Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yup, and expensive as hell. I'm trying to stick to official and Region 1 releases only. Believe me, I would LOVE a set of Toho blus, but I just can't pull the trigger.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Has anyone here attempted to rent/download the Amazon.jp Prime Video versions of the Toho kaiju library? There's quite a few in HD that aren't on Blu, like FCTW and "The Last War". Can you even do such a thing across regions?

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Is there any HD version of Gamera vs Gyaos that have the Daiei International dub?
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

morgoth wrote:Is there any HD version of Gamera vs Gyaos that have the Daiei International dub?
Officially, no. Just fan made stuff.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Goji wrote:
morgoth wrote:Is there any HD version of Gamera vs Gyaos that have the Daiei International dub?
Any of the fan stuff any good?
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

My God, trying to buy the Media Blasters Toho Sci-Fi/Kaiju films are like buying the Dragon Boxes.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

morgoth wrote:
Goji wrote:
Any of the fan stuff any good?
No clue. I haven't bothered. I just know they exist.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anyone willing to take a smart guess as to when the rest of the Saperstein/UPA pack will be released on Blu-Ray in North America?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:My God, trying to buy the Media Blasters Toho Sci-Fi/Kaiju films are like buying the Dragon Boxes.
I hear you, haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm waiting/hoping/praying all those get another release soon.

That and we finally get the proper version of Gorath.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

I guess this is the right thread.

Toho is releasing Matango, Frankenstein Conquers the World, and the Mothra trilogy on blu-ray in Japan on November 3.

http://kaijuhometheatre.blogspot.com/20 ... in-vs.html

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

That looks like an awesome website...I wish there was a way to follow them on Twitter.

Hoping these blurays get a region 1 release!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Hoping these blurays get a region 1 release!
Don't count on it. Nobody knows if Media Blasters even still has the rights to these, but even if they do, they've made it abundantly clear that they're not interested in releasing Blu-Rays of any of the non-Godzilla Toho titles.
Last edited by Goji on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I'll still hold out some hope, albeit however small.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

I want to pick up other toho kaiju films and they are super pricey. Hoping for some newer releases.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

August Ragone posted this on Twitter. Will have to see how this turns out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RagoneAugust ... 2093132800
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:August Ragone posted this on Twitter. Will have to see how this turns out.

Sure be nice if it led to a U.S. Blu-ray release of some of those... or heck, even an official DVD release of Son of Godzilla. (I mean, on the one hand, I don't want to have to re-buy my whole collection, but on the other hand... it'd be great to have HD prints!)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:August Ragone posted this on Twitter. Will have to see how this turns out.

Sure be nice if it led to a U.S. Blu-ray release of some of those... or heck, even an official DVD release of Son of Godzilla. (I mean, on the one hand, I don't want to have to re-buy my whole collection, but on the other hand... it'd be great to have HD prints!)
I agree. I don't want to re-buy everything, BUT I'd LOVE to see what Criterion would cook up for extras.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Are there any DVD/Blu Ray options for U.S. customers, where I'm not having to deal with ridiculous dubtitles or crappy titles that cover the Japanese title sequences? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but when I see someone say "Mecha G", when they clearly say "Kiryu", it bugs the hell out of me. That, on top of having to read "Godzilla: Tokyo SOS" in crappy photoshop font, while the sequence is moving along in the background. I would love to own all the Japanese Godzilla films on DVD or Blu Ray, but I can't seem to not find the super edited crap like that. I loved the Toho Master Collection from a few years back, with Rodan, War of the Gargantuas, and the first six godzilla films and a few other showa films.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KingKaiju wrote:Are there any DVD/Blu Ray options for U.S. customers, where I'm not having to deal with ridiculous dubtitles or crappy titles that cover the Japanese title sequences? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but when I see someone say "Mecha G", when they clearly say "Kiryu", it bugs the hell out of me. That, on top of having to read "Godzilla: Tokyo SOS" in crappy photoshop font, while the sequence is moving along in the background. I would love to own all the Japanese Godzilla films on DVD or Blu Ray, but I can't seem to not find the super edited crap like that. I loved the Toho Master Collection from a few years back, with Rodan, War of the Gargantuas, and the first six godzilla films and a few other showa films.
This has been a complaint of mine for a while. Seeing GODZILLA MOTHRA KING GHIDORAH block the beautiful Japanese text intro of GMK has long bothered me. The only times I haven't experienced it has been on the bootleg market for OOP films that I've acquired. Where they are literally just the Japanese film with English subtitles.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Are there any DVD/Blu Ray options for U.S. customers, where I'm not having to deal with ridiculous dubtitles or crappy titles that cover the Japanese title sequences? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but when I see someone say "Mecha G", when they clearly say "Kiryu", it bugs the hell out of me. That, on top of having to read "Godzilla: Tokyo SOS" in crappy photoshop font, while the sequence is moving along in the background. I would love to own all the Japanese Godzilla films on DVD or Blu Ray, but I can't seem to not find the super edited crap like that. I loved the Toho Master Collection from a few years back, with Rodan, War of the Gargantuas, and the first six godzilla films and a few other showa films.
This has been a complaint of mine for a while. Seeing GODZILLA MOTHRA KING GHIDORAH block the beautiful Japanese text intro of GMK has long bothered me. The only times I haven't experienced it has been on the bootleg market for OOP films that I've acquired. Where they are literally just the Japanese film with English subtitles.
Very much agreed, in both cases!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!