this revolutionary science, meeting with (but ultimately alienation of without realizing it) Emiko, maybe against a background of the war... done right, that could be a really cool film!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I had this idea for a fanfic that was basically about Dr. Serizawa, Emiko, Steve Martin, and Dr. Mafune in their college days.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have noticed people justify the existence remakes such as John Carpenter’s The Thing and Invasion of The Body Snatchers by saying they we’re not so much remakes as much as re-adaptations of literary works. By that logic, would that justify a re-adaptation of Jaws or Jurassic Park?

Anyways, Happy New Year to all of you. ;)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:I have noticed people justify the existence remakes such as John Carpenter’s The Thing and Invasion of The Body Snatchers by saying they we’re not so much remakes as much as re-adaptations of literary works. By that logic, would that justify a re-adaptation of Jaws or Jurassic Park?
Totally. In the case of JP, I actually think a re-adaptation would be a lot more interesting than further sequels.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I have noticed people justify the existence remakes such as John Carpenter’s The Thing and Invasion of The Body Snatchers by saying they we’re not so much remakes as much as re-adaptations of literary works. By that logic, would that justify a re-adaptation of Jaws or Jurassic Park?
Totally. In the case of JP, I actually think a re-adaptation would be a lot more interesting than further sequels.
Yeah and just how many times has A Christmas Carol, Les Miserables or Treasure Island been adapted?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

LegendZilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Yeah and just how many times has A Christmas Carol, Les Miserables or Treasure Island been adapted?
I would love to see another attempt at a film adaption of the musical version of Les Mis. The 2012 film suffers from some questionable choices in the realm of cinematography and some poor casting (casting people who can't sing very well in a musical).

Jurassic Park's film adaptation is such a departure from the book that I would gladly accept a re-adaptation. Lost World even more so.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Heck, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde got about 11 different adaptations just during the silent era.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I'd love a re-adaption of Jurassic Park, especially if the dinosaurs were updated to be more scientifically accurate with what we currently understand about them.

Let's give those raptors some feathers already!
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I don't know if I'm ready to see raging jerk-hole John Hammond, though...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gerdzerl wrote:I'd love a re-adaption of Jurassic Park, especially if the dinosaurs were updated to be more scientifically accurate with what we currently understand about them.

Doesn't make sense to put feathers on JP Velociraptors in the first place. Because they don't look nor act like the real ones would and are like 3x their size.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jurassic World explains the scientific inaccuracies of the dinosaurs. Dr. Wu makes a point to say if they used actual unaltered DNA most of the dinosaurs would "look quite different" but that the company wanted "more teeth". I always took this as the writers explaining away the scientific inaccuracies as the DNA sequence was always altered in the original films and modified with amphibian DNA.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

MM Raids Again wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:I'd love a re-adaption of Jurassic Park, especially if the dinosaurs were updated to be more scientifically accurate with what we currently understand about them.

Doesn't make sense to put feathers on JP Velociraptors in the first place. Because they don't look nor act like the real ones would and are like 3x their size.
I'm not talking about the pre-existing JP raptors, though. I'm talking about brand new raptors for a brand new and separate continuity, a reboot, unconnected to the existing film series aside from brand name.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If such a hypothetical remake/re-adaptation can rectify Jurassic Park in that regard, maybe the same can be done in a Godzilla 1954 remake with Dr.Yamane’s lecture where he erroneously says the Dinosaurs were 2 million years ago. Just thought I’d bring the thread back on topic.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stefanos of Levanon
Monarch Researcher

Post by Stefanos of Levanon »

I would love to see a remake of 54 in the style of Thunderbirds, marionette puppetry.
The Oxygen Destroyer scene being done to look underwater, but in reality is them just setting Godzilla's puppet on fire and us watching it burn.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here’s another idea I’d like to pitch for a remake. Judging by how many of you are okay with far-fetched ideas such as lost WW2 souls, tail-lasers or even Godzilla being plant-based, how would you feel if Godzilla was not strictly bipedal? For example he would usually rise up on two legs either to breathe fire or navigate through water.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.