TK's "Figure of the Year" 2017 Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.

Figure of the Year 2017

Poll ended at Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 pm

SHF Gomora
8%
NECA Shin Godzilla
21%
X-PLUS Gigantic Shin Godzilla
25%
Bandai Skull Gomora
No votes
Bandai Zegan
No votes
SHMA Godzilla 2017
25%
X-PLUS DeFoReal Shin Godzilla 4th Form
4%
Bandai Webshop Exclusive Gargantuas
17%

Total votes: 24

UltramanGoji

TK's "Figure of the Year" 2017 Thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

At the end of the year, since 2014 or so, we've had a forum-wide vote to determine the best new figure released that year. 2017 has flown by and it's time again to vote for your picks!

Rules (so we don't have arguments):

- Cast your votes in bold! This makes it easier to count up the votes when the poll is being created.

- 1 vote per user, please. Changing your vote is allowed, but please just edit a previous post instead of creating a new one, for convenience sake!

What Does Not Qualify:

- Any figure released prior to December 31st 2016. For imported figures, we will go by Japanese release date.

- Straight reissues of molds released prior to 2017. The figure's mold or paint scheme must be significantly altered for it to count. This means Special Color versions of SHMA figures are allowed, but X-PLUS figures repainted a slightly different shade of grey are not. The new Bandai MMS Burning Godzilla and Destoroyah are difficult to determine, since not many people ordered the figure.

- Things that can be considered "general merchandise" (Sideshow statues, plush toys, ornaments etc.)

- Non-kaiju figures. The toy has to be based on some sort of kaiju-related franchise.

Below is a list of figures that were released this year. This list will initially be incomplete, so please don't hesitate to help out! I am not knowledgeable on the new molds from companies like X-PLUS.

Votes will be tallied up on January 3rd, so you have a week to vote! Happy voting!

Out of all these figures, the only ones I have in hand are SHF Metron and NECA Shin Godzilla. I don't really think either are FOTY material, so I will cast my vote for SHF Gomora.

And for funsies, here's the past winners!

2016 - SHMA Godzilla 1954/SHF Zetton (Semi-tie; poll ran for longer than should've resulting in G54 garnering an extra vote. Zetton was informally declared the winner)
2015 - NECA Godzilla 1954
2014 - NECA 24" HTT Godzilla 2014
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Re: TK's "Figure of the Year" 2017 Thread

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

I'm really torn between 4 of the figures you listed.

arrrggghhhhhhhhH!!!!!

Gonna have to go with Neca Shin-Godzilla.

It's not perfect, but for its price point it's really, really good.
Last edited by Ultra_Henshin_Fan on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Xplus Gigantic Shin Godzilla. I know a lot of people couldn't afford it but damn what an incredible hunk of plastic. Just a beautifully sculpted piece.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Grunkle Sans
Interpol Agent

Post by Grunkle Sans »

NECA Shin Godzilla. The pricepoint and availability boost the decent sculpt. I remember back when we were all waiting in anticipation for the release, and boy, it wasn't a letdown.
Last edited by Grunkle Sans on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:gigan:

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

NECA Shin. It's a fantastic figure at its price point.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Xplus Gigantic Shin Godzilla. I know a lot of people couldn't afford it but damn what an incredible hunk of plastic. Just a beautifully sculpted piece.
You're awesome looking X-plus pic got me to start looking at the Banpresto and some of the larger Shins.

....yeah I'll blame you, that's the ticket,..when my wallet screams I'll be like, "It's all TLK's fault!"

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

*Raises hand.

Shouldn't we have the nominations thread first or are we...
Go(ing) right into it?
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SpaceG92 wrote:*Raises hand.

Shouldn't we have the nominations thread first or are we...
Go(ing) right into it?
I just merged the two since I figured it'd be easier to manage. I can just create a poll with the choices when all the votes are tallied.

ZombieFriedChicken
GPN Volunteer

Post by ZombieFriedChicken »

X-Plus Gigantic Shin. Nothing is even close.

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

I’d like to nominate both the Bandai Skull Gomora and Zegan for the list. Though a little lacking in the paint department (typical for Bandai nowadays in their new Ultraman lines), both feature outstanding sculpts for great prices.
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

This is actually rather difficult, but I think I have to agree that it's NECA Shin Godzilla due to the price point in relevance to what you get for that price.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

ゴジマン
G-Force Personnel

Post by ゴジマン »

I'd like to nominate the Sh Monsterarts Godzilla 2017.
Yes, Hatsune is my Waifu...
goji89 wrote:Shin Goji looks like he has a red apron on. Guess he's still cooking himself extra crispy. :lol: .

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ArchdukeSquidlyIII wrote:I’d like to nominate both the Bandai Skull Gomora and Zegan for the list. Though a little lacking in the paint department (typical for Bandai nowadays in their new Ultraman lines), both feature outstanding sculpts for great prices.
Noted and added!
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I'd like to nominate X-Plus DefoReal Shin Godzilla 4th form, which I affectionately call Tiny Shin.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

So many well-done and well-received figures this year (especially in comparison to previous years)!

My pick for best figure(s) this year is/are the Webshop Exclusive Gaira and Sanda.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Of the figures I own, the X-Plus Shin Godzilla Form 2 absolutely takes the cake. It's mind-bogglingly gorgeous, easily one of the best sculpts and paint jobs I have ever seen - at least in my collection - from any figure in any line, and it even trounces larger figures like Kaiser ghidorah, also released this year.

But on the other hand, going off of pictures alone, the X-Plus Gigantic Shin Godzilla looks like a genuine work of art... but I don't own him. Can I vote for a figure I know is the best but I also don't have in my collection?

Yes, yes I can. Especially since almost no one else owns - and therefore, wouldn't vote for - the Form 2 figure.

X-Plus Gigantic Shin Godzilla is my official nomination.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

While SHF Gomora and NECA Shin Godzilla are close runners-up, I have to cast my ONE vote for SHMA GODZILLA 2017. Impressive. Most impressive...

BTW, TK's bold print feature does not transfer over to this 'puter well. And this is a NEW 'puter, so it IS at TK's end, not HERE...

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

You uh, need to use the BB codes.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

I cast my vote for the Neca Shin Godzilla. It’s a great figure for the price and it has some good Details and paint .I should know. I own three :D
Last edited by godzilla1541 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Darth Kiryu wrote:You uh, need to use the BB codes.
I did - didn't work... :?