Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by goji1986 »

KingKaiju wrote:Are there any DVD/Blu Ray options for U.S. customers, where I'm not having to deal with ridiculous dubtitles or crappy titles that cover the Japanese title sequences? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but when I see someone say "Mecha G", when they clearly say "Kiryu", it bugs the hell out of me. That, on top of having to read "Godzilla: Tokyo SOS" in crappy photoshop font, while the sequence is moving along in the background. I would love to own all the Japanese Godzilla films on DVD or Blu Ray, but I can't seem to not find the super edited crap like that. I loved the Toho Master Collection from a few years back, with Rodan, War of the Gargantuas, and the first six godzilla films and a few other showa films.
We are stuck with what Sony has provided. Otherwise you have to import from Japan and deal with no subtitles. Legally, of course.
Last edited by goji1986 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Damn it!! And, if I'm understanding this correctly, we'll likely never get a proper release of the original Biollante and KK vs. Godzilla films via rights issues, right?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

...What?

Biollante got a Blu-Ray and DVD release. What are you talking about?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Alright, so, what is the best way to go about seeing the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla? This is the only Japanese version I have NOT seen, and I continue to hear how different it is. Am I relegated to the bootleg market?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Maritonic wrote:Alright, so, what is the best way to go about seeing the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla? This is the only Japanese version I have NOT seen, and I continue to hear how different it is. Am I relegated to the bootleg market?
If you wanna watch it subtitled, yes.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Goji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Alright, so, what is the best way to go about seeing the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla? This is the only Japanese version I have NOT seen, and I continue to hear how different it is. Am I relegated to the bootleg market?
Danke.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

UltramanGoji wrote:...What?

Biollante got a Blu-Ray and DVD release. What are you talking about?
I just heard that Miramax owns some of the rights to the film, so that's why we never got a release of the original Japanese version. I wasn't aware that that release had both versions.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

The DVD/Blu-ray release uses the Toho HD transfer, which is the Japanese version, but also includes the English dub as an audio option alongside the Japanese track.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Oh shit. Well, guess I need to find a copy for a decent price.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Wait, there isn't some "US Version" of Biollante I've never heard of right? As far as I know, there is simply the Japanese cut of the film that was dubbed in English...without any other edits to the film(opening/ending/title cards and text notwithstanding).
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Chrispy_G wrote:Wait, there isn't some "US Version" of Biollante I've never heard of right? As far as I know, there is simply the Japanese cut of the film that was dubbed in English...without any other edits to the film(opening/ending/title cards and text notwithstanding).
No. The version released here in '92 was Toho's English version.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

morbidmovies
Yojimbo

Post by morbidmovies »

Not sure where to put this but if anyone's looking for the Vol. 3 DVD of Godzilla the Animated Series, someone has a BUNCH of them on eBay for $24.99 each. It's long OOP and usually $80-$100.
Last edited by morbidmovies on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

morbidmovies wrote:Not sure where to put this but if anyone's looking for the Vol. 2 DVD of Godzilla the Animated Series, someone has a BUNCH of them on eBay for $24.99 each. It's long OOP and usually $80-$100.
This confuses me. If you're referring to Godzilla The Series (based on the 1998 film), then why wouldn't you buy the Complete series which is readily available for less than $10. If you're referring to Godzilla the Series by Hannah Barbera, the Vol 2 DVD is also available for cheaper than that, and is usually MUCH cheaper than $80. It's usually Vol. 3 of the Hannah Barbera series that's extremely expensive.

morbidmovies
Yojimbo

Post by morbidmovies »

Maritonic wrote:
morbidmovies wrote:Not sure where to put this but if anyone's looking for the Vol. 2 DVD of Godzilla the Animated Series, someone has a BUNCH of them on eBay for $24.99 each. It's long OOP and usually $80-$100.
This confuses me. If you're referring to Godzilla The Series (based on the 1998 film), then why wouldn't you buy the Complete series which is readily available for less than $10. If you're referring to Godzilla the Series by Hannah Barbera, the Vol 2 DVD is also available for cheaper than that, and is usually MUCH cheaper than $80. It's usually Vol. 3 of the Hannah Barbera series that's extremely expensive.
My bad, I meant it's the Vol. 3 for $24.99. Low feedback seller so it's a bit sketchy but that cheap is worth dealing with Buyer Protection lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Godzilla-The-O ... Sw1QpaSN~n

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

morbidmovies wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
My bad, I meant it's the Vol. 3 for $24.99. Low feedback seller so it's a bit sketchy but that cheap is worth dealing with Buyer Protection lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Godzilla-The-O ... Sw1QpaSN~n

Ah yeah. Vol 3 is ridiculously hard to find for that cheap. Carry on :).

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Maritonic wrote:
Goji wrote:
Danke.
Unfortunately, there is a problem:
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

KingKaiju wrote:Damn it!! And, if I'm understanding this correctly, we'll likely never get a proper release of the original Biollante and KK vs. Godzilla films via rights issues, right?
We may never see a decent version of KK vs. Godzilla. Universal owns both international distributions rights and the negative and it's questionable if they archived the footage they didn't use in the U.S. cut. And if they did they show very little interest into releasing the film into anything else but a budget title. If a third party studio would like to release an unaltered version they would have to sub-license the film through Universal as a limited release. Toho's version of the film is of low quality because they seem uninterested in using what resources Universal can provide them to edit the best possible Japanese master. Maybe Toho is just too cheap to pay for master rights.
Last edited by Malchik on Wed May 30, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Malchik wrote:Toho’s version of the film is of low quality because they seem uninterested in using what resources Universal can provide them to edit the best possible Japanese master. Maybe Toho is just too cheap to pay for master rights.
You do know Toho has restored the film in 4K, right? They’ve found all the missing elements.

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hakaima_taka/35982828.html
Last edited by goji1986 on Thu May 31, 2018 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

goji1986 wrote:
Malchik wrote:Toho’s version of the film is of low quality because they seem uninterested in using what resources Universal can provide them to edit the best possible Japanese master. Maybe Toho is just too cheap to pay for master rights.
You do know Toho has restored the film in 4K, right? They’ve found all the missing elements.

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hakaima_taka/35982828.html
I'm very happy to be wrong.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Malchik wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Damn it!! And, if I'm understanding this correctly, we'll likely never get a proper release of the original Biollante and KK vs. Godzilla films via rights issues, right?
We may never see a decent version of KK vs. Godzilla. Universal owns both international distributions rights and the negative and it's questionable if they archived the footage they didn't use in the U.S. cut. And if they did they show very little interest into releasing the film into anything else but a budget title. If a third party studio would like to release an unaltered version they would have to sub-license the film through Universal as a limited release. Toho's version of the film is of low quality because they seem uninterested in using what resources Universal can provide them to edit the best possible Japanese master. Maybe Toho is just too cheap to pay for master rights.
That sucks so much. God(zilla)!! I just want proper release for every fiiiiiilm!!