"Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
orga_000
Yojimbo

Re: "Interesting" Assumptions You've Heard From Non-Fans

Post by orga_000 »

Living Corpse wrote:But I have to wonder did she say this before or after Godzilla 2014 came out? I mean you don't need to see the movie to know Godzilla is a giant dinosaur when the commercials and tv spots show the moster.
She said that in like 2009 we were both 14 and my friend was 'in' to kaiju but not like an expert. She just liked the fights.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

So other things I remember.

- He used to think Godzilla monsters talked because he saw parts of Godzilla's Revenge when he was little and thought every movie was like that and refused to watch them. This is after repeatedly explaining to him that was a kids dream in one movie.

- "You know I learned that Godzilla isn't really the star of his movies." Godzilla is an animal that can't talk. He's not Optimums Prime giving long speeches to the Autobots, kind of hard to do long shots with him or show off his personality outside of fights or doing goofy things. Which leads to...

- Doesn't like when they have Godzilla do goofy shit. Well kind of hard to show off his personality. Which ironically leads to...

- Was watching one of the Kiryu films when he came over. He thought it was dumb that Godzilla removed Kiryu's blade from his arm and threw it away instead of using it as a weapon. Yeah no, if Godzilla started shanking Kiryu I'd find that cheesy. I wouldn't be against it, but it'd kind of ruin the mood the Kiryu films were going for.

- He asked me, not the other way around, to take him to see Godzilla 2014 after he saw the trailer. As the movie was drawing near I heard nothing from him. I called the night before the movie came out to know if we were still going together. "Ah gee I'm sorry dude, my brother and I are at Comic-Con right now." Okay, I honestly wouldn't be mad had he told me ahead of time. No, I had to call him to find out. Jesus Christ dude, how many times do you have to see women and teenage girls cosplaying Cammy? I've seen plenty of asses at conventions or the beach, it's nothing special. Coming from a horndog, that's saying a lot.

Mr. Toots and I just went without him.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

After a speech about Godzilla I performed for a class: "...I thought Godzilla was the monkey." - Some ditzy girl, 2009.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

One more I forgot. During the military action in Shin,he sees the tanks, looks at me and says toys in a matter of fact way. I tell him they are real tanks. He looks surprised and confused. I wanna say we live 2017, give Japan some credit. But for all I know he thinks it's dumb they didn't CGI the tanks.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Living Corpse wrote:One more I forgot. During the military action in Shin,he sees the tanks, looks at me and says toys in a matter of fact way. I tell him they are real tanks. He looks surprised and confused. I wanna say we live 2017, give Japan some credit. But for all I know he thinks it's dumb they didn't CGI the tanks.
The best part of it all is that the tanks were CGI.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Misread post and got triggered*

Whoops
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Cybermat47 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:One more I forgot. During the military action in Shin,he sees the tanks, looks at me and says toys in a matter of fact way. I tell him they are real tanks. He looks surprised and confused. I wanna say we live 2017, give Japan some credit. But for all I know he thinks it's dumb they didn't CGI the tanks.
In some p[arts yes, but they also used real tanks.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Cybermat47 wrote:
In some p[arts yes, but they also used real tanks.
AH HA! Now I can reinstate my deleted post!

No doubt they could probably lease out some AFV's, but I doubt they secured several Type-10's. Seeing as the report number is in the mid 100's. If they leased - say 10, that's 10% of the standing force of the latest MBT. Yeaaa - I don't see a Defense Force leasing a top of line military vehicle for a movie where as the cost of said vehicle is ~8.9m USD. It kinda defies common sense as your "technically" compromising security but - hey - everyone has different ideals :P Last that I checked the behind the scenes, all the Type-10's were CGI.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SpaceG92 wrote: AH HA! Now I can reinstate my deleted post!

No doubt they could probably lease out some AFV's, but I doubt they secured several Type-10's. Seeing as the report number is in the mid 100's. If they leased - say 10, that's 10% of the standing force of the latest MBT. Yeaaa - I don't see a Defense Force leasing a top of line military vehicle for a movie where as the cost of said vehicle is ~8.9m USD. It kinda defies common sense as your "technically" compromising security but - hey - everyone has different ideals :P Last that I checked the behind the scenes, all the Type-10's were CGI.
I couldve sworn they had a few real ones and the rest they copy & paste with digital fx. I might be mixing Shin with a past film.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Not Godzilla strictly but...
Spoiler:
Damn. I mean if you can't get past the fact you're gonna be seeing impossible shit then maybe not watch sci-fi movies. They're not wrong that it'd be impossible but I think they don't realize the irony that even the scientist in the movies are calling bullshit and trying figure out the how and why.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler tag'd because image is oversized

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Living Corpse wrote:Not Godzilla strictly but...
Spoiler:
Damn. I mean if you can't get past the fact you're gonna be seeing impossible shit then maybe not watch sci-fi movies. They're not wrong that it'd be impossible but I think they don't realize the irony that even the scientist in the movies are calling bullshit and trying figure out the how and why.
LC - next time you post something that is 11266 pixels in height - slap that gigantic scroll bar destroyer in a spoiler tag please.

Ain't nobody got time to scroll past that and or the mobile data to :P

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Oh look more "realism"

At this point I have to wonder why some people even watch movies outside of wanting something to bitch about. It's like they are trying to take the imagination out of moving images.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:Oh look more "realism"

At this point I have to wonder why some people even watch movies outside of wanting something to skreeonk about. It's like they are trying to take the imagination out of moving images.
It pretty much ties into all the autistic people who feel the need to classify each monster into some sort of predefined category of cryptozoology, or paler people arguing over the structure of bones and shit. Sorry, they're fictional creatures and don't adhere to whatever preconceived notions you have, and quite frankly no one really cares.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

At this point I have to wonder why some people even watch movies outside of wanting something to skreeonk about. It's like they are trying to take the imagination out of moving images.
Why do you even respond to posts like this dude? It always annoys you, just let it go. Who cares what some random poster online thinks about a movie.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

It pretty much ties into all the autistic people who feel the need to classify each monster into some sort of predefined category of cryptozoology, or paler people arguing over the structure of bones and Hedorah. Sorry, they're fictional creatures and don't adhere to whatever preconceived notions you have, and quite frankly no one really cares.
Don't know why you feel the need to label people who do that for fun as autistic but, I digress. Now many of the people who do as you described know full well that creatures like Baragon or Rhedosaurus were created with the intent as just being giant miscellaneous dinosaurs/reptiles. However, they like to have fun and speculate and that's all it really is, just fun and speculation. I saw a post on Tumblr a few weeks back about Gomora's possible taxonomy and it was an entertaining and interesting read. It isn't doing anyone any harm when folks like to speculate like this.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Because it's a good label and more accurate than misnoming people than saying they're OCD. It's not doing any harm you say, but then there's people that take this shit seriously and criticize others for it, and get into heated debates over it. The post living corpse is a good example, but there's far worse.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzillian wrote: Why do you even respond to posts like this dude? It always annoys you, just let it go. Who cares what some random poster online thinks about a movie.
1. Why did you ignore my last response to you?

2. I'll say it again, do you not know what topic you're in or it's purpose?

3. No, it doesn't always annoy me. It can and sometimes does, but other times I find it amusing, it's a case by case thing.

4. Why do you single me out? There's been other posts in here by other members who talked about how they met or know somebody whose said or assumed something stupid or weird about the kaiju genera.

5. Right now the only thing getting on my nerves is you and one other member, cause it seems like you are going out of your way to try and "trigger" me, by saying "why do you hang out with the guy if he triggers you so much" when others have called me patient for even putting up with him, and of the, what, 11 times he did or said something incredibly stupid only two of those examples did I lose my temper for pretty understandable reasons such as treating a waitress serving us like crap.

6. Why do you care what I post?

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Because it's a good label and more accurate than misnoming people than saying they're OCD. It's not doing any harm you say, but then there's people that take this Hedorah seriously and criticize others for it, and get into heated debates over it. The post living corpse is a good example, but there's far worse.
Yes there are some that take it too far but, they're in the minority. Many as I've said do this for just for fun and for discussion without it getting heated and respect each other as I've seen here. The people that do this (more so the ones that aren't super serious about it) aren't a major problem as you're making it out to be imo. As for Living Corpse's case, that just sounds like a person who drains the imagination out these films period.

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

According to someone every kaiju movie is a "big dumbass dinosaur that destroys a city", quite ignorant.

Snake
Samurai

Post by Snake »

My uncle viewed Godzilla as simply "a big lizard" that could be easily killed by a well-placed round from a .32 caliber single shooter between the eyes. He also said, without a hint of irony, that "the Japanese have to watch our movies now" because we defeated them in the Second World War.

Yeah, he was a jerk.
They never found any corpse.